Stuff that was usual in the past and nowadays isn't.

zoskia

You know, the reason viceroys are banned was due to individuals owning forums and having it taken away, alliance owner can see a rebirth of it

Also I like the idea of swearing fealaty as a surrender :P

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! I can remember the Alliances having big numbers of nations! I didn't remember Alliances having 1000 members, but I remember that having 700 was quite usual for the big ones.

(So good that someone understood what the thread is about! unlike Franz Ferdinand, Auctor and Willain "GEwilliam" Kreiger)

Yes, I can remember that! I was just thinking about it:

-It was usual to expect that the Alliances had to write real political propaganda. The most impresive of them was the NPO and the whole theory of "Francoism"... some people loved Francoism, some others hated it (I hated it), but everyone who played CN was reading Vladimir's rants about it... and there were philosophical discussions about it.

I do remember that some players also wrote academical essays about CN in the old days.

And this whole thing of the "Francoism" made me remember the POWER that the NPO had. They really managed to "own the game" for mostly 2 years.

No other Alliance ever had the amount of power that the NPO had... and I don't think any Alliance by itself will ever have that political power in the future.

EDIT: What was the Shark Week??? I don't remember it.

We are currently in a period I once labelled the "dark ages" that parallels the fall of the Roman Empire. Much like the ensuing period of real-world feudalism, economic developments and declining population made a central empire almost impossible to maintain. This would include the fall of Pacifican influence which was founded on Francoism. Many saw Francoism as a cheap trick, but in reality it endorsed a rational foreign policy based on the self-interests of member-nations. This type of ideological clarity is much of what kept NPO in power, and no other alliance has replicated it to such a degree nor implemented a coherent ideology to guide foreign policy objectives. NPO partially fell from power as new leaders failed to adhere to Francoist ideology effectively.

As a result, most modern foreign policies are now based around the whims of alliance leaders guided by greed, envy, undisciplined ambition, or hate, rather than any higher purpose. This is the only reason why perma-ZI sentences and viceroys have not been seen for so long: modern leadership principles do not save their strength for the right moment, and engage in halfway wars with weak coalitions. Too many chiefs in one tent with their own personal policy goals prohibits the creation of another hegemony.

Until either NPO or someone else replicates AND executes the ideological clarity and power of Francoism that guided leadership decisions, the world will continue to remain divided and weak.

Edited by Tywin Lannister

We are currently in a period I once labelled the "dark ages" that parallels the fall of the Roman Empire. Much like the ensuing period of real-world feudalism, economic developments and declining population made a central empire almost impossible to maintain. This would include the fall of Pacifican influence which was founded on Francoism. Many saw Francoism as a cheap trick, but in reality it endorsed a rational foreign policy based on the self-interests of member-nations. This type of ideological clarity is much of what kept NPO in power, and no other alliance has replicated it to such a degree nor implemented a coherent ideology to guide foreign policy objectives. NPO partially fell from power as new leaders failed to adhere to Francoist ideology effectively.

As a result, most modern foreign policies are now based around the whims of alliance leaders guided by greed, envy, undisciplined ambition, or hate, rather than any higher purpose. This is the only reason why perma-ZI sentences and viceroys have not been seen for so long: modern leadership principles do not save their strength for the right moment, and engage in halfway wars with weak coalitions. Too many chiefs in one tent with their own personal policy goals prohibits the creation of another hegemony.

Until either NPO or someone else replicates AND executes the ideological clarity and power of Francoism that guided leadership decisions, the world will continue to remain divided and weak.

That's probably the most true thing I have seen on the OWF in quite some time.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm surprised that large alliances haven't "conquored" (Absorbing defeated alliances in war as a term in surrender treaties) at all. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Broncoskid8

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm surprised that large alliances haven't "conquored" (Absorbing defeated alliances in war as a term in surrender treaties) at all. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bring a bunch of people that you just fought into your alliance and see how long it takes for them to turn tail as soon as the next war starts.

interesting alliance leaders

where'd all the demagogues go?

Where is the incentive to be interesting?  You can not hold a conversation with yourself. 

This community gets the entertainment is deserves.   You wanted the powerful people gone and so they are.  You offered nothing in return and that is what you have, nothing.

Also hello cookie.

Edited by AlmightyGrub

There were still more than five people I trusted or respected playing the game at that point.

Seriously, I just need to fall off the train at this point, all of my oldest, dearest friends are either banned or have moved on; I think us old timers (and you few ancients that remember CATO and such) need to move on to greener pastures; this place is pretty much picked clean.

Edited by Margrave

I have never trusted anyone beyond a very small circle.  Most of those people have let me down badly at various times.  It is not a reason to give up but rather a reason to work harder.... or you can just quit and it wont matter anymore.

At some stage people have to take responsibility for the health of our planet, if not then it will die.  We as a community have become far too negative in this regard, it is true that the best is behind us, but there can still be much in front of us if we so choose (admin willing).

Restore some value and some values and maybe there is a point.  Nihilism is not a future, it is an end.

People i got along well with. They are either gone for good, or  moved into inactivity/obscurity/not giving a damn whatever. 

Come to think of it, for someone who was on irc multiple hours a day, i now spends months without going online. I guess i dont give a damn anymore, too. Yay!!!

Where is the incentive to be interesting?  You can not hold a conversation with yourself. 

This community gets the entertainment is deserves.   You wanted the powerful people gone and so they are.  You offered nothing in return and that is what you have, nothing.

Also hello cookie.

So true. Appreciate I(and my alliance) was part of the problem on this one but it's true. The game has no characters at the top level right now. With the exception of maybe Ardus, nobody is trying to drive the game forward. If they see a threat they just meekly lie down and go "oh well we can get them back next war". There is no attempt made to create new circumstances. It's beyond depressing at this point.

People i got along well with. They are either gone for good, or  moved into inactivity/obscurity/not giving a damn whatever. 

Come to think of it, for someone who was on irc multiple hours a day, i now spends months without going online. I guess i dont give a damn anymore, too. Yay!!!

Wow rude :(

So true. Appreciate I(and my alliance) was part of the problem on this one but it's true. The game has no characters at the top level right now. With the exception of maybe Ardus, nobody is trying to drive the game forward. If they see a threat they just meekly lie down and go "oh well we can get them back next war". There is no attempt made to create new circumstances. It's beyond depressing at this point.

This is incredibly true, proactive characters are long gone now.

I appreciate the flattery but my efforts are modest at best. I simply have not had the time or spare mental capacity to reassume the sort of bombast I used to favor. Kind of hard to be all big and bad when RL is so emotionally draining :(

As much as I love Ardus, this isn't exactly true. He's just one of the most visible because he's well known.

At some stage people have to take responsibility for the health of our planet, if not then it will die.  We as a community have become far too negative in this regard, it is true that the best is behind us, but there can still be much in front of us if we so choose (admin willing).

Restore some value and some values and maybe there is a point.  Nihilism is not a future, it is an end.

This is actually pretty spot on. There are no resources to fight over in CN, so we need to create our own. Ideology seems a natural one.

Less pissing and moaning about the "good old days".  Seriously, this is what some of you sound like.  If you spent half as much effort on recruiting new players to the game and coaxing old players to come back and stick around as you did pissing and moaning, we'd not be off our 2007 numbers and you could have your farking Shark Week, and whatever else that gets your rocks off.

Now pardon me while I continue rebuilding the numbers of my alliance...again...and me and my alliance mates get ready to party...again.  The way is forward.