Post Karma War: entertainment

jerdge

Fun before and after the Karma War  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The basic problem, if you want to call it that, is very simple.

Before the Karma War, the treaty web had coalesced into a balance of terror, similar to Europe before WWI, only worse. The web of interlocking defense relationships that had been set up guaranteed that anyone who wanted to start a huge war had very little chance of victory. Put simply: the amount of nation strength that would be shifted towards the defensive side was much bigger than any potential aggressive force.

For various reasons, Moo-Cows decided to try and beat the treatyweb anyway. He failed, and NPO is now under major terms of surrender. Other alliance leaders contemplating similar revolts must have taken that as a signal that the political reality had changed, and none of them possess nearly as much force as he did before the war. And nobody is going to risk receiving the kinds of terms that NPO got.

So you're not going to get this kind of revolt against the treatyweb anytime soon. Not until the strategic situation fundamentally changes.

The best you can hope for in terms of wars is for smaller alliances and blocs to fight, which is now quite a bit more likely as power is now much less centralized than it was under Continuum.

Of course, there's a whole lot more to this game than just wars, but a lot of people don't get that.

Not exactly, the treaty web didn't play much of a role in the Karma War, especially considering how many treaties were violated and/or "voided" for "moral reasons." Right now, most alliance leaders are afraid to start a war because any aggressive action is seen as crime by the Moral Police that is the CN community. Whenever an alliance or bloc removes another alliance or bloc for personal gain, that is somehow viewed as "ruining the game" for the victim alliance or bloc. However, it seems to me that the ones ruining the game are the ones who are trying to stifle those simply trying to get ahead. This is a game, and every alliance should be looking out for its own interests at all times; if there is a moral standard against playing the game, then it ceases to be a game and becomes something else. I'm not sure what it becomes, but it sure as hell ain't no game

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no public enemy #1, or anyone else with a target on their back at the moment, so yeah; it's boring.

I think the worse thing that came out of the karma war (and I don't know if this is related to the NPO), is the "whining complex" some people now have, which makes the forums a yawn fest. The game has seriously lost some balls.

There's no public enemy #1, or anyone else with a target on their back at the moment, so yeah; it's boring.

I think the worse thing that came out of the karma war (and I don't know if this is related to the NPO), is the "whining complex" some people now have, which makes the forums a yawn fest. The game has seriously lost some balls.

Because Tyga, Sponge, and Moldavi aren't in powerhouse alliances anymore :awesome:

God no. I'm home at my family at Christmas. Would be sad if attacked.

Note to self, nuke this guy over christmas break

I am seriously disappointed of you. GDI doesn't exist anymore and you're still making fun of it; it's not even funny anymore.

NPO is evil(mostly just looneylew..), Fark is drunk and GDI is fail..its things that will never change

Edited by wickedj

Not exactly, the treaty web didn't play much of a role in the Karma War, especially considering how many treaties were violated and/or "voided" for "moral reasons." Right now, most alliance leaders are afraid to start a war because any aggressive action is seen as crime by the Moral Police that is the CN community. Whenever an alliance or bloc removes another alliance or bloc for personal gain, that is somehow viewed as "ruining the game" for the victim alliance or bloc. However, it seems to me that the ones ruining the game are the ones who are trying to stifle those simply trying to get ahead. This is a game, and every alliance should be looking out for its own interests at all times; if there is a moral standard against playing the game, then it ceases to be a game and becomes something else. I'm not sure what it becomes, but it sure as hell ain't no game

Because having a conveniently scheduled curbstomp every six months was a much better way of doing things.

Because having a conveniently scheduled curbstomp every six months was a much better way of doing things.

Who said that is the only alternative? This world is whatever we choose it is. At one point, we all chose to be ruled by a handful of "hegemons," and now we have abolished that in favor of a boring system of moral "causes." To say that anyone who is dissatisfied with CN today is in favor of bringing the NPO "hegemony" back is heavily shortsighted and one-dimensional

Everyone is rebuilding from the most devastating war ever in this world. There are indeed tensions but these things take time. We have had some very interesting and entertaining small scale altercations though. These type of conflicts are not all that destructive and allow the participants to still remain viable members of the global society. So to me that is a good thing so I like where things are going.

I'm pretty amazed that the poll is almost equally balanced. You'd figure if NPO was causing such a travesty in terms of game play and making the game miserable prior to the Karma war there would be a much more slanted perspective towards positive improvement now that we're under terms. But apparently not. I guess that just goes to show the degree that particular slant on the discussion was mere propaganda.

Personally, I put =, ==. To me the game is as much rolling with the punches and just enjoying running my state as it is achieving any serious measure of national strength. I don't expect the community to change all that much, so it should remain a relative constant of enjoyment.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

The problem?

We don't know how to do politics! That's the problem, there aren't enough of us that have the political cunning to make things happen and get away with it. There's also alot of that "Oh but I'll lose my pixels/alliance/power" so the fear and lack of political skill contributes to make absolutely nothing happen.

This is why I'm just going to sit here and watch (and maybe heckle Moldavi a bit). I've got all the time in the world, baby.

I'd like to see this promised change come to pass myself - I'm just not banking on it happening any time soon.

I think it was fun having an "Evil Empire" that we "despised", and attempting to destroy them was a fun and worthy goal if for no other reason then they were number one. I think we now need a new evil empire to fight until the NPO gets back on there feet, and they will be back! oh yay, I cant wait, we need much more drama! :P

I'm pretty amazed that the poll is almost equally balanced. You'd figure if NPO was causing such a travesty in terms of game play and making the game miserable prior to the Karma war there would be a much more slanted perspective towards positive improvement now that we're under terms. But apparently not. I guess that just goes to show the degree that particular slant on the discussion was mere propaganda.

Or it goes to show that the NPO and it's allies have more active members on the forums willing to get involved in a thread about them and prevent it from becoming bias against them. Not everyone who is/was a member of Karma has an account on here.

I think it was fun having an "Evil Empire" that we "despised", and attempting to destroy them was a fun and worthy goal if for no other reason then they were number one. I think we now need a new evil empire to fight until the NPO gets back on there feet, and they will be back! oh yay, I cant wait, we need much more drama! :P

Why bother letting them get back on their feet before we fight them again.

Nothing will be as fun as the 6 months leading up to the Karma war, but the times are more interesting than many people think. It's a multipolar world now.

I preferred the UJW leadup. Way more intense and squeezed into a month.

-Bama

Obviously a game is boring after you've won it.

I was hoping we'd unlock some bonus levels, like Francos Spain is the secret end boss or something. But it doesn't appear that way. If we replay it will still be Moo.

Needs some serious replayability tweaking.

Also I heard that Francos Spain is behind a truck in the water outside the SS Anne.

honestly i'm having more fun than i ever have. being a part of the revolution that is Murder Inc. has been the most rewarding thing i've ever been apart of (aside from certain things i did in Polaris) and i'm glad i found out about the project before i deleted my nation.

as for the world at large, its always pretty boring after a major war. people are re-building, re-assessing their war stragies, re-organizing their militaries, and generally preparing for the next big war. Then there is all the ooc stuff happening right now (read people starting college etc.) and yeah, of course its boring right now, but if CN is anything, its predictable, and things will pick up eventually.