Silent treaty cancelations

Ch33kY

[quote name='Captain Flinders' timestamp='1326829593' post='2901602']
To inform the world who your current allies are. It's kinda self explanatory. I think not announcing treaties and cancellations is absolutely ridiculous. Treaties are a huge portion of how the politics of this world function. Announcing treaty updates is part of that system. You really can't function as a legitimate political entity without working within the established system.
[/quote]

Maybe it is a necessary part of being a legitimate political entity, but there is little reason beyond those formalities to announce to the world that your alliance has become somewhat weaker. Seeing as we will hear about cancelations eventually anyway, yeah they should probably control how it is heard.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know MK has done silent treaty downgrades in the past, but I don't support them at all. If you make a decision you think may be unpopular or controversial, then you need to stick by your decision.

Not too sure what brought this on, must be people only just finding out about ODN-Sparta.

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1326822797' post='2901566']
If you decide to make a FA move then you should have the balls to stand behind it.

Post'em or others will. :science:
[/quote]
I agree with this, and despite being generally ~in the know~ when it comes to treaty cancellations I applaud anyone that does announce those that aren't posted to the OWF.

[quote name='Banksy' timestamp='1326832853' post='2901642']
I know MK has done silent treaty downgrades in the past, but I don't support them at all. If you make a decision you think may be unpopular or controversial, then you need to stick by your decision.

Not too sure what brought this on, must be people only just finding out about ODN-Sparta.
[/quote]
And Argent-PF.

:ph34r:

[quote name='Aeternos Astramora' timestamp='1326833968' post='2901655']
And Argent-PF.

:ph34r:
[/quote]

So now the truth comes out; no wonder you wanted that redundant and unannounced treaty we more or less signed!

[/quote]
Or VE-RIA.

There is a certain degree of political prudence in keeping cancellations private, and in Deinos/Gondor history, we've done it quietly because we thought the thread could get ugly between parties involved. I can agree with people who think it's bad for the future of CN, or at least the public politics of CN.

[quote name='Hereno' timestamp='1326812735' post='2901519']
When I'm in the alliance who might get ripped on in the thread, I'm in favor of not posting the cancellation. When I'm anybody else, I want to have fun ripping on the posting alliance in the cancellation thread. This is why I bet 90% of the posts here will be anti-silent cancellations even though they happen all the time.
[/quote]

This is the reason I was never in favor of posting cancellations. It's usually a humiliation for the party that gets cancelled on. If threads could still be locked on author's request, my stance would be different.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1326840084' post='2901746']
This is the reason I was never in favor of posting cancellations. It's usually a humiliation for the party that gets cancelled on. If threads could still be locked on author's request, my stance would be different.
[/quote]

It's not humiliating if the split was indeed amicable. However, I do agree with you that the long running "experiment" of allowing threads to continue [i]ad nauseum[/i] may indeed discourage people from posting treaty changes and the like and make the problem worse. Bring back requesting (and granting) thread locks please.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1326841203' post='2901761']
It's not humiliating if the split was indeed amicable. However, I do agree with you that the long running "experiment" of allowing threads to continue [i]ad nauseum[/i] may indeed discourage people from posting treaty changes and the like and make the problem worse. Bring back requesting (and granting) thread locks please.
[/quote]
What? That's not allowed anymore? Apparently I need to reread the ToS. How can that [i]not[/i] be allowed? It's a frickin forum! But now that you mention it, I haven't seen it done in ages. Although I agree with you, I also hardly see a point of posting an announcement just to have it locked from the OP. That seems more telling of the community then anything...

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1326841203' post='2901761']
[/quote]

Although threads that go: "X cancels on Y. I request a lock" are no fun either...

[quote name='Wu Tang Clan' timestamp='1326845642' post='2901814']
Although threads that go: "X cancels on Y. I request a lock" are no fun either...
[/quote]

It's a lot better than making this game even less accessible to the small percentage it's currently accessible to.

This thread could be linked when the next (or current?) "why CN is dying zomg" thread.

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1326822797' post='2901566']
If you decide to make a FA move then you should have the balls to stand behind it.

Post'em or others will. :science:
[/quote]
Are you saying VE has no balls for canceling on RIA?

[quote name='Jaiar' timestamp='1326848527' post='2901847']
Are you saying VE has no balls for canceling on RIA?
[/quote]

More likely it's a recent issue and maybe cancellation periods haven't expired. That seems more reasonable

Alliances that cancel on another alliance have zero obligation to tell the OWF about the cancellation. Also, it's generally humiliating to the alliance being canceled on because of how much of a flame fest it becomes.

If you don't want to announce it, you don't have to. OWF blowhards don't need to dictate your announcement policies.

[/quote]

ODN-Sparta and VE-RIA are the two most recent cases, but there have been few a while back. I don't think it matters so much for treaty downgrading, but for a cancellation it is pretty important to post it mainly for this reason:

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1326832290' post='2901633']
It's bad because it restricts the ability for normal players to get into the political game.
[/quote]

[quote name='Londo Mollari' timestamp='1326847917' post='2901844']
Not announcing treaty cancellations is like not telling any of your friends you broke up with your girlfriend. ;)
[/quote]

^ This, tis awkward. But then again the treaties never say anything about having to announce it publicly only to require an x amount of time before the cancel...