FAN Announcement

mpol777

Comparisons between Ivan and Mpol are in some ways insightful, and in others, completely off base.

It all really comes down to the diplomacy thing.

People can enjoy Mpol's rants because everyone knows that his cards are on the table. He looks/acts/sounds cool, and FAN is very easy to quantify. If it ever comes, you will know what is coming. If you sign a treaty with them, you know what you're getting.

Ivan's rants/posturing (like Sponge or Blackadder) are dangerous for two reasons:

1. Their cards are *not* on the table. You will not see them coming. Sign a treaty with them, you won't know what you're getting.
  2. If you listen to them, even for a moment, you will start to be convinced.

The only way that you can deal with Ivan/Sponge/Blackadder rants is by completely disregarding them, and encouraging others to do so as well while at the same time realizing that not everyone *is* disregarding them, and preparing for the unknown. I've seen in more forums/irc channels than I can count the common admonition that is too telling, "Do not listen. It is Sponge."

And in stating that Sponge and Ivan are exactly the same, you show your ignorance. I find your analysis entirely off base, as usual. Mpol is certainly capable of deceit and cunning. There is a reason his avatar is a coyote and not a wolf or a bear. One need only to remember the reason for Polar's original beef with FAN. (Which is irelevent now, save to prove that FAN, and Mpol, are very capable of deception as a tactic).

The bottom line is, a good leader will make you think he is predictable or fits a certain stereotype or can be categorized and predicted while being capable of doing much much more. You really have no idea how Ivan, or Mpol operate and your statement above, which I bolded, is just great. Let me know how that works out for you in the end.

Also I think it's downright cute how obsessed you are with Mr. Sponge, who is departed from these lands. If you want to write a little poem for him or a nice greeting card, I could probably pass it on for you. He isn't around anymore and has nothing to do with FAN, Ivan, or anything else mentioned in this thread. Actually I lied it isn't cute at all. It's just plain creepy.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-snip-

I find it cute that you allow your personal dislike for me to render you incapable of distinguishing between a common methodology (which is what I plainly stated) and a common personality (which is what you have inferred). You additionally seem to believe that because I have used well known leaders to demonstrate a political truth that I am obsessed with them. I suppose I could have better accomplished my purpose by using little-known leaders?

I have a great deal of respect for you and have apologized to you for those areas in which I have wronged you, but what you seek to gain by this post is lost on me.

Gotta love how everyone's lining up to kiss FAN's $@! now. I guess it's the cool thing to do, ooh, they survived, let's all kiss their $@! now and pretend like we were rooting for them the whole time.

Give me a !@#$@#$ break.

I wasn't lining up to kiss FAN's butt. I was starting the line up to help them beat KDII up. Big difference there.

I find it cute that you allow your personal dislike for me to render you incapable of distinguishing between a common methodology (which is what I plainly stated) and a common personality (which is what you have inferred). You additionally seem to believe that because I have used well known leaders to demonstrate a political truth that I am obsessed with them. I suppose I could have better accomplished my purpose by using little-known leaders?

I have a great deal of respect for you and have apologized to you for those areas in which I have wronged you, but what you seek to gain by this post is lost on me.

But your post was just wrong. Incorrect. False. The difference in methodologies between Sponge/Ivan/Blackadder are all just as great as the differences in methodologies between mpol and any of the others. Your understanding of the methodologies of most of those people is mistaken (And the continued perpetuation of the Sponge-paranoia is just annoying, seeing as there's no reason for it anymore).

award winning problem solving skills have failed you.

At some point you'll figure out that the "I'm so cool that I can tell jokes that only I laugh at" thing failed GOONS in their first incarnation. Later on perhaps, probably later you've done something else regrettable, it will occur to you that there are alliances that thought that giving this incarnation of GOONS a second chance was a really bad idea and perhaps something needs to be done about it.

Don't think of my words as a threat, think of them as a friendly warning. Wise up.

But your post was just wrong. Incorrect. False. The difference in methodologies between Sponge/Ivan/Blackadder are all just as great as the differences in methodologies between mpol and any of the others. Your understanding of the methodologies of most of those people is mistaken (And the continued perpetuation of the Sponge-paranoia is just annoying, seeing as there's no reason for it anymore).

Then please feel free to correct my error. Being wrong, I can accept. Being falsely accused of hero-worship and paranoia I am less likely to tolerate.

It has nothing to do with any wrongs we have committed against each other. You just seem to enjoy posting analysis that I tend to disagree with. I did not confuse or infer anything incorrectly, I just happen to have worked with both Ivan in Sponge and therefore are in a position to disagree with your analysis of shared methodology. Just as I disagree with your perception of Mpol. I know how these guys operate, and I think you are passing judgment without enough information.

Also, please stop quoting astronaut jones. Why even have an ignore list if it doesn't work.

edit:

Then please feel free to correct my error. Being wrong, I can accept. Being falsely accused of hero-worship and paranoia I am less likely to tolerate.

I didn't claim hero worship. No, I think it's some sort of weird TOP-wide fetish.

