Announcement

I hate always being that guy. But yeah, even though the Continuum made an art of treating the world as its toy, this most certainly is not a game, and we would do well to remember that in how we conduct our alliance affairs and treat other nation leaders in the future.

;)

Edited by General Specific

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, that still doesn't make any sense. Most people took issue with the Continuum not because of an inherent opposition to any form of dominant power, but the way in which the Continuum abused this power and the methods it employed in maintaining its position. If a new hegemon does eventually materialise and 'acts nice' - for example, it does not involve itself in wars of aggression supported by trumped-up casus belli, does not extort technology and money, does not participate in EZI and PZI, does not commit to eternal wars, does not wage war against 'OOC attacks' while simultaneously committing them, and so on - I believe there would be far, far less opposition and criticism. So, in essence, the foundation you are attempting to establish for another future "hypocrite" propaganda campaign along the lines of "you criticised Continuum, so you must automatically criticise this new dominant power!" is built on sand.

Yeah, and maybe the sugar-plum fairy and Santa Claus will bring toys and happiness to all of planet Bob.

Face facts kids, you are just trading one set of slave masters for another.

The only differece will be in the propoganda they use while they subject you.

Yeah, and maybe the sugar-plum fairy and Santa Claus will bring toys and happiness to all of planet Bob.

There is a difference between Satan and Santa Claus. Subtle, yes, but they are different.

Satan gave us a toilet seat. Santa now is offering us TP.

Can I have the lottery numbers for this weekend while you are at your crystal ball?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (resume laughing later)

Pacifica may have been defended in this war, but the dissolving of this treaty shows that NPO will not have such meatshields muscle backing it in the future. :awesome:

So I'm feeling purdy good right now. ^^

I am not sure why are you giving it deeper meaning. The Continuum had political and military rivals, in order to secure their supremacy they eliminated them through whatever methods they found reasonable. Did they commit any crime doing so? That will depend on the perspective. Ultimatelly they were playing the game. Does it make the game boring to dominate the game? Definetly. Can that be called a crime? Not really. They made their choices which allowed them to stay ahead in the game, and that should be perfectly fine with anyone. As much as it's perfectly fine that a group of alliances, Karma, decided to finish the period of political domination. You found the game was boring as it was, and you changed it - you played the game. As the Continuum has done - that is, played the game - for one year and a half. I recall a Grämlins member saying some months ago that the Continuum fulfilled its purpose, which was to allow its alliances to grow in prosperity and influence - and that is the whole truth, independently of someone questioning their methods.

Firstly, what exactly is wrong with giving something a 'deeper meaning' when the analysis is accurate? Yes, the Continuum was playing the game, but in doing so, forced countless players and communities from the game. I am glad we agree that dominating the game is not inherently a heinous, 'criminal' act. However, what you fail to realise is that many of the tools utilised by the Continuum - the New Pacific Order in particular - in perpetuating their control over Cyberverse affairs were indeed considered crimes by the majority of the community. As I outlined earlier, wars of aggression supported by trumped-up casus belli, the destruction of communities, the extortion of technology and money, the use of PZI and EZI as means of suppressing political opposition, eternal wars, waging war against 'OOC attacks' whilst simultaneously committing them, and so on, are prime examples of such transgressions. How can you possibly sit there and claim that everyone should be "perfectly fine" with these offenses simply because they were part of a larger plan to extend the Continuum's stranglehold on political and military matters? The hegemony of The Continuum was on life support for quite some time. It was kept alive artificially by some of the most conniving and detestable actions this world has ever witnessed.

Alliances will always commit crimes, they have always had, even some of the alliances who currently are part of Hegemony. The motivation is the same: Power. The stagnation will also always happen, provided there is a group with significant dominance at military and political level, regardless of the methods used. It would probably take longer to take down any political or military opposition if the methods were right - and the fairness of methods depends on each alliance's mind, provided it abides by CN's Terms of Service - but it would still happen anyway.

No, not all alliances are willing to disregard their principles and stoop to new lows each time their dominance is threatened.

Who is this new invisible oppressor you speak of?

Also, you could do without the condescension.

Edited by Revanche

Here's to [...] going out on our terms.

:D You just couldn't resist could you? One last sentence giving you a feeling of power and control, for old time's sake. How pathetic.

1 free reality check for you: The NS and power behind Q was destroyed, and there was nothing you could do about it. I guess you'll have to quit using the NS of others to bully your way around now? :(

Edited by Aimee Mann

This is purely symbolic – all the alliances of Continuum either were or are fighting on Hegemony's side, and the cancellation of the treaty won't make any difference to that. (I think all the alliances that are still fighting are still connected to NPO anyway, so I wouldn't even expect an effect on peace conditions.)

However, it is a huge symbol. Rightly or wrongly, Continuum has been seen as the material incarnation of the Hegemony for at least a year, and its dissolution is a grand scale admission of geopolitical defeat for the Hegemony.

These are interesting times, like those at the end of the Unjust War – for a few weeks or months the political stage is clear, and the world is watching and waiting for the next act.

May we live in interesting times.

[OOC] Is that a Terry Pratchett reference I spy with my evil eye, or are you just into Eastern Philosophy? Either way, kudos.[/OOC]

Really guys...This whole "You'll be just like us." argument is old, stale, and nothing more than an admission of guilt after years of "Who us? We didn't do any of those things! lulz". The major differences between us(Karma or those who are siding with Karma) and you(as in you other guys) is that we begged for years to get you to listen and in a lot of cases, just leave us alone. Enjoy the fruits of your labors. This is what you've always wanted right? Someone to step up and "Do something about it!" as you folks were so fond of saying (ad nauseam) for quite some time now. We obliged you, yet you still complain? What more can we do?

In short, you keep pushing and even the meekest of men will become a blood-thirsty psychotic. Which is exactly the only thing you(The Continuum) have ever really accomplished with any real consistency. I believe I shall depart this thread by paraphrasing the Metal God Oderus, The Scumdog of the Universe:

In the name of GWAR, in the name of love,

In the name of the blood dripping out of the sun,

I call out your God, till before me he stands,

But don't send me Franco, he's only a man!

Now everyone promise to not make overly complex MDP webs so we can have fun microwars in the future.

I doubt you'll see any more megablocs for a long while. Certainly none as intertwined and complex as Q was.

Also, be careful what you wish for....