Post Karma War: entertainment

jerdge

Fun before and after the Karma War  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love us or hate us the NPO actually did stuff far more than any other alliance.

i'm sure if you really wanted to help the game now you could get most of CN to rally against you again and take you from 9th to the 109th place.

should be fun for everyone involved.

also, people! we got untill late december untill the next big war, get your war wonders, stock up the nukes, fill those treasuries, and watch out to be on the side you think is worth more.

these are exciting times, its going to be the first war in EVER that NPO won't be the main issue, a whole new world of posibilities is opening up

[OOC]for people who watch southpark its like that episode called "make love not Warcraft" where they spend months to beat that one guy who killls all the other players. when they do beat him for a bit they're going, "what now?" and then they realize that now that the big bully is gone they are FREE TO PLAY THE GAME WHICHEVER WAY THEY WANT TO[/OOC]

Edited by Venizelos

ODN just cancled with 2 Citadel alliances. Not to mention MHA who is anything but a Citadel member. They were low level treaties, but I believe they might be the first "line drawing" cancellations. There will have to be many more and it will take months, but you might be seeing the roots for war starting to sprout. For those of you who say there is no fun, your crazy. It's gotten better signifigantly in the past 2 weeks. Besides, if these small cancellations are the beginnings of something big you won't have anything to cry about because the lead-up to war is always the best part. :D

Oh wow i know you guys cheer at everything that goes against Citadel, but this is really a long, blindfolded shot at something. You can pop the champagne when Fark or MK cancel on citadel alliances.

Oh wow i know you guys cheer at everything that goes against Citadel, but this is really a long, blindfolded shot at something. You can pop the champagne when Fark or MK cancel on citadel alliances.

You're in denial. ODN's two PIATs were all that was keeping Citadel afloat!

Yeah a few nukes all around sounds just about right. alteast It'll spice things up lol.

We only deal nukes by the thousand sorry :/

You're in denial. ODN's two PIATs were all that was keeping Citadel afloat!

That and their massive egos!

owait D:

ODN just cancled with 2 Citadel alliances. Not to mention MHA who is anything but a Citadel member. They were low level treaties, but I believe they might be the first "line drawing" cancellations. There will have to be many more and it will take months, but you might be seeing the roots for war starting to sprout.

That's quite a stretch to be honest.

All you have to do is read this forum to see that there are bored people. Doesnt take a genius to figure out something will happen. When, who, how... well if they werent so unpredictable it wouldnt be very interesting would it?

But seriously, karma war wasnt fought to make the world more entertaining. Although it has had that effect a little for me. Before, it was quite predictable who would fight next. One group with overwhelming force and another set of powerless victims. That doesnt seem to be very politically possible at the moment, at least. If that means it takes longer for a war to start, that doesnt bother me.

Watching the maneuvering going on, even without a particularly good seat or anything, is almost as much fun as tossing nukes, plus less demanding.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

The problem with the 'stagnation theory' of the NPO era was that they did not consider what pre-conditions caused it. It was the existence of a bi-polar world, with a key enemy, and the constant threat of war that kept alliances out of conflict due to fear. Either you were in the ruling hegemon or not; the hegemony used its means to wipe out enemies. Moreover, with a defined enemy, the anger and desire for solution to this situation was obviously aimed: destroy the NPO and its main allies.

The new era is multi-polar. No major hegemon is clearly defined. Fear should be even higher because there is no clear distinction of any enemy nor safety due to this fact. Alliances will play safer political strategies when they believe their livelihoods are at higher risk. Differences do exist and the calm now is due to the temporary acceptance of a new paradigm. However, I believe that conflict is inevitable once the major power groups begin to conflict over major power variables. This situation can be, therefore, much more stagnant, dangerous, and violent than the quasi-security of the NPO era.

The problem with the 'stagnation theory' of the NPO era was that they did not consider what pre-conditions caused it. It was the existence of a bi-polar world, with a key enemy, and the constant threat of war that kept alliances out of conflict due to fear. Either you were in the ruling hegemon or not; the hegemony used its means to wipe out enemies. Moreover, with a defined enemy, the anger and desire for solution to this situation was obviously aimed: destroy the NPO and its main allies.

The new era is multi-polar. No major hegemon is clearly defined. Fear should be even higher because there is no clear distinction of any enemy nor safety due to this fact. Alliances will play safer political strategies when they believe their livelihoods are at higher risk. Differences do exist and the calm now is due to the temporary acceptance of a new paradigm. However, I believe that conflict is inevitable once the major power groups begin to conflict over major power variables. This situation can be, therefore, much more stagnant, dangerous, and violent than the quasi-security of the NPO era.

Thats quite a good analysis. There are also only very few possible points of conflict since everyone seems to get along fine in the treaty structure created to fend off a possible NPO attack. As long as no major bounds between SF, C&G, FB and Citadel break, i cant see a war coming anytime soon. Of course, war is inevitable in the long run. Especially with so many micro alliances connected to the web, it is only a matter of time until a conflict arises where the participating parties are not keen on going the diplomatical route, forcing the larger alliances to take sides. I can also see the possible revivals of old grudges between gov. members.

