Most Epic War

Malik Shabazz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm ... let's work through all the major wars starting with GW1 (mainly because earlier wars mainly consisted of one-sided NPO beatdowns of other alliances, and where's the drama in that?).

GW1: The Orders stand (mostly) alone against a large coalition of other alliances and face defeat for the first time. This war focuses their FA efforts for months.

GW2: The game spills out into real life, when the real government of Norway objects to NoR's use of their national anthem in a NoR recruiting video because of implied Nazi themes. Fark.com reports this on their site, which leads to the formation of the FARK alliance in-game. GOONS, due to a longstanding Something Awful-Fark.com rivalry, decides to attack the new alliance. LUE, still confident from their victory in GW1, objects, even over a
possible NAP to prevent conflict. A short, though major, war ensues, where the remnants of the CoaLUEtion from GW1 are defeated, and LUE is abandoned to a long war with NPO's allies in the Initiative.

GW3: The Initiative, acting on the opinions of the then-leader of GATO, attacks GATO in order to try to draw out its allies. A few days later they respond, but in a longer war than GW2 are thoroughly defeated. At one point /b/, sensing defeat, spams the boards with inappropriate conflict and hack the game. Many of their members are banned, and the game is left in limbo for a few days. There is rampant speculation over whether the game will even continue. Ultimately the game does come back, and /b/ disbands. Several other alliances on the AEGIS side are forced to disband, such as NAAC, which had been a constant opponent of the Orders almost since the beginning of the game. Others were forced onto different teams, such as LoSS. The first alliances also started leaving WUT as the war drew to a close.

UJW: Former Initiative allies faced off against one another. This was a death knell for the bloc that had ruled the game and been on the winning side for the past two major wars. GOONS disbanded, and NPO began working behind the scenes to take down NpO for its actions in this war and for its efforts
in reinstating a former Emperor atop NPO.

WotC/NoCB: The culmination of NPO's efforts came to a head as NpO was isolated and then hit by a large coaltion of alliances that NPO hoped would become a new base of loyal allies. A lot of doubt was spread among the various alliances though that if NPO could turn on NpO, it could turn on anyone.

Karma: For the first time since GW1, NPO tasted defeat. That large coalition it had built for WotC had proven to not be as closely knit as its previous blocs. The famous "Coalition of Cowards" thread had shattered the image of the invincible NPO. The coalition arrayed against it would last for longer than Q, but not forever.

BiPolar:
NpO's conflicting ties would eventually lead it to switch sides in the middle of a war it had started. There would be rumblings that it had
been a set-up to begin with. A major TOP-NpO feud started (or by NpO's words, had simply lain dormant since WotC/NoCB) that would shape the
next couple of wars, if not more.

PB-NpO: Allegations of spying would spark off a war featuring the first time the new bloc PB would fight together. A separate coaliton involving DH (which included two PB alliances) would strike NPO on the suspicion that they were either waiting to strike themselves or were sitting out to avoid conflict. While the war was a success, it would eventually sow the seeds of PB's disbandment and the rise of the next major power.

Grudge War: The culmination of the TOP-NpO feud. TOP had wished for revenge for BiPolar, and now it finally had its chance. Duckroll, built around
TOP's ally IRON, now took its turn at the head of a major war, with PB supporting (though with cracks appearing). Now SF found itself on the losing end for the first time since its victory in Karma.

Dave War: MK and C&G finally come directly to blows with SF, officially ending the unoffical SG (SF and C&G) coalition that had been in place since Karma.

Equlibirium War: A large-scale attempt to bring down the strongest alliance (in terms of upper tier anyway), Umbrella, fails, but in the process many of Umbrella's allies are dealt a big blow and as a whole surrender to the winning coalition Equilibrium. Only time will tell if it will stand together.

I like these kind of post and personal analysis.  Kudos.

Most wars are fairly one-sided and are foregone conclusions, so it's really the politics that makes things interesting. I enjoyed the GW3 era politics more than our current set, or most of the atmosphere in subsequent wars. Karma probably did the most toward moving the world in a new direction.

It is impossible at this moment to judge the most recent wars until we see what world they create. As far as the actual fighting goes, this most recent war was interesting in that although the Eq coalition had numerical superiority, the tier advantage of my own coalition actually made it a fairly even fight as far as global wars go, yes with the extension of our advantage in the highest tiers, but yes also at the same time, finally at least notching a great deal of us into "range" such that I don't have to listen to the constant whining and complaining that I used to hear about how we needed to start aiding our tech away to get in range of people.

It's pretty obvious that they were trying to aid a rogue, so it really isn't an assumption.

That's odd to say "aid" when you mean "declare war upon." You're a funny fellow.

"Epic" as in "great" and "important"?

The most important wars are those that saw a shift of power which happened with a major clash and which, statistically, involved most of the forces present in CN at that time.

In my time the only one that fully qualifies is Karma. I can't yet tell whether the post-EQ world will justify considering this last conflict "most epic".

From what I read GW3 was "epic" too (and it has the advantage of being an old story), but I wasn't there and I can't tell first hand.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, it was GATO-1Vision.  Gato, IAA, CSN, and USN against the world.  We were decimated, but it was the most fun war I ever fought.

Totally Agee, definitely up there with GW3. Also honourable mention for GW1, the innocence of that time was brilliant.

