Hyperion321

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Steve Buscemi' timestamp='1305688471' post='2714104']

5. TPF vs trying to find a way out of fighting in great wars

[/quote]

We keep getting our ass kicked in that one because we end up fighting in all of them the past several years. As it is, we've probably spent well over 200 days at war in the past 4 large wars. And we had the Christmas war to boot.

I would say we rank in the top 3 or 4 for total days at war since 2008.

[b]NPO-MK:[/b] This rivalry has defined the game. When conflict erupts from it, the whole world stops, takes sides, and goes to war.
[b]VE-GGA:[/b] I don't think any other rivalry ever gave rise to diplomatic maneuvering as nuanced, yet intense as the Battle for Green did.
[b]NpO-GOONS:[/b] This was an incredibly short rivalry, what with how the Neutral Shovers were quickly wrecked and disposed of in the Unjust War, but it marks the birth of the broader modern moralist conflict. Its brief but bright intensity has defined a great deal of the conflicts that followed.

[quote name='Emperor Whimsical' timestamp='1305667845' post='2713839']
I don't believe Sparta and MHA have [i]ever[/i] been on the losing side. I missed bi-polar, but they were both on ~ in the unjust war, The coalition in NoCB, Karma in karma, and on the winning side this last war.
[/quote]

They have never lost a war.

Also,

UPN v. Graduating Middle School

[quote name='Hyperion321' timestamp='1305608789' post='2713486']
So, Baltus posted a question in our embassy about who we thought the top 5 greatest alliance rivalries of all time are. I find this to be an interesting topic, so I thought I would share my answers and get your own personal top 5's for discussion's sake.

1. NAAC - NPO
2. NpO - TOP
3. Fark - GOONS
4. MK - NPO
5. TPF - NoR/NoV
[/quote]

I knew you cared. :wub:

GGA-VE
MK-NPO
Athens-=LOST=
FAN-NPO

Those are just some of the most (in)famous, I can think of.

[quote name='HellAngel' timestamp='1305723967' post='2714290']
maybe we can sum that up to GGA vs its own sphere
[/quote]

This would actually be more appropriate if it said "Bilrow/ALdbeign vs their own sphere" given that the rest of GGA didn't have any major issues with the rest of the sphere.

Of course, we made the mistake of following along during the Emerald Affairs, but most of us atoned for that at some point by taking part in the attempted rebuilding of the sphere.

Also, I still don't understand where you see GGA vs. Grämlins. Did they come after you post-2008? During my time in GGA relations were kept amicable in private, even if Bilrow did posture in public, though I think he personally disliked you in public and private.

The biggest rivalries in the game and the ones that have driven politics for years are these:

NPO & NpO vs NAAC
NPO vs GATO
NPO vs MK
NpO vs TOP

The first drove politics for much of 2006 & 2007. The two Polar Wars, the first and third Great War, the existence of Polaris itself, all of these contributed to the rivalry of Orders v NAAC. I think I remember someone telling me that the name 'New [b]Polar[/b] Order' was chosen because it was an affront to NAAC. I also remember sponge telling me once how much he hated NAAC. The hate is pretty real. Until NAAC disbanded at the end of GW3, this rivalry, along with NPO v GATO, drove alliance politics.

Like I touched on before, NPO v GATO was a large factor in alliance politics until GATO fell from relevance after GW3. It also helped culminate in the greatest war the planet has ever seen, GW3.

NPO vs MK and NpO vs TOP have driven alliance politics since the end of the War of the Coalition. NPO v MK saw the fall of Pacifica, and with it the fall of many alliances that used to be large and relevant, like GGA, MCXA, and other alliances that were always by Pacifica's side. It has also seen the rise of MK and their hegemony.

I could write volumes about the rivalry between Polar and TOP. But let me try and summarize it here: TOP and NpO hate each other more than anyone else in the world. I don't know that this rivalry has driven alliance politics as much as some others have, but nowhere in the world will you find more mutual hatred between two alliances than NpO/TOP. Even in this thread, members talk about how much they hate each other, and members from both sides bash one another. Rarely does a thread go by without one throwing an insult at the other. Born of this rivalry was the second half of the Bipolar War. I will tell you, there are no other rivalries in the game which even come close to the amount of hatred these alliances have for each other.

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1305661839' post='2713775']
Typical imbecility from Polaris.

I imagine you're probably just still angry about the beating you (personally) took during the WotC. Yes, I instructed milcomm to make you a special target and assign three very large nations to step on you during that war. You deserved that special attention. It was fun to watch.
[/quote]

Do this for Jags in the next war. He wants to feel special too.

[quote name='Jonathan Brookbank' timestamp='1305724842' post='2714293']
This would actually be more appropriate if it said "Bilrow/ALdbeign vs their own sphere" given that the rest of GGA didn't have any major issues with the rest of the sphere.

Of course, we made the mistake of following along during the Emerald Affairs, but most of us atoned for that at some point by taking part in the attempted rebuilding of the sphere.

Also, I still don't understand where you see GGA vs. Grämlins. Did they come after you post-2008? During my time in GGA relations were kept amicable in private, even if Bilrow did posture in public, though I think he personally disliked you in public and private.
[/quote]
Bilrow represented GGA to the outside world so his hostility and grudge against Grämlins/Green is what most people saw as GGA's stance. If I recall, he was the head of your FA (or equivalent), so when your mouthpiece starts shooting off at people, they take it's word as yours.

