Most Epic War

Malik Shabazz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW2, good build up, Norway and NoR buisness leading FARK to Planet Bob, two fairly even sides not tied each other by a big silly web, alliances that had a 1000 members, The League vs The Initiative, Legion and ODN failing to enter, treaties and politics mattered. 

Hmm ... let's work through all the major wars starting with GW1 (mainly because earlier wars mainly consisted of one-sided NPO beatdowns of other alliances, and where's the drama in that?).

GW1: The Orders stand (mostly) alone against a large coalition of other alliances and face defeat for the first time. This war focuses their FA efforts for months.

GW2: The game spills out into real life, when the real government of Norway objects to NoR's use of their national anthem in a NoR recruiting video because of implied Nazi themes. Fark.com reports this on their site, which leads to the formation of the FARK alliance in-game. GOONS, due to a longstanding Something Awful-Fark.com rivalry, decides to attack the new alliance. LUE, still confident from their victory in GW1, objects, even over a
possible NAP to prevent conflict. A short, though major, war ensues, where the remnants of the CoaLUEtion from GW1 are defeated, and LUE is abandoned to a long war with NPO's allies in the Initiative.

GW3: The Initiative, acting on the opinions of the then-leader of GATO, attacks GATO in order to try to draw out its allies. A few days later they respond, but in a longer war than GW2 are thoroughly defeated. At one point /b/, sensing defeat, spams the boards with inappropriate conflict and hack the game. Many of their members are banned, and the game is left in limbo for a few days. There is rampant speculation over whether the game will even continue. Ultimately the game does come back, and /b/ disbands. Several other alliances on the AEGIS side are forced to disband, such as NAAC, which had been a constant opponent of the Orders almost since the beginning of the game. Others were forced onto different teams, such as LoSS. The first alliances also started leaving WUT as the war drew to a close.

UJW: Former Initiative allies faced off against one another. This was a death knell for the bloc that had ruled the game and been on the winning side for the past two major wars. GOONS disbanded, and NPO began working behind the scenes to take down NpO for its actions in this war and for its efforts
in reinstating a former Emperor atop NPO.

WotC/NoCB: The culmination of NPO's efforts came to a head as NpO was isolated and then hit by a large coaltion of alliances that NPO hoped would become a new base of loyal allies. A lot of doubt was spread among the various alliances though that if NPO could turn on NpO, it could turn on anyone.

Karma: For the first time since GW1, NPO tasted defeat. That large coalition it had built for WotC had proven to not be as closely knit as its previous blocs. The famous "Coalition of Cowards" thread had shattered the image of the invincible NPO. The coalition arrayed against it would last for longer than Q, but not forever.

BiPolar:
NpO's conflicting ties would eventually lead it to switch sides in the middle of a war it had started. There would be rumblings that it had
been a set-up to begin with. A major TOP-NpO feud started (or by NpO's words, had simply lain dormant since WotC/NoCB) that would shape the
next couple of wars, if not more.

PB-NpO: Allegations of spying would spark off a war featuring the first time the new bloc PB would fight together. A separate coaliton involving DH (which included two PB alliances) would strike NPO on the suspicion that they were either waiting to strike themselves or were sitting out to avoid conflict. While the war was a success, it would eventually sow the seeds of PB's disbandment and the rise of the next major power.

Grudge War: The culmination of the TOP-NpO feud. TOP had wished for revenge for BiPolar, and now it finally had its chance. Duckroll, built around
TOP's ally IRON, now took its turn at the head of a major war, with PB supporting (though with cracks appearing). Now SF found itself on the losing end for the first time since its victory in Karma.

Dave War: MK and C&G finally come directly to blows with SF, officially ending the unoffical SG (SF and C&G) coalition that had been in place since Karma.

Equlibirium War: A large-scale attempt to bring down the strongest alliance (in terms of upper tier anyway), Umbrella, fails, but in the process many of Umbrella's allies are dealt a big blow and as a whole surrender to the winning coalition Equilibrium. Only time will tell if it will stand together.

Great War 2, due to the lead-in from a RL event (Norway's objection to NoR's recruitment video).

