Insight behind your character?

astronaut jones

I'm fairly active on the OWF, and I see a lot of different posting styles, and a lot of people are very persistent in the character they've chosen to play, and that's to be commended. But, I'm not sure what the driving force is behind a lot of the characters people play here, why they do what they do, or why they post the way they do. So, does anyone care to shed a little insight behind the character you've chosen to play?

What makes you tick? What do you try to keep in mind whenever you post on the OWF?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly active on the OWF, and I see a lot of different posting styles, and a lot of people are very persistent in the character they've chosen to play, and that's to be commended. But, I'm not sure what the driving force is behind a lot of the characters people play here, why they do what they do, or why they post the way they do. So, does anyone care to shed a little insight behind the character you've chosen to play?

What makes you tick? What do you try to keep in mind whenever you post on the OWF?

One thing I try to keep in mind is how someone will read what I type. Some people will read one phrase one way, and someone will take it completely out of context. Choosing each word carefully is something that I do frequently to make sure the words I type can hardly be misconstrued or taken the wrong way.

When I joined, the game was a two sided affair with an 'evil empire', and I chose to be on the side of the 'Rebel Alliance'. This led my character down the road of having a strong moral basis, not being scared by being on the weaker side and so on. There's two fun ways to play a character in this sort of game world, the amoral power-grabbing type and the moralist, anti-imperial type. I was feeling in a moralist mood when I signed up here.

I used to take this game seriously. Wanted to have the most respected alliance in the game, have people respect me and what I do.

But now, I don't really care. The only think that matters to me is having fun, helping out my nations grow and letting my allies know we're grateful for them and will do what they need us to do when they ask us to do it.

And that's pretty much it. I could try hard to be respected, make a large alliance through endless work but where's the fun in that? Seems like more of a chore to me. A chore over a game? I'd rather just have fun.

My character here is quite different from my RL persona. I like to push buttons of people in game as a bit of an antagonist, get a reaction. In RL, I'm more of a jovial person :D I do this ingame because, honestly, it's a game, and it's relevance shouldn't be related to your RL...and that's how and why I do/say what I do/say ;) When it comes to IRC, it's closer to my true self (RL) but still not quite me...as I'm sure it's the way of most people on IRC. As for why I chose to be the way that I am, it's more just a release than anything. No rhyme or reason...just how it came out :lol1:

when i joined this game, Pacifica had just created Polaris to stabilize the Blue sphere. i joined Polaris and went through GPW. from that i gained my moral compass for this game (similar to my RL morals but a bit looser since it is only a game). since then i went from being in an alliance that helped rule the world to going through a second patriotic war. during that time, i have been quiet and outspoken (mostly depending on my RL status). regardless of the position of my alliance, i have tried to speak out against what i felt were crimes against CN. i spoke out heavily against TPF during the TPF-NoV war since the CB was crap, i did this regardless of the fact that Polaris had posted a public DoS for TPF.

i have also partaken in wars that others saw as crimes with relish, some now i see were crimes, others i still don't see as crimes.

i post as i want to post.

Good thread :D

I joined this game last April Just for Something to do. I get bored easily and almost quit after only 3 weeks. In RL I can strike up a conversation with anyone and am very laid back and caring. I guess you could say I am one of those people that would give you the last shirt off of my back. Kids and animals are my weak spot. I have 5 kids, a wolf, a Golden Doodle and plan on getting another Wolf soon. I don't like being around big crowds.

In Game I'm pretty much the same way. Maybe more caring than I should be since this is only a game. I would catch myself helping new nations grow by having my payments sent to them from deals that I made with other alliances instead of paying attention to my own nation. I try to represent myself here with the same caring attitude that I carry in RL. I do have a dry sense of humor so don't take anything I say personally. People tend to read to much INTO the writing without hearing the actuall voice behind the buttons

Good thread :D

People tend to read to much INTO the writing without hearing the actuall voice behind the buttons

Yeah, it's hard to convey a sense of sarcasm with only words. Makes it much easier on IRC, however, when people are able to get to know you on more of a personal level. But yes, sometimes people take the words at their face value instead of interpreting the underlying context from the individual.

In a business setting I am very much like I am here. I have always been forceful, arrogant and I act with a sense of entitlement. That has served me well in RL and here. It is true that if you act and speak as if you belong or know what you are talking about most people will just assume that you do and bend to your way of thinking. In my private life I just do as my wife tells me.

In a business setting I am very much like I am here. I have always been forceful, arrogant and I act with a sense of entitlement. That has served me well in RL and here. It is true that if you act and speak as if you belong or know what you are talking about most people will just assume that you do and bend to your way of thinking. In my private life I just do as my wife tells me.

You must be a true American.

And that's pretty much it. I could try hard to be respected, make a large alliance through endless work but where's the fun in that? Seems like more of a chore to me. A chore over a game? I'd rather just have fun.

Some of that is what makes it worth playing for some people. If I did not have my "jobs" in my alliance then I would probably have left the game not long after I started.

Mostly I play with my OOC point of view, mostly... although there are times that I respect other alliances and their positions OOC when IC I play the hate. Sometimes I have to be careful when my OOC perception risks overshadowing my IC and diverting me from my in game goals.