Time for some popcorn.

Thats quite a good analysis. There are also only very few possible points of conflict since everyone seems to get along fine in the treaty structure created to fend off a possible NPO attack. As long as no major bounds between SF, C&G, FB and Citadel break, i cant see a war coming anytime soon. Of course, war is inevitable in the long run. Especially with so many micro alliances connected to the web, it is only a matter of time until a conflict arises where the participating parties are not keen on going the diplomatical route, forcing the larger alliances to take sides. I can also see the possible revivals of old grudges between gov. members.

Time for some popcorn.

That first part ... really? Karma only had one thing in common, that went months ago, and what's left is as fragile as anything. Personally I believe the blocs within the former Karma Coalition to be more on edge because of each other than anyone else.

That first part ... really? Karma only had one thing in common, that went months ago, and what's left is as fragile as anything. Personally I believe the blocs within the former Karma Coalition to be more on edge because of each other than anyone else.

Yep, really. Karma was more united than Continuum ever was.

Oh I don't dispute that. Karma had a concrete goal, the Continuum's was more about keeping people in their place. My point is that was is the operative word there, and that now that such a concrete goal is rendered non-existant, so too has Karma been. I was just pointing out that the cracks are already well and truly apparent.

There will be a war eventually, there always is. I don't think that this is boring though. I always find every aspect interesting. There doesn't have to be blantant drama for me to enjoy this game. I have my own way of getting enjoyment out of this place and it doesn't have to involve drama.

It was. But that unity is gone, and it's not coming back. Karma had a common goal, and more importantly, a common enemy. A true threat against them all, one that they had to unite against in order to defeat. Q didn't. It was on life support from day one. I was scratching my head at the time Q was founded, because everybody and their brother had just seen WUT kill itself as soon as its common enemy was vanquished. To do the same thing, but without a common enemy even to start with, was an enterprise doomed to fail. I can't believe it made it nearly as long as it did. But here's the thing: the common threat to the Karma Coalition is gone. And when that threat was defeated, the Karma Coalition ceased to exist.

Early on in the war I thought that someone would take advantage of Karma's fleeting unity to form a new hegemony around themselves. It was a once-in-an-age event, for so many disparate alliances to be united in the pursuit of a common goal. But no one seized the moment, and now the moment has passed. And now the political landscape is nothing like anything we've ever seen. All the factions are interconnected, but it's tough to say that any of them are really united. What hasn't changed is the approach taken towards foreign affairs. Sadly, I think the glacial pace that politics have moved at since the end of the Unjust War will continue for the foreseeable future. But united the world is not, and we will see war again.

-Bama

I believe everything is in the last few moments before getting interesting, cracks are showing and people are itchy for war, massive conflict is attainable and all it requires is a catalyst.

The politics surrounding the 5 main treaty spheres (CDT/Poseidon, Cit, C&G, FB, SF) is basically nil right now, but each of these blocs have an enemy or two they would like to take down from another of the blocs, some shown more publicly then others, and each of the bloc alliances know (or suspect) another alliance wants to take them down. As such these blocs are using the treaty web to move very (very) slowly towards each other or position themselves against each other.

While everything is slow now, they are definitely moving, once the political shifting has continued for long enough that a particular bloc is looking at those who want to attack it, and finds itself (or suspects itself) to be backed into a corner, that is when things will heat up quickly. The threatened bloc will start increasing their FA activity so they can gather more support and allies, which will set off other blocs who suddenly feel backed into a corner due to this.

The only question is which bloc's will be the centre of the war, which will very much determine how interesting it will be, some blocs (C&G and frostbite) are very public and have great propaganda departments, a war between them that involved the other 3 power spheres united on either side would be the most spectacular war ever in CN, unfortunately its politically impossible as CnG and FB are all but cemented together. Other blocs would make for a very anti-climatic war, in fact I don't see much potential at all propaganda wise from the other 3 blocs.

Either way, just keep waiting.

EDITS: bad grammar

Edited by Jack Diorno

Things are interesting, but are more subtle now. Everybody wants to make/are making moves but don't want to be in a spotlight. Before few people had the good cards and everyone knew they had those, until late, so alot of cards were on the table...now people are not sure on who is holding what, but as chips on the table increase with time, we'll know who's aiming hard for the pot and who is bluffing.

This ERA of CN is Poker'd.

Edited by shahenshah

This ERA of CN is Poker'd.

This line,...so doesnt work,...as a poker player I must lol

As always before in between big events, those in some kind of gov. structures in the know are having some limited fun, the rest are sleeping right now. Its not all as it could be, this post "karma" war world did not lived up to its full potential. But I am sure at some point it will turn interesting again and those that will have enough patience to sit around to wait for it will have some great fun again with all that makes this game entertaining. All quite normal actually, as to be expected.