In my honest opinion, we could have avoided two hole years of stagnation under NPO rule if Legion and ODN had joined that war.  The sides were equal already, and the entry of those two could well have tipped the scales in the League's favor, thereby avoiding GW3 or postponing it at least.

Equlibirium War: A large-scale attempt to bring down the strongest alliance (in terms of upper tier anyway), Umbrella, fails, but in the process many of Umbrella's allies are dealt a big blow and as a whole surrender to the winning coalition Equilibrium. Only time will tell if it will stand together.

Fails? Sorry.... Were you involved in the same war? There was no failure there, lots of losses for all alliances, but wasnt the goal to drop Umbrella? As far as it shows.... That goal was achieved ;)

Edit: I am going to go with Armagedon Edited by EddyH

I tried to highlight the major coalition in each of those wars. PB was a major force for two wars, and then fell apart. DH (which my alliance is not a part of) has clearly outlasted it, and I acknowledged that. As for the SF comments, we had long ties with the bloc that only ended between the last two wars, and I felt the falling apart of SG was worth mentioning. And the comment about Equilibrium staying together, all I'm saying is that coalitions (and most blocs for that matter) don't have lasting power in this game. Most of the coalitions seem to fall apart or turn on each other. Some blocs simply outlast others.

And yes Eddy, the war against Umbrella failed. The war against Umbrella's allies (including VE) succeeded tremendously. Kudos.

The Karma War was in the making for years. The build-up of a coalition willing to sacrifice everything to stand against the NPO and Co. was one of the most courageous moves in CN. The implications of Karma still reverberate today in CN.

As exciting as the previous war - the Equilibrium War - was, it didn't really have the same build-up or moralist dimension Karma did.

BiPolar, EQ, Karma, in that order. I've only been here since the day of WotC though.

BiPolar was insane shit since it was the post-Karma arms race, then all the crazy shit involved with that war, including the MK-NpO QnA that was later unveiled.

EQ was a decent buildup, and a toughly contested (if short) battle in the trenches with either rematch potential or a setting aside of differences and a future of working together with the main blocs involved.  Either way will bring a good deal of entertainment I'm sure.

Karma was something that took a long time to plan, and the culmination felt so sweet. Also, logs of everyone flipping shit when NPO declared during peace talks were hilarious.  It fell short, however, in the fact that there was a clear victor by the time the declarations wrapped up.

Edited by Neo Uruk

Not including anything before the Unjust war as I wasn't around for them.

The politics of Bipolar itself, with the switching sides was the most interesting.  The politics leading up to Karma was the most interesting, and Karma was the most game-changing.  The last war was the most interesting statistically, but ultimately mostly one-sided.

I disagree with Cornelius about Umbrella in the last war.  They were far from eliminated as a major alliance, but they were taken down a major peg.

Great War 2, due to the lead-in from a RL event (Norway's objection to NoR's recruitment video).

In my honest opinion, we could have avoided two hole years of stagnation under NPO rule if Legion and ODN had joined that war.  The sides were equal already, and the entry of those two could well have tipped the scales in the League's favor, thereby avoiding GW3 or postponing it at least.

This was a time when global wars were fought when their was no clear curbstomp coming.  Since GW3 nobody takes that gamble, no risks unless they out match the otherside by a massive degree. 

By the definition in the topic you'd have to imagine it was Karma. The buildup was far more dramatic than anything really seen since, with how things swung back and forth in the months (Gre leaving Q, Int incident) and days (negotiation breakdowns, Sparta cancelling) leading up to it, and it really flipped CN on its head. You can say with the conclusions of most wars that given time, things can drift back toward the average and that there isn't a whole lot lasting from it beside the fact that there was a war and some alliances got it worse than others, but you can distinctly look at the world before and after Karma and realize that there was never a chance to see the world drift back to where it was before that war.

IMO I think it's a tie between Karma and EQ:

Karma: Years of NPO's iron-fisted hegemony over CN came to an end, as most of CN finally stood up to them. I've even had to go back and read old threads, just to get the general feeling of it. They were some of the best DoWs I've ever read. I wish I was around to experience it.

EQ: Umbrella thinking they could get away with aiding a rogue, and AI and their coalition seeking to put an end to the DH hegemony sparked this war. A back and forth stalemate inwhich, neither side could really declare victory. It is probably the best war I've fought in.