Post Karma War: entertainment

jerdge

Fun before and after the Karma War  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politically this game is now rather boring for the regular players.

On the nation building level a lot is going on. Many alliances are rebuilding pretty fast after the last war.

I never would have thought this sentence would ever leave my keybord, but I think the Cyberverse could really use an alliance like GOONS right now, a bully alliance booting a lot of the small, insignificant alliances out of existence. There are way to many alliances right now and it would create some political tension.

Edited by Il Principe

However, I don't understand this topic, and it's seemed to come up since GWIII. People always seem to say they are bored, and want another war, but then do nothing. Personally, I don't even understand why people need a war to have fun. The majority of the fun I have in this game is hanging out with my alliance mates on IRC, and just talking about stuff. But that may just be me.

It's not just you. Also I can confirm; I joined the summer after GWIII, and the "Why won't someone else start a war for me" whining has been going on the whole time I've been here, altho it really picked up after UJW.

I doubt I'll ever have as much fun in this game as I did in Vox Populi.

I think there's a lot of opportunity right now. We're experiencing a natural downtime due to the OOC time of year and the post-war cool-down period. We'll see if individuals and alliances start taking the initiative. I don't have high hopes frankly, but I've been surprised before.

Same. I can't see the future, but I don't foresee having as much fun as I did in Vox again. Frankly, the freedom Vox afforded can't be matched now that we're back mainstream with traditionally-functioning alliances and things to lose if we "mess up."

I'm having less fun for the fact that nothing can match Vox, but I don't think it'll get worse.

CDT+Poseidon is two blocs, and they're not really considered a main power cluster.

This may change with time, though.

They like to think they are, but i agree ;)

Anyhoo. post war is interesting. with Q dissolved and NPO tied down with terms for the immediate future you got alot of alliances looking for homes. IRON appears to be all but in Citadel while NATO went back to CDT and the Superfriends added CSN(Not that we we're already all but members..) GGA took the opportunity to try to turn over a new leaf by hooking up with Athens and distancing themselves from the Hegemony.

Maybe we'll get that big Christmas war that everyone says is "going to happen over Christmas break" every year..

I never would have thought this sentence would ever leave my keybord, but I think the Cyberverse could really use an alliance like GOONS right now, a bully alliance booting a lot of the small, insignificant alliances out of existence.

So now it takes bullying to start a war? silly me i'd settle for a good CB

GGA took the opportunity to try to turn over a new leaf by hooking up with Athens and distancing themselves from the Hegemony.

No, they didn't.

Their only treaties to former Karma alliances are M*A*S*H (who fought them), Brigade and ODN (who were MDPed to them before the war). Well, and UJA with VE. They're still tied to UPN, NATO, TORN, and IRON I believe.

CN is getting very dull. Global politics doesn't really exist any more, everything is becoming more fragmented and based on sphere politics or insular groups of friends, the general trend towards smaller alliances led by a handful of attention-seekers who will never really make any difference continues and 80% of the OWF now features just several alliances who like to keep the rest of us updated with their every move. Everybody needs an enemy, every status quo needs to be constantly challenged.

I am old and wish things were like they used to be. Now where are my slippers?

Politically this game is now rather boring for the regular players.

On the nation building level a lot is going on. Many alliances are rebuilding pretty fast after the last war.

I never would have thought this sentence would ever leave my keybord, but I think the Cyberverse could really use an alliance like GOONS right now, a bully alliance booting a lot of the small, insignificant alliances out of existence. There are way to many alliances right now and it would create some political tension.

The UJW is why we are here today. To NPO's credit it was willing to make wars when it was in power. To its discredit its version of making war was to ally with 80% of the powerful alliances in the game (or their most important allies) and attack the 10-20% that wasn't allied to them. It's not just NPO but the entire culture of everyone being tied to each other as each individual alliance just tries to avoid getting curbstomped. The karma war broke up that central power structure, but the culture of just trying to avoid getting rolled has remained and so nearly everyone tries to avoid provoking everyone else as much as possible. Everyone is survivalist and goes along to get along. That may change, but I'm not optimistic.