Edited by RandomInterrupt

At some point you'll figure out that the "I'm so cool that I can tell jokes that only I laugh at" thing failed GOONS in their first incarnation. Later on perhaps, probably later you've done something else regrettable, it will occur to you that there are alliances that thought that giving this incarnation of GOONS a second chance was a really bad idea and perhaps something needs to be done about it.

Don't think of my words as a threat, think of them as a friendly warning. Wise up.

Was waiting for this failed card to be played. :facepalm: What ever happened to creativity?

While I am not a social scientist and do not seek to speculate on what Darth Hippo was speaking I can say that there are certain qualities about myself that are generally misunderstood. Most of these are so because I have purposefully created the ideas behind them and feel that even exposing them here will do little to change the overall perception because the mindset has been so finely tuned to accept the expressed "reality" that me simply commenting on it will do little to shatter the image.

Basically, while some in the past have used bluster and threats to make their point, I used such activities as a smokescreen while other activities took place behind the scenes. The most in-depth, hostile political discussion in this venue that I take part in is just background noise to what is likely happening behind the scenes in the dark corners where people plot and scheme. If I make a point here politically it is because I have already mapped out my opponents response and his or her future responses to whatever I put out there.

There are virtues to allowing emotion to get the better of you and to have the riled animalistic aspect, as Sponge often did, or some others do now, but for me personally, I have always preferred the illusion of emotion used as a means of gaining an emotional response from my opponent more than any rabid spittle from my own mouth. Through Passion, I gain Strength. But it is the control of that passion, and the ultimate realization of that strength as a stimuli to be used to control others, that grants me Power.

1pjvwn.jpg

:psyduck: How on earth do you think it's a good idea to threaten me?

P.S. FAN I haven't talked to you in a while, I really should remedy that. :v:

First off Londo, I never threatened you or your alliance. In fact, I love Athens. As you can see, just yesterday I invested 9 million into your group.

Second, I wrote and performed a whole sing-along war report about my blood oath. Did you not get the memo?

Third, are you really going to go the Vox Populi route of posting Pacifica screenshots to shock the world? Really? Besides, it's obviously photoshopped. My version didn't have the red line.

Of course not. Attack a disarmed protectorate? Who would do such a thing?

Mpol, I wouldn't classify Pacifica as a protectorate. That implies that we are protected against raids and other abuses.

How did this thread go in this direction?

I like mpol because he's funny. He's a lively character and all of his posts are great fun to read. I don't care about Ivan being "evil," or really anything like that. In fact, I usually agree with Ivan. But he's not funny. Also, I don't see how it's "posturing" since FAN has been true to their word for over 2 years, but okay then.

I'll admit, I fought against FAN in both VietFAN and VietFAN 2 (\m/ and TORN respectively). I disagreed with it both times, but I followed orders. I loved the D-Day thread, the "FAN - 1, Initiative - 0" thread, and pretty much all FAN threads, posted by mpol or not. Back then, I wasn't even a year old, and wanted to build my nation because that's what I thought mattered (I was sooooooooo close to having nukes back then ;_;). So then I helped found Vox and we fought along side FAN against NPO until we finally signed a treaty near Thanksgiving day. I've always loved FAN, but until Vox, I hadn't ever followed through.

EDIT:

Third, are you really going to go the Vox Populi route of posting Pacifica screenshots to shock the world? Really? Besides, it's obviously photoshopped. My version didn't have the red line.

That's the best route there is :awesome:

Edited by Earogema

First off Londo, I never threatened you or your alliance. In fact, I love Athens. As you can see, just yesterday I invested 9 million into your group.

Second, I wrote and performed a whole sing-along war report about my blood oath. Did you not get the memo?

Mpol, I wouldn't classify Pacifica as a protectorate. That implies that we are protected against raids and other abuses.

To be fair, Mary is really good a Scrabble, even to those of us that know how to spell.

So you finally bothered to look that word up. Knowing that definition a lot earlier would have come in handy don't ya think?

Almost every post you make consists of whining about reps or terms, its unbearable. Honestly, there has not been much to dislike about your alliance or the attitude of its members lately, something which I really am happy to see. This, of course, is with the exception of you, as for some reason you think hammering the same old points and cracking the same jokes over and over again like you did years ago will still get the result you desire. Try taking issue with Londos post itself, and not venturing into your comfort zone of reps jokes and term comments for once...it makes you look childish.

Get with the times man, your not doing your cause any favors.

Edited by Il Impero Romano

Of all the wars on your war screen, there isn't one that isn't either an obvious ghost/rogue or under 250 NS, where the alliances protecting you can't reach. I'm sure that if you have a problem with a raider in range of a normal nation they will be got rid of.

It will be interesting to see where FAN choose to align themselves in the new open world, and how they go about doing so. Most people have forgotten why they disliked FAN in the first place, and their long guerilla campaign won them a lot of sympathy, so many alliances will be quite receptive to friendships with FAN if they choose to go down a normal diplomatic route.