Announcement

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more card-carrying member of the Piss on Nizzle Club. Hope those boners are worth it.

Not my fault that my stream of righteousness drowns out the flames of intolerance and ignorance.

But on subject, I havn't been around the majority of Continuum's existence, but I know something about why FAN was declared upon both times. And the first was due to a fear that FAN would betray us (which may very well have happened, I mean, considering GOONs eventual moves its not like it was a big deal in the grand scheme of things, though.), whereas the Second was to kick them while they were down. The outrage was justified.

Makes sense really. The Continuum was never designed to win wars. It was designed to prevent them. So as soon as it failed, and a war against it was allowed to happen, it was done for.

Huh.

You know that's really a good and truthful way to look at this.

Makes sense really. The Continuum was never designed to win wars. It was designed to prevent them. So as soon as it failed, and a war against it was allowed to happen, it was done for.

Sort of speaks to the character (or lack thereof) of those involved, doesn't it?

As I outlined earlier, wars of aggression supported by trumped-up casus belli, the destruction of communities, the extortion of technology and money, the use of PZI and EZI as means of suppressing political opposition, eternal wars, waging war against 'OOC attacks' whilst simultaneously committing them, and so on, are prime examples of such transgressions.
As I recall more then a few members of "Karma" participated in, and committed, such acts during their time as a branch of the "Hegemony."
No, not all alliances are willing to disregard their principles and stoop to new lows each time their dominance is threatened.
Yet.

After all, how can the monk whose never seen a woman say that he's resisted the seductions of the female temptress?

As I recall more then a few members of "Karma" participated in, and committed, such acts during their time as a branch of the "Hegemony."

That's called "hypocrisy". And "Cowardice". And throw in "opportunism" for good measure.

Yet.

After all, how can the monk whose never seen a woman say that he's resisted the seductions of the female temptress?

He can.

He'd just be lying his $@! off.

Lest we forget that half the Karma side is just as guilty of the stuff that we are all excoriating the Continuum/One Vision remnants for.

I sure haven't forgotten.

Continuum essentially used the reminder of the power of WUT to give it an illusion of strength. Like others have mentioned, it used this hearkening back to externally indestructable WUT to scare off people, while it was really a paper tiger.

Lest we forget that half the Karma side is just as guilty of the stuff that we are all excoriating the Continuum/One Vision remnants for.

Ya heard the man, lets get the witch hunt into full gear :D

To pitchforks!

Make no mistake outside forces did not break Continuum, the destabilization progress was a result of innovation and change in political thought from within Continuum itself.

You know your bloc sucks hard when innovation is its downfall. Welcome to the real world where alliances thrive off of innovation.

As I see this argument used over and over again I feel like I have to share my view on it. Nothing says that others that have commited crimes against alliances and now fight on the karma side will never get what's comming to them but if we lined up all completely innocent alliances and pitted them against the rest of the alliances they'd be out numbered 100 to 1. The alliances with crimes in their luggage fighting on the karma side are likely going to change their ways, not all but most I think. The point of this war was to change how the world worked not getting petty revenge. The fact that we need a war to change the world is unfortunate but true. This is why the 'karma are all hypocrites because alliances in it have commited crimes too' doesn't hold up. If this war was about revenge on the ones that commited the crimes it would be but as far as I'm concerned this war is not about revenge.

I'm sure they haven't either, but hey they can't let little things like "truth" and "facts" get in the way of rewriting and glossing over history. :rolleyes:
Ya heard the man, lets get the witch hunt into full gear :D

To pitchforks!

I have no pitchfork. I do, however, have a torch. Will that suffice?

When you're eating a slice of pizza do you just shove the whole thing in your mouth or do you take manageable bites?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Because I can totally do it either way.

Either way, looking forward to your eventual spongey vengeance.

When you're eating a slice of pizza do you just shove the whole thing in your mouth or do you take manageable bites?

I wouldn't think this would be an issue for a mouth of your size.

