Insight behind your character?

astronaut jones

I'm pretty much the same way in real life as I am on IRC and our forums, my style of leadership and persona is all around the same as well. Here on these forums though I write more like I do when I'm typing up a case brief or something, so I guess that's kind of a difference.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, as to my own character, there are a number of guiding principles I follow, though at times I don't know which to follow, and at other times they seem to be in contradiction to each other.

When I came back, originally, I wasn't planning on telling anyone who I was previously, and instead playing a character that was the polar opposite to greenacres, but I soon realized I wasn't really willing to put in the work necessary to make that happen. I didn't want to get involved in politics, I never intended to really get deep into an alliance's government, etc. etc.

After awhile, of just.. doing not much of anything, 3 things came about that sort of guided my character and my posting habit.

1) I was going to be as honest as possible. Never lie, never stray from the truth as I saw it, and as I knew it.

2) Make every side of CN angry at me, or annoyed, or atleast slightly peeved.

3) The only person that needs to have fun with what I do and/or say is myself.

So, I've let that guide me for the most part, though it's getting a bit old and a bit stale, and fort he past few weeks or so I've been thinking of getting more involved in the alliance aspect of CN, and less involved with the whole OWF thing. I can do good when I choose to, I just don't know if I'm going to choose to right now, maybe though.

So that's what guides me. A lot of the one off comments that I say are done so only to see what kind of reaction it gets.

I am a blunt person OOC, therefore I am blunt IC. I call it how I see it and I really could give two damns about what people think about it. I know when to stay quiet, but I also know when there is a point that needs to be made. ICly I tend to be more vocal about my statements because in real life, I let my actions do the talking. Since this is an internet game, well, it's fairly obvious that my actions are hardly consequential to the points I make. Some people enjoy this attitude, others do not... but it amuses me to no end.

I also, however, am a very trusting and diplomatic person OOCly, therefore I am ICly as well. As Xiphosis mentioned in another thread, sometimes I drive the point of diplomacy past the point of necessity, but I always prefer nonviolence over mindless violence. With that said, I like to be the voice of reason when it comes to arguing. When it comes to warring, this is an internet game (as aforementioned), so I just go with the flow.

1) I was going to be as honest as possible. Never lie, never stray from the truth as I saw it, and as I knew it.

2) Make every side of CN angry at me, or annoyed, or atleast slightly peeved.

3) The only person that needs to have fun with what I do and/or say is myself.

I play this way in another game (or used to, I quit a while ago because the game was lousy) and it can be pretty fun. It doesn't lend itself to popularity but if you're cool with your alliance mates that's what matters.

My IC character is pretty similar to my OOC character, but not exactly the same.

For one thing, my OOC health prevents me from being a soldier. And I tend to be less of a nutbuster OOC as well. I'm quite rigid IC - I have a set of principles that I will always follow, and I'm not afraid to speak my mind if there's something going on that I don't necessarily agree with within my own alliance. On top of that, I will take avenues to talk to allies about things they are doing that might not sit well with me, if I'm around to do so, anyway :P

From an RP perspective, my RL self is not 6'7", 293 pounds, completely bald, and 1/2 Finnish, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Kwakwaka'wakw, nor do I play professional soccer or ski biathlon. The music composition bit on my Wiki is actually partially true - I am a composer and play the bass clarinet - but I'm not a member of a symphony orchestra. I do have a degree in linguistics, but not a PhD, only a BA :P Finally, I was born in BC, but in Nanaimo, not Sointula.

However, there are many commonalities between Jarkko Salomäki and the guy behind the keyboard.

Pros - I try to mix as much mercy as I can into my justice - like in ghostbusting for example, the moment I've noticed a ghost leaving, I will either peace out (if I'm doing the ghostbusting myself) or order the war ended immediately (if I'm not). I like to stick to the rules. I like a good story. I hate arguing about things I lack complete knowledge of. I'm Christian. I study languages. I try to be as friendly as I can to people, although there are times I know I have to be unfriendly, and it kinda smarts after the fact. I do, however, have a very low tolerance for flat-out idiocy. :P I also try to be as honest as possible.

Cons - I'm easily swayed by what seems on the surface to be rock-solid evidence but in the end turns out to be complete rubbish, with some key exceptions - it's something I've been working on. Also, I'm not always as merciful as I try to be, and I'm kind of a letch. :ph34r: I've also been told I'm too hard on myself, both IC and OOC.

In all seriousness my character is or i try to make it be:

Funny

Sarcastic

Cocky

Because i guess that's how i role.

Just look at a few of my posts you will see...

Anything else?

Edited by Hassman

I play this way in another game (or used to, I quit a while ago because the game was lousy) and it can be pretty fun. It doesn't lend itself to popularity but if you're cool with your alliance mates that's what matters.

For the most part that's always been the case. I've always been a decent to pretty damn good alliance member, it's just getting into an alliance first that's the tricky part.

But, I'm getting bored of it.. soon I'll be giving it up and going back to actually trying to make things better in the alliance I'm in, that being CSN right now.

One thing I try to keep in mind is how someone will read what I type. Some people will read one phrase one way, and someone will take it completely out of context. Choosing each word carefully is something that I do frequently to make sure the words I type can hardly be misconstrued or taken the wrong way.

So you're calling me fat? :mellow:

I'm me. A viking warlord that has settled down to tend his people. Which is pretty much how I am IRL.

I was a hell-raiser when I was younger... Grew up in a biker household. Hung out with bikers and gangs. Ran afould of the law. Drank, smoked and did not expect to live past 25 or so... Well, I did.. then I got married, had kids and had to settle down.

IG, I am more interested in helping and protecting my alliance brothers and sisters than having debates with the crowd on these boards... that's why you don't see me posting much except to hail friends and maybe have a friendly shot at them. I love to war but I will not tech raid... that's the same as knocking the small kid down to steal his lunch money and there is *zero* honor in that. I need something to do in-between fights, so I'm active in the alliance and I do what I can as well as I can.

IRL, I am fiercely devoted to my loved ones and have no problem beating someone in the head with a pipe if they $%&@ with anyone I dig... I tend to be a bit more sarcastic. I love to laugh but I have a dismal world view.

Edited by Valtamdraugr