I wouldn't put it in my top 5 because it didn't have that much of an impact on people outside of Green. Having been close to Grämlins for a long time though, I don't remember them ever disliking another alliance anywhere near to how they felt about GGA.

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='1305667194' post='2713835']
It's not like being on the losing side of a war and thereby having smaller nations which are easier to grow means anything, right? Your ANS and total NS are a third of theirs, of course you're going to find it easier to grow; there's no comparison there, so don't bend the stats to fit your ends.

It's Penkala, man.
[/quote]

Yes. Historically I am 100% opposed to SF. Good point.

(You're an idiot.)

[quote name='Jaguar1' timestamp='1305727171' post='2714310']
Do this for Jags in the next war. He wants to feel special too.
[/quote]
I would personally give your nation special attention if it wasn't so small.

Edited by Simon De Montfort

I know this doesn't qualify as an alliance rivalry. But the Moo Cows vs Ivan Modalvi rivalry changed the course of CN politics like no other.

It lead to the ES's to have the NpO leave WUT and launch their crusade against the Unjust Path which fatally weakened WUT. It also led to the NPO canceling the ordiance of the orders with enabled the WoTC to be fought. And without the NpO the NPO was in a much weaker position which led to Karma.

[quote]Actually we were probably as heated with STA at one point as we were with anyone else. But those leaders departed the planet and STA as it turns out is one of the best alliances out there.
[/quote]

As it turns out they're actually one of the worst alliances out there.

[quote name='Simon De Montfort' timestamp='1305734537' post='2714356']
I know this doesn't qualify as an alliance rivalry. But the Moo Cows vs Ivan Modalvi rivalry changed the course of CN politics like no other.

It lead to the ES's to have the NpO leave WUT and launch their crusade against the Unjust Path which fatally weakened WUT. It also led to the NPO canceling the ordiance of the orders with enabled the WoTC to be fought. And without the NpO the NPO was in a much weaker position which led to Karma.
[/quote]

I don't know if the Moo-Ivan thing in 2007 necessarily led to the Unjust War. I think that both Sponge's support of Ivan and the Unjust War were the result of Sponge trying to assert Polar's position as an independent alliance and not merely the kid brother of NPO that everyone thought they were.

[quote name='Mergerberger II' timestamp='1305726440' post='2714306']
I could write volumes about the rivalry between Polar and TOP. But let me try and summarize it here: TOP and NpO hate each other more than anyone else in the world. I don't know that this rivalry has driven alliance politics as much as some others have, but nowhere in the world will you find more mutual hatred between two alliances than NpO/TOP. Even in this thread, members talk about how much they hate each other, and members from both sides bash one another. Rarely does a thread go by without one throwing an insult at the other. Born of this rivalry was the second half of the Bipolar War. I will tell you, there are no other rivalries in the game which even come close to the amount of hatred these alliances have for each other.
[/quote]

And as is completely routine, a member of Polaris utterly fails to note any responsibility on his alliance's part for why this vicious rivalry exists.

Also, it gives lie to your statement that members of your alliance routinely complain about how much we hate your alliance.

[quote]I imagine you're probably just still angry about the beating you (personally) took during the WotC. Yes, I instructed milcomm to make you a special target and assign three very large nations to step on you during that war. You deserved that special attention. It was fun to watch. [/quote]

I don't know. Polar, as a whole, took one of the most brutal poundings I've ever seen, and put up the least amount of fight I've ever seen. You probably couldn't distinguish his fall from the others.

[quote name='Penkala' timestamp='1305735250' post='2714363']
I don't know. Polar, as a whole, took one of the most brutal poundings I've ever seen, and put up the least amount of fight I've ever seen. You probably couldn't distinguish his fall from the others.
[/quote]

They did put up the worst military performance I've ever seen. GPA did better.

What's especially amusing about that war, though, is that many members of Polaris still insist that TOP was the driving force behind the war. The reality of the situation is that they'd antagonized so much of the world that the majority of the world's powers came after they and their friends. What led to the NPO ultimately stepping away from Polaris was the fact that the rest of Q wanted Polar's blood, and those alliances were far from the only ones. Of course, Polaris will never admit that their own actions over the previous year were what led to the vehement dislike against them on the part of a vast number of alliances, and, thus, to the war against them.

Because this victim complex will always be a determinant in their alliance's historical memory, Polaris will continue to blame TOP for both the war and the terms, neither of which we were fully responsible for, even though they know it's total nonsense; and they'll continue to try to use that accusation as rationale for viciously backstabbing us during the BPW, even though they know that's total nonsense as well.

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='King Srqt' timestamp='1305736607' post='2714370']
Surprised no one has said Vox v NPO. That was one of the most enjoyable times in this game for me.
[/quote]

Mentioned it on the second page.

[quote name='Mergerberger II' timestamp='1305735072' post='2714361']
I don't know if the Moo-Ivan thing in 2007 necessarily led to the Unjust War. I think that both Sponge's support of Ivan and the Unjust War were the result of Sponge trying to assert Polar's position as an independent alliance and not merely the kid brother of NPO that everyone thought they were.
[/quote]
From my perspective it appeared as though ES pulled NpO out of WuT and targeted UJP after the Moo-Ivan thing as a way to get back at Moo. It could be that ES used the Moo-Ivan thing as an excuse to assert Polar independence and go after UJP which ES hated already.