Yeah, hangers on bailing once their asses get on the line. Who'da thunk? :awesome:

Basically. I mean, the history of the Continuum is pretty well known by this point, I'd hope. It was never meant to fight or win wars. Here's the quick version though.

The Continuum was formed to replace the meatshields (political and NS meat that is) that the NPO lost when Polaris killed all her allies. It worked by isolating those were out of favor or feared (Polaris being a victim of this, and one of the largest reasons the bloc even formed), denying wars from existing where there would be unfavorable results to the NPO, creating stagnation to prevent competition, and using their un-challenged position to bully and abuse the defenseless. It worked wonders.

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion about whether or not the bloc failed. There is no yes or no answer. There are some in the Continuum who realize that my above paraghraph is the truth and there are some who will deny it. They will claim that it was merely a collection of friends working for mutual benefit. They probably aren't lying, they are just ignorant to what they were a part of. Perhaps one day they'll figure it out, but it will have to happen on their own terms for them to accept it.

So did it succeed or fail? The answer is largely in the eye of the beholder. At the things I listed above, it largely succeeded in the short term. It drove unwanted alliances from the game and the community, forced players to go into seclusion, created beneficial stagnation for over a year, and brought large rivals to their knees. They also succeeded at uniting half the game against said actions and brought about their own fall. For those who are unable to believe the truth and will state that the Continuum was just a happy fun group with innocent intentions, then it should be a failure in their eyes.

Regardless, it is dead now by its own hand. Actions do still have repercussions and this is what happens when you back a few hundred people into a corner. Perhaps the lesson will be learned, but I doubt it. Weak minds are only capable of doing simple things, and to expect more is to ignore the history of these players actions.

That sound rumbling that is almost audible, is the vacuum created with the demise of the continuum. Some alliance will take over the mantle recently occupied by the NPO. The number one spot comes with some hard lessons; by just being number one your enemies with be self-appointed, you will become the target of spies by those who consider it better tactics to spy and wars will be waged against you with unconventional means. Will the new power be able to fight this with the means the anti-hegemony do not label tyrannical?

Edited by yggdrazil

As I see this argument used over and over again I feel like I have to share my view on it. Nothing says that others that have commited crimes against alliances and now fight on the karma side will never get what's comming to them but if we lined up all completely innocent alliances and pitted them against the rest of the alliances they'd be out numbered 100 to 1. The alliances with crimes in their luggage fighting on the karma side are likely going to change their ways, not all but most I think. The point of this war was to change how the world worked not getting petty revenge. The fact that we need a war to change the world is unfortunate but true. This is why the 'karma are all hypocrites because alliances in it have commited crimes too' doesn't hold up. If this war was about revenge on the ones that commited the crimes it would be but as far as I'm concerned this war is not about revenge.
Two points.

First, my main problem lies with the fact that most of the alliances on "Karma's" side who committed said crimes and their defenders here are the forums do not, in my experience, willingly own up to them. Instead they are more then happy to do the politically expedient thing, and just lay the blame all at NPO, et al's feet. This disingenuous and hypocritical, and calling them on it amuses me. Hence my posts.

Second, the word change is tossed around as a buzzword to gather political support because it's easy to say, easy to commit to, and easy to ignore once you've won. I'll put money "Karma's" change falling through within a few months, at which time those who are grounded in political reality will probably take over, while those who continue to live in the land of unicorns and rainbows will probably find themselves delegated to irrelevancy.

Edited by Fallen_Fool

That sound rumbling that is almost audible, is the vacuum created with the demise of the continuum. Some alliance will take over the mantle, recently occupied by the NPO. The number one spot comes with some hard lessons; by just being number one your enemies with be self-appointed, you will become the target of spies by those who consider it better tactics to spy and wars will be waged against you with unconventional means. Will the new power be able to fight this with the means the anti-hegemony do not label tyrannical.

My esteemed colleague and I share the same assessment. The cycle shall begin anew.