Post Karma War: entertainment

jerdge

Fun before and after the Karma War  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't predict the next huge alliance war happening for another few months; but if I'm wrong, I suppose it'll be because of GOONS latest "Pro-Piracy" act going astray.

I really doubt GOONS will have this kind of impact. Nobody would start a war over them proclaiming open season on the unaligned; lots of alliances already raid 3v1, the thread is just a place where people debate the practice.

Huge wars only happen when people are looking for one. The rest of the time, when disputes come up, they get settled.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things aren't slow. There just aren't any famous spy rings around to post publications about Citadel, C&G, SF, and FB. Just because I don't know what's happening behind closed doors doesn't mean that nothing is happening.

There really wouldnt be anything to publish about FB anyway. Not that we wouldnt want to be secretly playing everyone against one another, Im sure. ;)

I really doubt GOONS will have this kind of impact. Nobody would start a war over them proclaiming open season on the unaligned; lots of alliances already raid 3v1, the thread is just a place where people debate the practice.

Huge wars only happen when people are looking for one. The rest of the time, when disputes come up, they get settled.

Hmm, I'm sorry then. I just read the topic, and the semi-heated discussion that went along with it. I guess it sort of implanted itself into my head.

I cannot overstate how true this is. There has NEVER been a global war except when at least one side wants it, and very rarely without both sides wanting it (At the very least the second side must be resgined to it). World wars do not "just happen". Every now and then we see an event that could trigger a world war, but it always gets defused. Why? Because people aren't ready for one yet. We'll get a world war when there are two clearly defined sides that want to kill each other. Not before. Everyone is very passive right now, but this being CN, sooner or later we will get two sides that want to kill each other.

-Bama

There's tension. There's always tension. It's just a matter of whether the mob on the OWF gets to see it or not.

Are you in the guild? If not keep quiet, else the mob will be playing the game, and that's just too wrong.

Sans Coulottes

Obligitory for this page Frogery.

Stuff I thought up on the fly. Take it or leave it.

Fear: Like it or not, everyone's still afraid of getting rolled and thus won't take major chances. Sure, the old thing that used to be feared (The Hegemony / Pacifica / whatever) is beaten and not going to be big and nasty for a long while but that doesn't change anything fundamentally. I doubt that, even with all the "Friends Before Infra" rhetoric floating around, that there are too many alliances willing to bet their existence as a viable force on their friends really being there no matter what (the word "mandatory" having been shown to be less-than-mandatory). People are scared, people don't want to take risks and it's all because they don't want their nations shot out from under them. So, essentially, nothing has changed.

Hyena Statesmanship: We all come to the CN Forums on a regular basis to keep up on what we refer to as "the drama" - in other words, we're here to watch someone else bugger up really badly and get pounded into the dirt while we laugh at their silliness and sip our drinks. As the situation progresses we then, if its worth it, seek ways to exploit it for our own benefit and for the benefit of our friends. In essence, we're here to profit from someone else's demise. Same old stuff.

Lack of Innovation: For some odd reason it seems that the Cyberverse politics rely heavily on the same old crowd of people to do everything. Be it Moo, Doitzel, Sponge, Tyga, Ivan or anyone else on a list of names which I'd hazard isn't longer than two-hundred in total we're all waiting for one of them to go do something that we all recognize and then follow along with nicely. Rarely does a new face show up to shake the Cyberverse and, even then, they mostly just get ridiculed and ignored. We're sitting here waiting for others to start the fun for us. Been there, done that, still doing that.

Lack of Pizzazz: Honestly, outside of a few alliances who are known to raise hairs almost every time they post something (Pacifica, FAN, GOONS, RAD-IS-Bel Air and Vox Populi are the only ones coming to mind, actually) everyone does the same old tired dance. It's hard to say what it is that makes an alliance announcement consistently different and interesting but, for the most part, alliances simply don't got it. More flair and personality might be a welcome addition but for now we're still following the same old formula.

Lack of Innovation: For some odd reason it seems that the Cyberverse politics rely heavily on the same old crowd of people to do everything. Be it Moo, Doitzel, Sponge, Tyga, Ivan or anyone else on a list of names which I'd hazard isn't longer than two-hundred in total we're all waiting for one of them to go do something that we all recognize and then follow along with nicely. Rarely does a new face show up to shake the Cyberverse and, even then, they mostly just get ridiculed and ignored. We're sitting here waiting for others to start the fun for us. Been there, done that, still doing that.

Lack of Pizzazz: Honestly, outside of a few alliances who are known to raise hairs almost every time they post something (Pacifica, FAN, GOONS, RAD-IS-Bel Air and Vox Populi are the only ones coming to mind, actually) everyone does the same old tired dance. It's hard to say what it is that makes an alliance announcement consistently different and interesting but, for the most part, alliances simply don't got it. More flair and personality might be a welcome addition but for now we're still following the same old formula.

This is why I'm just going to sit here and watch (and maybe heckle Moldavi a bit). I've got all the time in the world, baby.

Heh well when I led Soldier and we were under TPF protection, Soldier gov got into it with Rangarok gov and TailsK queried mhawk asking him to roll Soldier. Well, mhawk said no and tensions ran high. Eventually talks between both parties ended and they were both preparing for something to pop off. Apparently Duckroll and Super Friends were ready to go at it and Soldier was the most populated IRC channel on at the time. Yeah we were insignificant and nothing materialized but no doubt it was some of the funnest times I've ever had. The build up, the trash talk, it's like nothing else. It's why I still play.

Edited by The AUT

I now find (the forums at the very least) more boring than ever, it's always been hard for one guy to stick their head out to stir up some fun in this game and looks like the trend is goind to remain the same. Maybe in a long time something will happen, but for now, I expect we can just twiddle our thumbs.

The basic problem, if you want to call it that, is very simple.

Before the Karma War, the treaty web had coalesced into a balance of terror, similar to Europe before WWI, only worse. The web of interlocking defense relationships that had been set up guaranteed that anyone who wanted to start a huge war had very little chance of victory. Put simply: the amount of nation strength that would be shifted towards the defensive side was much bigger than any potential aggressive force.

For various reasons, Moo-Cows decided to try and beat the treatyweb anyway. He failed, and NPO is now under major terms of surrender. Other alliance leaders contemplating similar revolts must have taken that as a signal that the political reality had changed, and none of them possess nearly as much force as he did before the war. And nobody is going to risk receiving the kinds of terms that NPO got.

So you're not going to get this kind of revolt against the treatyweb anytime soon. Not until the strategic situation fundamentally changes.

The best you can hope for in terms of wars is for smaller alliances and blocs to fight, which is now quite a bit more likely as power is now much less centralized than it was under Continuum.

Of course, there's a whole lot more to this game than just wars, but a lot of people don't get that.