Name This War Thread - DOOM - FTW/NATO War

Tevron

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Andrewb610 said:

Despite the crap you’re getting about your suggestions, I actually laughed out loud when I read this. 

Indeed, while Tevron's were for the most part stinkers (sorry Tev!), this was his best attempt so far.

1 hour ago, Codainia said:

The Casualty Crusade.

You see, not to pre-empt anything, but this only really works if CCC decides to come to play. Where's the fun in a Crusade, if no "Deus Vult"?

6 hours ago, Master Hakai said:

Why not just don’t name the war it’s really not a big deal

I find myself agreeing with you and chuckling at Levonscott's Delusions of Grandeur jab. That's enough internet for now.

Edited by CrinkledStraw

18 hours ago, CrinkledStraw said:

I find myself agreeing with you and chuckling at Levonscott's Delusions of Grandeur jab. That's enough internet for now.

normally i dont cheque my mentions but since it said crinkle straw i had to read and i am SO glad i did! great post, i actually idk what ur talkin about tho what is delusions of grandeur about? nobody is making sense hear this thread is ass

Keep the focus of the conversation on naming the war. Stop posting image spam, stop trolling each other over diction, stop discussing coalition politics. Consider this a verbal warning to everyone in the thread.

8 hours ago, socrates said:

Keep the focus of the conversation on naming the war. Stop posting image spam, stop trolling each other over diction, stop discussing coalition politics. Consider this a verbal warning to everyone in the thread.

These forums are still moderated?

12 hours ago, socrates said:

As some players lack reading comprehension skills, this thread will now be locked for the next day or two.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, Smitty256 said:

Since FTW and NATO started this war

Recalling that this is was a "defensive" declaration by NATO and FTW in response to DBDC's blanket DoW (according to their recognition of hostilities, and numerous instances of parroting, anyway), it really falls to Doom to name it, if we're going by the logic of who "started" the war.

Further, since the prevailing consensus on that front is the Delusions of Grandeur War (JA, making himself relevant again?), the matter is quite settled.

...that us, unless the opposing forces have dropped any pretence of them really being the victim?

---

In principle, though, I do agree with Tevron that we should attempt to find an title that is amenable to all parties.

Edited by Levonscott

11 hours ago, King Cyan said:

Equilibrium War 2.0 except NPO is and has now absorbed much of the Doomhouse side. 

Anti-bibo war 2.0

4 hours ago, Levonscott said:

In principle, though, I do agree with Tevron that we should attempt to find an title that is amenable to all parties.

I do agree with this, although tbh I don't know if I get how Herogasm doesn't fit this criteria since it doesn't really have anything to do with either side, it's just a funny and meme-able name. The only thing I can think of is that the Doom/Oculus side didn't come up with the name, but that doesn't make it a bad name lol.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:18 AM, Canik said:

or Bipolar War II

Ironically I actually think this might be one of the better suggestions, in hindsight. It has developed some similar features such as the war sort of splintering into two sub conflicts within the larger war, and the bigger escalation taking a week to really kick off. Also both wars have seen FAIL be revived to support their allies lol. I'm sure it's not perfect since I wasn't really active at the time of Bipolar, but I feel like it might kind of work.

47 minutes ago, lilweirdward said:

The only thing I can think of is that the Doom/Oculus side didn't come up with the name, but that doesn't make it a bad name lol.

I don't claim to speak for the whole coalition, but in my opinion, it's just not funny (or alternatively, relevant)? That, or I'm missing a reference somewhere.

49 minutes ago, lilweirdward said:

[...] since it doesn't really have anything to do with either side [...]

Call me odd, but I love wars which are named in a way that parodies/works off of both sides. Snake Eyes, for example incorporating both RFI's dice theme, and the COBRAsphere's ophidian nature 😅

1 hour ago, lilweirdward said:

Ironically I actually think this might be one of the better suggestions, in hindsight. It has developed some similar features such as the war sort of splintering into two sub conflicts within the larger war, and the bigger escalation taking a week to really kick off. Also both wars have seen FAIL be revived to support their allies lol. I'm sure it's not perfect since I wasn't really active at the time of Bipolar, but I feel like it might kind of work.

BiPolar-Equilibrium war?  Sounds scientific. 

20 minutes ago, Levonscott said:

That, or I'm missing a reference somewhere.

On this specific point: it's a reference to an episode of a TV show called The Boys. The Boys is a popular show based on a popular comic series of the same name, and this episode released on the same weekend that the war started, hence the relevance.

Every war is named differently by the respective combatants, there doesn't have to be one single name for a conflict. Snake Eyes was known as the Korlathican War by COBRA as Levon pointed out. IRL Russia refers to WWII as The Great Patriotic War.

Ultimately the name that sticks the most tends to be determined by who actually wins the war.

Also based on how rapidly this war has just become a pretty tepid slow grind with no genuinely exciting developments beyond the addition of inactive fodder to pad numbers? "Anti-Climax" seems fairly apt for a name, if only to serve as a contrast to "Herogasm"

I support there being 2 names for the war. I like most on my side of the war support the name "Herogasm War". I also like "18th War of Argent Relevancy". BiPolar II or Anti-Climax are both good suggestions as well.