Greatest Alliance Rivalries

Hyperion321

well at least one person recognized Polaris vs NAAC.

i would also go with:

ODN-IRON (i seem to remember there being a time of extreme dislike between those two)
Genmay/Umbrella- Polaris (due to Genmay disbanding in UjW and several members forming Umbrella)
VE-WUT (well most members)
VE-Polaris
TPF-any former alliance/members of alliance of UjP

and

RIA-Sanity (for teh joke)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lurunin' timestamp='1305638852' post='2713620']
how bout TGE-Nor? there was some serious bad blood between those two alliances

there also seems to still be some hostility between CSN-DT

also how bout UPN-GOD
[/quote]
I wasn't aware there was a grudge there, just some stupid OWF rumors that we, admittedly, made a little effort to stir up for the lulz.
[quote name='Penkala' timestamp='1305635262' post='2713603']
Ironic coming from an SF alliance.
[/quote]
SF has two sanctioned alliances and while I don't keep much track of everyone's stats, GOD has always had pretty good stats per member. I really find it a stretch to imply that we're bad at nation building.

There can be only one, NPO V FAN. Next month it will be [b]four[/b] years of being official enemies/rivals. Most of those 4 years they were officially at war with each other althouth the rivalry existed before then. Nothing will ever come close to that unless you consider MK and Lue the same alliance (V NPO)and even then it would be a distant second.

A shout out should go to FARK & GOONS who were rivals even before FARK existed. :)

Edited by Alterego

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1305615065' post='2713536']
MK vs. NPO
TOP vs. NpO
Gremlins vs GGA
stickmen vs. purple

Ramirus vs. humility
[/quote]

There was never much of a real rivalry between Grämlins and GGA, at least not during my time there. Considering Bilrow gave me the job of "policing" them and I liked their alliance, it amounted to nothing much more than some huffing and puffing from Bilrow.

[quote name='KainIIIC' timestamp='1305611676' post='2713508']
you've got some of the usual ones like:
TOP vs. NpO
Valhalla v. STA
GOD vs. DT+NoR

also you can have some of the more amusing Doitzelesque ones like:

CSN v. 'Sovereign'
[b]JB v. The World[/b]

etc.
[/quote]

Still haven't gotten rid of me yet, the lot of you!

[quote name='Draztikus' timestamp='1305611600' post='2713507']
TOP/Umbrella/Grëmlins vs fighting on the losing side of a war
[/quote]

Typical imbecility from Polaris.

I imagine you're probably just still angry about the beating you (personally) took during the WotC. Yes, I instructed milcomm to make you a special target and assign three very large nations to step on you during that war. You deserved that special attention. It was fun to watch.

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='kevin32891' timestamp='1305661425' post='2713772']
Hey if it means anything I miss you. :wub:
[/quote]

Is it bad that I stopped being able to tell if people were attempting to trick (apparently the other word isn't allowed here anymore?) me with this statement about a year and a half ago?

Truthfully, though, as much fun as it was, I no longer stand opposed to everyone in the world; my eight month hiatus got all of that out of my system.

Edited by Jonathan Brookbank

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1305661839' post='2713775']
Typical imbecility from Polaris.

I imagine you're probably just still angry about the beating you (personally) took during the WotC. Yes, I instructed milcomm to make you a special target and assign three very large nations to step on you. You deserved that special attention. It was fun to watch.
[/quote]

Typical posturing from the NPO reject.

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1305651389' post='2713695']
NPO and GATO. Nothing else came close or has come close. NpO v. NAAC may have been a big deal when it happened, but that rivalry only lasted as long as NAAC did and was over by mid 2007. The divide between NPO and GATO drove politics for most of 2006, 2007, and 2008, and only really ended when NPO was knocked too far down to pursue it in Karma (early 2009). If that war had gone differently, the two alliances probably would have gone at each other again.
[/quote]

I don't remember that rivalry driving world politics at any point after GW3. That war made GATO into a burning wreck, and the NPO turned to other things. Sure, a conflict erupted awhile later, but that was more of a brush war than a real conflict. It was no contest.

[quote name='Batallion' timestamp='1305615464' post='2713538']
AcTi vs. TIO

1. We warred them in Sirius War
2. They offered support to rogues who hit us
3. We almost went to eternal war with them

:smug:
[/quote]
so in other words you have learned absolutely nothing? alright, and

Mogar - Batallion

[quote name='Penkala' timestamp='1305635262' post='2713603']
Ironic coming from an SF alliance.
[/quote]
you realize your alliance is allied to... just about every single member of SF, right?

[quote name='Chief Savage Man' timestamp='1305647762' post='2713667']
GOONS v CDS is a old one but I remember it being somewhat intense at least until CDS was forced off black team and into irrelevancy.
[/quote]
it was quite depressing, i regret moving to white, and defensive was a stupid name, i voted for divine.

