The Amazing Sanction Race

Logan

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1319423330' post='2831311']
To be fair, that's largely to be expected in any lobsided war. Remember, each SOS nation can only be nuked once per day, but can dish out far more punishment than that as long as it has multiple opponents and a nuclear stockpile. NG simply has so many more nations that can be hit by nukes, and therefore suffer more damage than you'd expect in the opening week of war.

Once SOS nations exhaust their supply, you'll see that strength in numbers start to show itself to a far greater degree.
[/quote]

We've also been losing a few nations, including one over 80k NS. :/

RIP JCFalkenberg

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1319418212' post='2831250']
[color=blue]•[/color] [url=http://www.cybernations.net/stats_alliance_stats_custom.asp?Alliance=New Sakura Order][color=pink]New Sakura Order[/color][/url]: 1.95 --> 1.76 ([color=red]-0.19[/color]) / -42.1% cumulative
[/quote]
That was a nice blitz you had there... it would be a shame if something happened to it.

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1319423330' post='2831311']
To be fair, that's largely to be expected in any lobsided war. Remember, each SOS nation can only be nuked once per day, but can dish out far more punishment than that as long as it has multiple opponents and a nuclear stockpile. NG simply has so many more nations that can be hit by nukes, and therefore suffer more damage than you'd expect in the opening week of war.

Once SOS nations exhaust their supply, you'll see that strength in numbers start to show itself to a far greater degree.
[/quote]

Well, this would be true if they used their nukes wisely. My target rolled a hard six and is out of nukes after just 2 updates. So thats 25 nukes down the drain with only 6 or 7 hits.

[quote name='Unknown Smurf' timestamp='1319497241' post='2831799']
Touche :P .. the joke I was going for was that if he joins my alliance, then I'll get his [i]new[/i] alliance 100k tech, but well played :awesome:
[/quote]
Ah excellent, I was wise to your prank after all.

Though my people will still be in contact with your people.

[quote name='Matt Miller' timestamp='1319479394' post='2831637']Polar has that many free FA slots? You are generous, Sir.[/quote]
Well, I found it mildly funny but not ground breaking (I guess I am just my usual annoying self), but on the other hand it's always nice to get a Matt Miller sighting.

On stats, I too am surprised to see how SOS Brigade is performing. They're horribly outnumbered and they can't win, but they seem to be holding their own. Well done from this uninformed me.

Edited by jerdge

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1319571906' post='2832216']
Well, I found it mildly funny but not ground breaking (I guess I am just my usual annoying self), but on the other hand it's always nice to get a Matt Miller sighting.

On stats, I too am surprised to see how SOS Brigade is performing. They're horribly outnumbered and they can't win, but they seem to be holding their own. Well done from this uninformed me.
[/quote]

How are they holding their own?

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1319337983' post='2830749']
Thanks guys. :)

Though, to be honest, the stats/historian part of me loves to do this. So it gives me a good excuse to statsgasm on a regular basis.

And my alliance was once offered 30k tech for me to join GR. Three years ago. So you'll have to do better than that. ;)
[/quote]
this isn't a joke we really did that 3 years ago when that was a lot more then it is now

Bias aside, I'm not sure how one can justify saying that SOS, who is at about half their pre-war strength, is holding its own as it's sliced off a whole 5% of NG's.

:huh:

(Perhaps such claims are based off of number of anarchies? NG has about twice as many as SOS, yes, but they also have about 10x as many members. Even if that wasn't the case though raw number of anarchies isn't as telling of a statistic as others.)

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1319572197' post='2832217']How are they holding their own?[/quote]
I didn't give much thought or made any great analysis to support my statement - in fact qualifying myself as "uninformed". I could just stop here without even bothering to go on, it's not that I think I have a strong case.

Just for fun, anyway, I'll explain why I have that impression. It's not because of bias, SirWilliam: the only SOS member that (I remember that) I know is Mastermind (which is a nice person OOC-ly, BTW), and that's all I can say about them.
I can't say much more on NG either - other than I have a general nice opinion of kriek. I'm really [i]horribly neutral[/i] on this war... :awesome:

At the [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=11169&view=findpost&p=2826718"]beginning[/url] of the conflict SOS had 1/10 of NG's NS and nation count and 1/15 of NG's nukes. Their fight was never anything else than [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=11169&view=findpost&p=2827090"]hopeless[/url], of course.
After more or less one round of war the SOS doesn't seem to have lost any member - if I am not mistaken they instead gained one - which is probably their most notable result.
They dropped from an ANS of 46k-ish to 25k-ish, which is a severe loss but, I'd guess, not an extreme one, considering that the war is nuclear and NG, IIRC, has many nations with significant tech levels and WRCs.
Going out on a limb and without caring to actually check SOS's NS graph (and without pulling out any calculator, for that matter) I'd say that losing 3k+ NS per day should be common for nations in the mid-low nuclear range (50k-ish NS): facing a 5k tech WRC nation can mean losing 400 land/infra and 120 tech per day - which IIRC count for 2.4k NS - and going from, say, 20 to 5 nukes means losing 3.75k NS, i.e. another 0.5k+ NS per day. Add to that the military losses (navy, reduced soldier count), of course also subtracting the nuke damage for the first day, and you get that the SOS Brigade lost more or less what they just couldn't avoid to lose, because of the raw game mechanics.
Their performance doesn't look that bad to me, considering their situation, especially as they didn't bleed members despite being in a very bad spot.

Am I wrong? Well, as said and showed, I didn't exactly run some great calc model to support my considerations. They were really just random thoughts. I am too lazy to do any more analysis myself, but I'd gladly read anything anyone else can come up with.