What would you do different?

youwish959

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps becoming so embedded in the politics of the Republic is what caused the Jedi's downfall.

Probably a lot to that, but I sure can't say just how much or even what to do to prevent a repeat.

Surely extreme political immersion can lead to severe cases of myopia and even macular-internationalis degeneration. I guess that then just begs questions of early diagnosis and what might constitute proper preventative or reactive responses.

Also, nice rims. Been meaning to compliment you on those for some time. They remind me of some old Obi-rays I lost in a swamp on Endor.

edit - inserted the bolded word

Edited by Geopet

I don't think Francesca ever faced any punitive measures, either. There are very few, though.

I was never put on any ZI list (that I know of) save that of VE. There are other punishments for spying though, indirect ones, as I knew and accepted that there would be before I announced my Vox status. Those, however, come with the rewards.

I think two of the spies we had admitted to spying publically. One did it on irc and caused a giant huggle fest.

Yeah, he's like that. If I remember correctly, ODN tried hard to get him to stay afterwards. That's the problem with lovable spies. :D

I've thought about this question before, and I really don't know. There's some things I have done that I didn't like doing, but were ultimately the best available option. Other things just sucked at the time but turned out right in the end. Some things were great at the time, and felt right, but far down the line turned out poorly.

I think the only things I have done that I really fully regret would be minor things that have stuck with me. When I was new in Polar government I slighted then Imperator Emeritus Tygaland who was seeking re-entry to Polar in the aftermath of GW1. I took issue with it when I shouldn't have and I insulted him in the process. It's been almost 3 years but I still feel bad about it.

I also wish I'd had nothing to do with the reformation of the VE. My very first diplomat job was to a newly formed alliance named the VE. As such I always had a soft spot for them. When the war against them took place, I did all I could to ensure that Polar had no part and I was successful in that. Although pretty much every other Polar was on the same page as me. I remember posting on their original forum when they disbanded and being ripped apart by their members who were obviously hurt. I pointed out that we had no treaty and I had no option to come to their defense save with any political pull I had. Still their members lashed out at me. It stuck with me, for some reason. When VE folks started reforming into smaller alliances, I advised my FA folks to offer any assistance we could to them. We did, I think, two protectorates. When they decided to merge into VE 2.0, I was pretty damned happy. I believe my folks treatied the new VE right away, probably before launch. I felt that I had paid off my debt to the folks that were hurt when Polar allowed the VE to die. In the end though, the VE ended up making the same mistakes as the first time and ended up being the same fools. Easily led, fast to abandon their allies, and perfectly willing to accept the safe path over the dangerous one.

It seems that alliances either survive and grow from conflict, or they buckle under the stress and die. It's the war test. I now believe that alliances that fail the war test should stay dead, and there is no better example in my mind than the VE. Now I'm sure some folks will want to attack my post, which is fine. I wont reply most likely and I wont care. I didn't write it as a historical document or a political attack or to "start anything". Just a little story about an act I regret and wish I could undo. For the most part though, I think I've managed to stay true to my gut and my self-morals and my actions have ultimately made the game enjoyable for my friends, which is enough for me.

Echoing the folks talking about not deleting their nations or buying more tech... I probably should have taken better care of my nation over the years as well. But the truth is never really pay much attention to it. I wish someone would have maybe pushed me to make it more useful though.

As of July 18, 2009...

Joined \m/ sooner. Been far more vocal about my misgivings about specific issues there.

Not much else really.

Valhalla has been fun. Once I made the decision to leave Ragnarok I had offers from several other alliances, but came here. I've felt not just wanted but needed from day 1.

Ragnarok...it was simply time for me to go. It was what was best for the alliance and my continuing frustration there with a certain individual was creating drama at a very critical time. I'm still very glad I went there after Browncoats and that I was able to contribute as much as I did before I left.

Browncoats...they were really one of the few alliances that even showed an interested in me. I was treated as some sort of military genius, which in retrospect is kind of...amusing. As Prime Minister every day brought new challenges and it was a pity that I could never get them to the place I wanted to go.

At any rate, before this become a mini autobiography, I'll shut up. ;)

Not getting a new nation after getting my nation deleted during GWIII. Instead, I got a nation from an old TOP member, which turned what would have been a somewhat grumpy resignation from TOP several months later into a complete debacle. I probably would have rejoined TOP a few months after leaving were it not for that.

(all this is with an old character)

Edited by essenia

My only regret is not fighting in the No Vision war.

Thought about this a bit more and I also regret not being more active for my first few months in FUN.

And of course, I wish I hadn't kept my Cattle and Gold. But honestly, I was thinking I'd be playing this for like a month tops.

Thought about this a bit more and I also regret not being more active for my first few months in FUN.

And of course, I wish I hadn't kept my Cattle and Gold. But honestly, I was thinking I'd be playing this for like a month tops.

I regret not recruiting you and Terr to TOOL before FUN got you. :P

-Bama

Kept Obsidian going rather then taking a year off from the game and letting it merge into the failure that was The Dark Evolution

Heh, which reminds me.

Not made a nation.

If I still did, not let the gov from AC/DC get coup'd.

If I still did, not went with the merge of AC/DC and BPS to make BDC.

If I still did, manned up and said told Umbrae what I thought of him and his whole "you spaid" thing during the BDC/NPO war.

If I still did, not offered to merge BDC with Element which started the whole thing which became DE.

If I still did, not let the DE gov be changed to an Imperial system.

If I still did, joined DT much much earlier.

Honestly, I regret not doing a lot of things in CN. Overall I probably regret the time I lost.

I would have done a number of things differently during my time as MHA Trium, but nothing major would have changed as a result of those decisions, I don't think.

The biggest thing I would change would be to not have given so much aid out during my nation's middle age. I sat there sending out 15 Mill every ten days and not buying tech while the cohort of nations I joined CN with surged to 90-100K and my nation stagnated at 30-40K.

The biggest thing I would change would be to not have given so much aid out during my nation's middle age. I sat there sending out 15 Mill every ten days and not buying tech while the cohort of nations I joined CN with surged to 90-100K and my nation stagnated at 30-40K.

So, in retrospect, you would prefer to build your own nation, not those of the other members of your alliance?

Politically, I haven't really involved myself outside of sphere politics, so there are no regrets there, other than maybe it would have been fun to be an evil (or benevolent) dictator in charge of a much more "important" alliance. I still got to have fun fighting for the NPO in GW3 and other stuff (like Fark fighting) prior. I'm glad I moved to MFO, though, as it's always more fun starting up an alliance with friends from outside the game.

Individually, gold and water are fine resources, but it's annoying when the trades dropped. If I had known everything about CN from the start in Dec of 06, I'd have rerolled for 3BG resources. (But that's just to make things easier for me doing a perm trade circle rather than the annoying searching for individual trades that I do now). More importantly, I'd have dealt tech as a mini-nation. Instead, I was buying small packages of like 10-15 tech from an alliance mate when I only had a couple hundred and like 2k infra.