Greatest Rivalries

LexLuthor18

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I have learned in this thread : 

1) Rotavele seriously thinks he/she/it is relevant. 

2) Rotavele thinks TLR suffers from a lack of active members. I would suggest he/she/it check out the present war stats and ask those we are fighting.

3) Nobody seems to give the Athens-TPF rivalry its due. It created lots of drama, and may have been the bridge rivalry between Karma and the following war. It even spawned drama out to protectorates and PIAT partners. For me, it was great fun, and they were worthy rivals.

4) All of the so-called funny submissions (GGA vs Intelligence, etc) are overrated, and really not that funny.

5) This thread and some of the suggested rivalries in it, underscores the point that we no longer have in this community, enough dynamic personalities to make a GOOD rivalry. Sad.

You consider a rivalry that started in 2007 modern?

I don't consider it a rivalry until post-BiPolar.

There may have been tensions between TOP and NpO in 2007, but not on the scale of post-BiPolar TOP v NpO. I still remember every announcement thread for a time would turn into you two posturing at each other.

Edited by Master Holton

There may have been tensions between TOP and NpO in 2007, but not on the scale of post-BiPolar TOP v NpO. I still remember every announcement thread for a time would turn into you two posturing at each other.

Citadel/Q (which included TOP's heavy involvement) thought there was a lot of tension between Polar and their camp.

Citadel/Q (which included TOP's heavy involvement) thought there was a lot of tension between Polar and their camp.

Was it GGA or NpO that threatened to tech raid Citadels tech sellers/partners AA? 

I remember someone throwing their weight around trying to bully Citadel, but they calmed down after being told they would get stomped if they raided a Citadel protected AA.  Not to mention most of Citadel had Continuum membership as well.

As for greatest rivalries: LUE vs NPO, TOP vs Polar, NPO vs MK.  Those do it for me.

What makes a great rivalry is one that shapes the game, shaped the politics, and either lasts a while or provides an affect that lasts a while.

These ones do it for me.  LUE vs NPO saw 3 Great wars (global wars), huge coalitions (of the era) and saw many innovations in war tactics and aid bombs.  This rivalry set the tone for many things to come.

TOP vs Polar had its beginnings in the UjW or just before, with Polar throwing its weight around, rolling the Initiative, and was possibly a first spark in the TOP/Polar rivalry, with TOP staying out of that war but trading insults back and forth with Polar.  The dislike continued back and forth with NpO throwing its weight around at the height of BLEU's power before Polaris got handled in that war (War of Coalition maybe?).  The dislike continued and was sparked anew with Polaris bowing out of the BiPolar war to help hit TOP's coalition, which caused the Grudge war.  So this rivalry has lasted years, has sparked several wars, and saw the destruction of Polari's power bloc, BLEU, which had profound effects on the political landscape.  This makes my list.

NPO vs MK began after the UjW ended, with MK suffering a defeat along with the rest of the UjW.  They were black listed by NPO, and constantly under threat from NPO.  the feeling was that NPO could attack MK whenever they wanted and bring enough force against them to cause a Holy war of Farkistan or VietFAN type war on MK.  This was during NPO's hayday, during their "Pax Pacifica", where they had the backing of everyone who could do a thing to them.  MK made moves to protect themselves by creating C&G and adopting nation building strategies of quality over quantity, an affect that is still noticable to this day by MK's upper tier.  NPO warred with MK, and forced MK to pay what was then an unprecidented amount of reps to NPO and their victorious allies.  MK got their revenge in Karma and in the DH-NPO war, which caused NPO to want to seek revenge with this current war we find ourselves in.  This NPO/MK rivalry is one of the great ones since it has shaped several wars, has been the main focus of several wars, and has gone back and forth when each alliance has been in a dominate position. 

Other rivalries haven't stood up to the test of time.  Sure they were interesting to see, TPF vs Atlantis, Gramlins vs IRON, \m/ vs none, Polar vs Unjust Path, GGA vs VE, NPO vs GATO, Legion vs WAE status, etc, but they were more in the moment.  While fun and interesting, those rivalries haven't stood the test of time nor have they provided long term affects that are still affecting us today.  Not even the GGA/VE, since GGA has disbanded and VE has since reformed.  TPF vs Atlantis helped shape the white sphere, but that was years ago and its affects are not felt today.  \m/ vs none was a short term thing while \m/ was in existence, but for all the times people tried to blame \m/ for tech raiding \m/ really did not have as much sway over tech raid proliferation which is why that rivalry is not a "great" one.  It lasted much less than a year, from \m/'s rise after GW2 through GW3 only to end in the UjW in 2007.  The affects of \m/'s raids on none are not felt today.

So there are only a few rivalries I would classify as "greatest".  There have been many rivalries, but only a few great ones.  Not saying the others weren't fun or weren't meaningful, but unlike the American public school system everyone is not a winner, there are only a few winners and the rest do not make the cut.

Zoomx3 v. Deinos & Moon bases

Vlad v. GOD

Methrage v. GOONS (maybe not "best", but certainly the longest with the most posts)

Ivanelterrible making GATO surrender was much better than all of these.

No, the tensions between TOP and Polaris up to WoTC was extremely high, and thankfully Caliph has written a summary for those who don't know it.

Edited by Believland

I know that I am probably wasting my time by saying this, but "rivalry" between A and B doesn't just mean that A and B are at odds with each other in whatever way.

It means that A and B compete hostilely for something.

In CN the competition is most probably about getting third parties to support you and not your rival. MK vs VE (Pandora's Box etc.) is an example of rivalry. NPO and NpO (Q-BLEU and One Vision) is an older one. Most of what is being mentioned in this thread - not only the joke entries, I am afraid - is not a rivalry at all.

I know that I am probably wasting my time by saying this, but "rivalry" between A and B doesn't just mean that A and B are at odds with each other in whatever way.

It means that A and B compete hostilely for something.

In CN the competition is most probably about getting third parties to support you and not your rival. MK vs VE (Pandora's Box etc.) is an example of rivalry. NPO and NpO (Q-BLEU and One Vision) is an older one. Most of what is being mentioned in this thread - not only the joke entries, I am afraid - is not a rivalry at all.

Right, what I consider a great rivalry is one that redifines CN, one that has some long term and lasting affect on CN. 

That is indeed what the NPO/LUE, NPO/MK, and TOP/NpO rivalry met all my criteria.

That is not to say there aren't other rivalries, but they are not what I would consider "Great" ones.  Some rivalries last the test of time, like the 3 I mentioned.  Others are merely flash points that, while important for that section of history, don't have the profound affect that the 3 I mentioned do.