If the Unjust war had ended differently we might have had a culture that was more lulzy and less survivalist.

CDT+Poseidon is two blocs, and they're not really considered a main power cluster.

This may change with time, though.

Ridiculous. Even if you ignore the two overlapping members (who are also the two strongest members of both blocs), CDT by itself is on par with Frostbite and C&G. With the added strength of Poseidon they're almost equal with SuperFriends. I don't see any reason not to consider them one of the five powers.

Q stagnated the game for a really long time, but as a solid entity it was easier to break up in the end than what we have now: numerous blocks interconnected with numerous treaties. Individual alliances dislike individual alliances, and there are some individual alliances that are unpopular but there's no block that is really unpopular. The better liked alliances in various blocks protect the less liked ones from getting into trouble.

This is quite true. Each bloc has members that are popular and unpopular with the world at large. TOP vs Gre, GOD vs RIA, NSO vs STA, etc. Quite interesting really.

God no. I'm home at my family at Christmas. Would be sad if attacked.

At least us Jews get to enjoy the war since Chanukkah is early this year :P. Anyways, as I stated before I expect things to heat up in October and November and who knows, we might see a Christmas War if we all tried enough. I wouldn't mind. :D

Pretty dull compared to the Karma buildup. All the quality productions are missed. There is not enough Sponge (where did you guys put him?), and Star Wars themes are the best entertainment we have (though at least Schatt posts about stuff). People desperately are trying to stick the most likable group in the game, Citadel, with the Hegemony label. Dull compared to before the war, Citadel does not a good bogeyman make.

I'm optimistic about the future however unrelated to Foreign Affairs these potential developments may be.

Edit: Grammar hey

Edited by eyriq

The lesser informed will always be bored, so get involved in your alliances and climb up to the levels where info flows more freely, where your actions make a difference. Fun comes when you actually play the game, no rocket science behind this really. -.-

This individual speaks absolute truth.

If you are content simply nation building, you don't see what all the fuss is about. If you aren't, then get to where the game is actually being played.

Voted more fun and it'll continue to get better. It might just be because school has restarted and I can only check the forums once in a while but there's usually a few funny threads interspersed throughout the forums and there's usually the odd power play too, ableit subtle. Certainly makes for an interesting read imo and it beats the funny papers.

I voted less fun, simply because the build up to and the beginning of the Karma War was some of the most fun I've had in this game.

For me, the build up to the Karma war was one of the most agonizing periods of the game. I hadn't had a war since the MK war, so it was nice to see war on the horizon, but it was just so slow! I was so happy when the war finally happened, even if we did lose.

Hmm, interesting question. I deleted my nation after the Continuum-GPA War, so I wasn't around to witness the epic "this is what you get" of the Karma War, but I have to say that things are less interesting then they were before. The "oppression" of the New Pacific Order was, as much as I dislike to admit it [as a former Vox Populi member], the pepper and salt of CyberNations; it provided the drama that everyone so desperately sought out. And after Vox's amazing egging on of the start of revolution, things started to dull down. After Pacifica's never-ending quest for power was brought down to a low of what it once was, and alliances started to dull down after taking on such reparations, things started to get a lot duller and less interesting. I even find myself posting in small alliance war threads to try and search for even the slightest glimpse of action on Planet Bob.

I just wish things wouldn't be so.. slow. I don't predict the next huge alliance war happening for another few months; but if I'm wrong, I suppose it'll be because of GOONS latest "Pro-Piracy" act going astray.

Edited by x8BitL0gic

Oh god I wish they were making alliances like TDSM8, then I'd have a lot less to complain about. Instead they're making alliances like GDI.

I am seriously disappointed of you. GDI doesn't exist anymore and you're still making fun of it; it's not even funny anymore.

But in regards to the topic...

I think people have the most fun when they are fighting huge global wars, inter-bellum is never fun.