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1305662301' post='2713783']
I don't remember that rivalry driving world politics at any point after GW3. That war made GATO into a burning wreck, and the NPO turned to other things. Sure, a conflict erupted awhile later, but that was more of a brush war than a real conflict. It was no contest.
[/quote]
GATO was still under terms from GWIII and NPO kept an eye on them. When they had an excuse (CK once having rejoined that alliance and being gov), NPO hit GATO again and put them on new terms when GATO lost. Those terms didn't end until Karma.

Edited by Duncan King

LUE and its successor states vs. NPO (almost the beginning in 2006 really - May 2011) - time to call it I think, though it clearly dominated politics for a very long time

\m/ & its successor states vs. NpO (August 2007 - January 2009) - by the time it was over multiple alliances had been disbanded, several wars (including 2 Great Wars) fought and leaders on both side deposed

Valhalla vs. STA gets mentioned a lot, though I sorta get the impression it's mostly one way and has been for a while, though the whole "apology" thing probably isn't helpful... <_<

TPF & TGE vs. "the Nazis" (including far too many people who weren't) (2008)

Browncoats vs. the World (seriously...) (Nov. 2007 - Oct. 2008)

"Commies" v. "Nazis": 2006-2009 or so and carried out in the personages of ICP, SWF, LSF, etc. v. NoR, NV, NoV, TGE, FCO, etc. Eventually, they started fighting over other things but for a while, this argument galvanized some and annoyed the rest.

TPF v. "Nazis": 2007-2008 and carried out in the personages of TPF and TGE v. NoR, NV, NoV, TGE, FCO, etc. See above.

LoSS/ACID v. GOONS was pretty big in 2006-2007.

FAN v. NPO is and was a good one, but FAN has never had the political clout that MK or NPO had. They don't seem to have the political capital or political skill to be that kind of a game changer.

[quote name='Jonathan Brookbank' timestamp='1305660669' post='2713766']
There was never much of a real rivalry between Grämlins and GGA, at least not during my time there. Considering Bilrow gave me the job of "policing" them and I liked their alliance, it amounted to nothing much more than some huffing and puffing from Bilrow.
[/quote]

You're kidding, right?

I cant even count the times we were threatened with war...

[quote name='HellAngel' timestamp='1305663949' post='2713799']
You're kidding, right?

I cant even count the times we were threatened with war...
[/quote]

Must have been ironchef and forward, then.

I pretty much consider that not the real GGA, anyway.

[quote name='Batallion' timestamp='1305615464' post='2713538']
AcTi vs. TIO

1. We warred them in Sirius War
2. They offered support to rogues who hit us
3. We almost went to eternal war with them

:smug:
[/quote]
that was TKTB not TIO.... TIO are the ones that got TKTB to give you peace instead of ZI... at least know your "rivals"

[quote name='Draztikus' timestamp='1305656805' post='2713727']
you want more of us in range, either start sending us tech or start selling off infra :P
[/quote]

We've thought of doing this, but in the end we still realized our tech still keeps us out of range or only extends battles from 3 days to 6 before watching the other side just stop. :( Selling tech would take forever you'd see a quicker reduction if we seen some nukes come this way.

[quote name='Varianz' timestamp='1305656928' post='2713729']Now let's take a look at growth rate. I picked a date, the 24th of April, and measured growth rates since then.
New Sith Order: 120,902 nation strength gained since 4/24, for a 10.9% increase in total nation strength.
Global Order of Darkness: 232,723 nation strength gained since 4/24, for a 6.02% increase in total nation strength. And hey, look at that, 40% of your nation strength increase in that period came from a single [url="http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=12366"]large nation[/url] who joined GOD in that period.
[/quote]
It's not like being on the losing side of a war and thereby having smaller nations which are easier to grow means anything, right? Your ANS and total NS are a third of theirs, of course you're going to find it easier to grow; there's no comparison there, so don't bend the stats to fit your ends.

[quote name='Mogar' timestamp='1305662418' post='2713785']
you realize your alliance is allied to... just about every single member of SF, right?
[/quote]
It's Penkala, man.

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='1305667194' post='2713835']
It's not like being on the losing side of a war and thereby having smaller nations which are easier to grow means anything, right? Your ANS and total NS are a third of theirs, of course you're going to find it easier to grow; there's no comparison there, so don't bend the stats to fit your ends.
[/quote]
We've been out of the war for quite some time now actually. Our rebuilding ended a while ago. We're above our pre-war ANS. And you fail to even address our higher rate of slot useage. Good try.

Edit: Here's an example: LoSS, who's ANS is similar to ours, has only grown 3.4% in that same period.

Edited by Varianz