GWIII was great.

I would have to agree with WC. GWIII was in the middle of the golden years on planet Bob, and thusly was extremely fun in its build up and eventual culmination of war.

I personally got my ass kicked in that war, but it was by far the most exciting war ive participated in.

God I wish I was around for Bipolar.

Karma was probably the most epic, at least that I've lived through. NPO going down was pretty significant, and this, imo, was the end of the Age of Heroes/ Golden Age/ whatever name you want to assign it. 

No you don't. We got rolled. Rolled hard. 

Wasn't around for anything before WotC, so I would have to say BiPolar by a longshot.  

It helps that I was right in the thick of it as an \m/ treaty partner, but I'd say that the build up was very interesting with the 4 poles aligning in a 2v2 that promised for what could turn into a pretty even war which is something many started to think would never happen again.  The exchanges on the OWF between \m/ & friends and Polar & friends were also pretty fantastic as was the anticipation of whether or not Polar would actually go through with attacking and then the anticipation of whether or not one PC's allies would come in for them and actually start a serious war.  The fact that the forums went down made the anticipation all the more intense.  

The Polar switch was both horrible and spectacular at the same time.  On the one hand it threw the whole original point of the war and the even sides out the window, but on the other it was an amazing and hilarious "OH SHIT" moment that remains my most memorable experience in this game.  I was chuckling to myself all night, my roommate probably thought I was insane.

Yeah, definitely BiPolar by a longshot.

Bipolar was chaotic, Karma was funny and WotC was depressing. OOC unpleasantness aside, the UJW was the most enjoyable and definitely had the best ending. Rest of the wars I've been around for were boring as hell.

Edited by Fallen Fool

Karma hands down. PZI was prevalent, you had major spying happening (Vox Populi) and that led to some epic threads on the OWF, great characters in all corners of the political spectrum, and the best bad guy Planet Bob has ever seen in NPO who took their role very seriously.

Also a lot of people forget, most alliances had a no first nuke policy when it came to wars prior to Karma and all of that was thrown out the window 24 hours after the first declarations.

Good times if you were on the side of Karma.

PZI/EZI wasn't all that prevalent by Karma.

Ardus had come up with that anti PZI/EZI open treaty of sorts prior to Karma and many alliances signed it, but it did cause some friction between allies in some corners of Planet Bob. I'll agree that while the idea of applying that type of punishment was becoming taboo prior to Karma, it was still used with regular frequency. Edited by Bill Wallace

GW3 was the funnest, in my book. It remains the biggest war in CN history, and it took place before the WRC and the tech bonus. Good times.

Dave War: MK and C&G finally come directly to blows with SF, officially ending the unoffical SG (SF and C&G) coalition that had been in place since Karma.

SG was long gone by that point. It had died almost immediately after PB-NpO, about 1.5 years earlier. 

WotC/NoCB: The culmination of NPO's efforts came to a head as NpO was isolated and then hit by a large coaltion of alliances that NPO hoped would become a new base of loyal allies. A lot of doubt was spread among the various alliances though that if NPO could turn on NpO, it could turn on anyone.

Not accurate either. That war was largely the work of the Citadel alliances (namely Gre, TOP, and Umbrella) and some Q allies, an effort aided by the fact that electron sponge had managed to piss off just about everyone in CN. The NPO was not involved in making that war happen; quite the opposite, really. Indeed, NPO was the reason it did not happen earlier, as they spent months deliberately standing in the way of those who wanted to attack Polar. They stepped out of the way only when it became clear that they risked severely alienating their Q allies otherwise. They blew a ton of political capital on protecting NpO, which turned out to be a terrible decision; they offended many of their allies, and this led quite a few of those to break with NPO in the months after the war.

For the record, I still think that WotC was the most well-executed curbstomp ever. And I don't think any war has topped its blitz: over two thousand wars declared in 20 minutes. A silly game though this may be, I still take a bit of pride at having been at the head of that war effort.

Edited by Crymson

Ardus had come up with that anti PZI/EZI open treaty of sorts prior to Karma and many alliances signed it, but it did cause some friction between allies in some corners of Planet Bob. I'll agree that while the idea of applying that type of punishment was becoming taboo prior to Karma, it was still used with regular frequency.

EZI was still used in 2009. In fact that's the reason I created the EZICO for.

• 2 weeks later...

GW1- Nothing like it had ever been seen it CN before. Set up a bi-polar cold war that didn't really end until GW3.

GW3 - Largest war in CN history. Set up an NPO hegemony for two years.

Karma - Ended the NPO's hegemony.

BiPolar - Mainly because of it size and that it put an end to the moralist faction in CN.

To all the people saying Karma, were we fighting the same war?  Karma was a total curb-stomp, much thanks to Sparta pulling the classic switch to what they figured would be the winning side of a conflict and the failure of NPO's other allies to step up to the plate in the early runnings.  Even still, there was a very moralist glow to that conflict that I really don't think has been recreated since.  Hell, even the typical politicizing that was done by NPO in those days was completely shut down, and NPO was barely heard from if at all on the OWF during that conflict. 

Then to top it all off, after the huge morality line drawn over reps, NPO were forced to pay ridiculous reparations, but still, it was nice to see red become an open sphere and a final end to VietFAN.