Declaration of War from the Viridian Entente

Goldie

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but I doubt their motives extended beyond support of R&R.

They took a stance and backed it up; it's not like they thought they were suddenly going to get in a cheap shot in and win the war for us. They also weren't the only ally unhappy when GOONS came up, but they were the only one in a position to support us to this degree. So, I suspect they would have been happier if R&R wasn't attacked again and they didn't have to become involved.

GOONS and TOP, on the other hand, seem to be frothing at the gash.

Well to be fair, I am fairly frothing at the gash to hit y'all as well and I like R&R...

Wait, GOD is a member of this coalition? Could have sworn GOD hit GOONs who is still fighting for our side...

I got beat to it but GOD hit GOONs, not the other way around mate. 

So, GOD knew what would happen if they hit GOONs then? One would wonder if GOD was not lacking in enthusiasm either...

1) GOD was a member of your coalition at one point. If not, the "flipping sides" argument would not be made.

2) GOONS knew full well the consequences of hitting R&R.

3) GOD knows there is no love lost. Goldie - the man who worked with PB for so long to try getting the GOD treaty cancelled - made possibly the most transparent bleeding heart post in history.

Defending your allies is always good, regardless of what side they are on. It shows piss poor planning upfront to put yourself in a position of having allies on both sides, but that's to be expected in a world where there are ancient treaties being combined constantly with new FA directions.

This conceit that alliances can dictate what happens to their allies without actually defending them, however, is plain silly. You're not "backed into a corner" when you join a coalition and your ally attacks that coalition and that coalition then counters that ally. That's the price you pay when you 1) join a coalition that does not reflect your interests or 2) fail to put enough thought into your foreign affairs that you have allies on both sides.

Remember, joining a coalition is a decision an alliance takes of its own free will. It doesn't automatically erase any prior history between alliances in that coalition. They are constructed for the purpose of winning the war, not of babysitting the feelings of each of the members. If the way your alliance conducts itself in the contexts of that coalition is snotty, ineffective, counterproductive and/or generally not conducive to getting that job done in an efficient and swift manner: you're going to catch crap for it. It's not Barney and Friends, not everyone is going to be valued for getting out and doing whatever little they can do because they are special.

Truth be told, if I were GOD right now, I'd be hurt by a parallel being drawn between my alliance and IRON this war. GOD's basically done the opposite of what IRON has.

People just need to stop signing individual treaties that aren't with the actual playmakers. You're only setting yourselves up for frustration when we tell you what war you'll be participating and it doesn't line up with your haphazard array of friend-allies.

People just need to stop signing individual treaties that aren't with the actual playmakers. You're only setting yourselves up for frustration when we tell you what war you'll be participating and it doesn't line up with your haphazard array of friend-allies.

There you have it, everyone other than Polar is just a pawn to Dajobo's schemes :/

Edit:  I am sure Fark, IRON, Valhalla, MCXA, CRAP, TTK, CCC and whoever else has allies on the other side appreciate comments like the above :|

Edited by berbers

There you have it, everyone other than Polar is just a pawn to Dajobo's schemes :/

Edit:  I am sure Fark, IRON, Valhalla, MCXA, CRAP, TTK, CCC and whoever else has allies on the other side appreciate comments like the above :|

I'm sure those alliances aren't desperately trying to score PR points with the three or so people paying attention, and still have a sense of humor left.

I've got to question whether VE was really needed here. Given your close personal history and TOP's involvement, you'd think VE would pass, assuming that its a non-chaining treaty. :/ Poor show, IMO.

We assumed GOD would stick with the coalition instead of switching sides.  When GOD switched sides they became a target that needed to be dealt with.  It isn't the coalition leaderships fault that GOD switched sides, that fault lies on GOD and them not having the testicular fortitude to stand by a decision to back one coalition over another.  Many alliances have been in that situation before. 

I realize that joining a losing war in defense of your allies is a commendable action, but the way GOD did it here on the US front was a betrayal of the coalition. 

It does suck to have allies on both sides of a coalition, but that fault lies on you for either placing yourself in that position or refusing to shore up influence to make sure your treaty partners never went to opposite sides of a coalition.  You should have seen the writing on the wall and let your allies know accordingly.  If you want to defend each and every ally who gets attacked regardless of coalition warfare, than you are a piss poor coalition partner, placing your interests above the coalitions.

than you are a piss poor coalition partner, placing your interests above the coalitions.

The problem is that interests are being placed above what is best for the coalition by those leading the coalition.

Though those are people deciding what is best for them, not necessarily the coalition. 

I'm sure those alliances aren't desperately trying to score PR points with the three or so people paying attention, and still have a sense of humor left.

I mean, I caught the sarcasm, but for this war the statement actually fits for quite a few alliances.

But you'll find that out very soon.

I realize that joining a losing war in defense of your allies is a commendable action, but the way GOD did it here on the US front was a betrayal of the coalition.

GOD did everything the coalition called upon them for, afaik. STA was out with TPF. You couldn't have possibly expected them to go back on their word both to you and one of their longest-held allies, could you?

Not everyone can have their FA built around a single direction.

No, not everyone can have their FA built around going in a same direction with a huge coalition of people, half of whom they don't even like.  I don't think I've ever been loyal to a coalition, I'm loyal to my allies.

I might as well cancel all of my treaties and just choose what side I want to be on each war.  Seems to be the trend, otherwise there is no way for me to honor them.  I can't know every single nuance of the war before it starts, and as a result how am I supposed to predict with 100% certainty where my allies are going to go? 

I find it hard to disrespect GOD's decision to fight with their allies.  They knew there would be consequences for their actions, and they are being hit by VE/Stukov for those actions. 

Edited by Bob

No, not everyone can have their FA built around going in a same direction with a huge coalition of people, half of whom they don't even like.  

I might as well cancel all of my treaties and just choose what side I want to be on each war.  Seems to be the trend, otherwise there is no way for me to honor them.  I can't know every single nuance of the war before it starts, and as a result how am I supposed to predict with 100% certainty where my allies are going to go? 

I find it hard to disrespect GOD's decision to fight with their allies.  They knew there would be consequences for their actions, and they are being hit by VE/Stukov for those actions. 

Rhetoric aside it's worth noting that GOD isn't actually helping their ally by entering- to the contrary they are extending the duration of the conflict and scuttling an existing peace process. GOD entered to seize limelight for both itself and its leader, that's the singular material impact of this move. It isn't honorable or heroic - it's silly.

Edited by iamthey

Rhetoric aside it's worth noting that GOD isn't actually helping their ally by entering- to the contrary they are extending the duration of the conflict and scuttling an existing peace process. GOD entered to seize limelight for both itself and its leader, that's the singular material impact of this move. It isn't honorable or heroic - it's silly.

Depends on how R&R feels about it, and especially if R&R requested the assistance.  I agree with your statement, but sometimes if your ally wants help you have to jump in regardless if its silly/not or going to incur a lot of damage for you. 

Edited by Bob