Post Karma War: entertainment

jerdge

Fun before and after the Karma War  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember how, way before the Karma War, many people said that the Hegemony had "blocked" the game.

According to that theory CN had become boring and stagnating because of a severe lack of competition (or due to the Pacifican oppression, etc. - feel free to pick the reason you like the most).

There were people saying that we would have had more fun with the Hegemony "out of the way".

I now propose to you a couple of very simple questions, to see the what the average forum junkie's opinion on the subject is. I hope the polls are acceptably unbiased... :)

Note that I am asking you to try guess the "general" level of satisfaction, rather than just expressing just your own one (which you're welcome to discuss in your posts, anyway).

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game is getting less interesting by the day. People aren't doing anything beyond signing more treaties and making more crappy small alliances that don't go anywhere. Doesn't look like this trend will change either.

I sort of disagree with that. Behind the scenes there is a good amount of interesting stuff going on. Alliances are trying to find their way in this new post-Karma world we live in. And that should set up some interesting times ahead.

Game is getting less interesting by the day. People aren't doing anything beyond signing more treaties and making more crappy small alliances that don't go anywhere. Doesn't look like this trend will change either.

Yes, exactly, people just keep making alliances like TDSM8.

Anyway, I voted that it was the same and will remain so.

I voted we are having less fun because even though we lacked a military opposition we had a political opposition. I think it will continue to go down for a bit than improve hopefully but only if the alliances in Karma are willing to pick up some of the slack and act as a catalyst for events, love us or hate us the NPO actually did stuff far more than any other alliance.

I voted we are having less fun because even though we lacked a military opposition we had a political opposition. I think it will continue to go down for a bit than improve hopefully but only if the alliances in Karma are willing to pick up some of the slack and act as a catalyst for events, love us or hate us the NPO actually did stuff far more than any other alliance.

agreed; paradise is boring

I doubt I'll ever have as much fun in this game as I did in Vox Populi.

I think there's a lot of opportunity right now. We're experiencing a natural downtime due to the OOC time of year and the post-war cool-down period. We'll see if individuals and alliances start taking the initiative. I don't have high hopes frankly, but I've been surprised before.

I wouldn't say it's getting LESS interesting... This is the same thing people did throughout the Hegemonic period. So I voted "same". The landscape of CN has changed beyond recognition, but the attitudes and practices with regards to how foreign affairs are generally conducted haven't changed much. Obviously it's now more acceptable to sign treaties with some alliances and less acceptable to do so with others, but the basic approach is the same. As for the future? Let's face it: This is CN. An enormous hegemony couldn't prevent a world-shaking war from happening eventually. And so no matter how long the prevailing attitudes of foreign affairs continue, one will happen eventually. How long will it take? I have no idea. But unless Admin decides to close up shop, there will be another world war.

-Bama

As usual jerdge, you do not disappoint. ;) Well, I can't speak much for the pre-Karma War period as I was virtually non-existant then, but if I had to take a gander at a guess, I'd say we're about the same then as now, maybe a little less. It will also remain more or less the same for the forseeable future as we set up for whatever the inevitable next conflict will be.

The thing that is boring me most is people complaining that the game is boring :psyduck:

Feel free to make your own fun if any of you are really that bored, because there are plenty of ways that you can entertain yourself in CN. Of course, some of these ways require imagination and time, but some can be carried out immediately for insta-fun if that is what you need. The point being that you don't have to depend on other people creating fun for you, you just choose to because you're lazy and want to be spoon-fed entertainment.

Edited by Aimee Mann

Certain elements need to be removed from power.

Furthermore the 4 power blocs of CN lead to stagnation; we need to have more of a polar world.

But i do see this changing in the future; the world is not NEARLY as concrete as it used to be.

Edited by willirica

It's been pretty much the same. Some of the posts seem to be made with more freedom, though. Could be me though.

Either way, I'm trying to keep myself entertained with the lolpink crowd. Just not in the way everyone else thinks. Of course, it'll really kick off once someone finds a real CB for war.

Yes, exactly, people just keep making alliances like TDSM8.

You've got a real knack for humor, making sarcastic posts about great alliances.

Edited by Rey the Great

There's absolutely no tension right now. No one is acting belligerent. No one is perceived as belligerent. That makes the game kind of boring, and I don't see that changing. Peace is fine if you have a little bit of tension to go with it. I think most alliances feel like they have too much to lose in the current world in order to risk making tension. Also maybe people are still on the downslide after such a crazy war.

I do think the current bloc situation creates stagnation.

Edited by DogeWilliam

How far before the Karma War? Because that impacts my answer. The handful of months immediately preceding the Karma War were obviously more interesting as that was the most politically interesting period since GWIII. Aside from 4-5 month build up period to the Karma War, this is the most interesting I've seen the game since end of UjW. NoCB was important and fun to watch just because something was happening, but it was obvious what was going to happen and how it would turn out.

My biggest problem from an entertainment is always knowing what's going to happen next. I enjoy trying to figure it out and I especially enjoy it when I'm right, but if I always know for sure what's going to happen, then it's not nearly as entertaining. It's like having the ending of a book or movie spoiled before you start. Sure, you can still appreciate the journey, but it takes away some of the kick. That's why I enjoyed the first few months of this year, and why I enjoy now. I don't know what is going to happen and that makes things interesting regardless of what is actually happening at the moment.

The world doesn't have predetermined endings right now. If you aren't entertained then you aren't trying hard enough to entertain yourself. This isn't a TV show where you can expect to be force fed drama. You get out of it what you put into it.

The problem is that there are no two sides competing against each other as of this moment. What happened was that for a while, the hegemony controlled everything, and so the game was not fun. Then forces like Vox Populi and Karma came into being, and the game was fun again. Now, we are in a similar situation as before, however it's a bit different this time. Now we are in that same situation of the hegemony controlling everything, except with no hegemony. There are no two sides going at each other. What the game needs is conflict, and for players to start causing more.