Who are you? No, dude, really, who are you?

Kzoppistan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1281915670' post='2417135']
Probably +7/+7 or thereabouts. I'm mostly-serious, but I do have a sense of humor. And I've never gone out of my way to hurt anyone so all damage has been of the 'collateral' variety.
[/quote]

Heh, that's how I'd place you, too, though you are remarkably funny in the water cooler sections.

-----------------

Ok, my brain hurts so the quiz will have to be a group effort.

Here are the questions I came up with, if others throw in theirs I'll compile them later and add a point system. Perhaps we can create a question library to be used if others want to style their own kinds of graphs...?

Q: How do you feel about unaligned nations?

A. They are ripe for the picking, the unsuspecting fools. Even better if they cry to me about it.

B. A good war will teach them to be better prepared.

C. Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!

D. They are unguided and could probably use some advice.

E. A person shouldn't be forced to pick an alliance if they don't want. They need to be defended from the ravages of raiding scum!

-

Q: A person on the IRC has, in the heat of an argument, massacred the standards of spelling and grammar. Not that their use of it was very great to begin with.

A. Disdain this rather pathetic grasp of language. People should educate themselves if they want to be taken seriously.

B. Don't care, not everyone is a Shakespeare.

C. Get a screenshot and devise a hilarious context to place it in and then post it on the OWF.

-

Q: An alliance you like but is on the "other side" of the treaty web loses a high level treaty with one of their closest allies.

A. Post a response detailing your sympathy for their plight.

B. Give them a good ribbing over their choice of friends.

C. Begin examining both parties and write up a gov. proposal on how to further isolate the alliance you like and also court the ex-ally.

-

Q: A friend confides in you that they are a spy for another alliance.

A. Blackmail them for tech.

B. Drop an anonymous note at the forum of the alliance they are really from that their cover has been blown so that they will order them back.

C. Laugh and inform them that you are a spy too and begin conspiring together.

D. It's a perfect CB. Time to roll tanks.

Edited by Kzoppistan

[quote name='Sigrun Vapneir' timestamp='1281919548' post='2417221']
Not a bad idea, but "altruistic" is not the opposite of malevolent (and is a false concept to begin with but that's beside the point.)

The word you were looking for would be 'benevolent'.
[/quote]

How dare you! You make sound like I was just picking random antonyms that sounded fancy from an online thesaurus or something![sup][size="1"]1[/size][/sup]

Despite a little creative license, I think the two terms accurately portray the difference between selfish malice and the want to help those around us, at least in a general sense. "Good" and "Evil" was just too bland. Benevolent rhymes too much to be used.

Interesting view about altruism, though. +2 to you on the Srs Bsns scale.

[sup][size="1"]*1[/size][/sup][size="1"]I was[/size].

Edited by Kzoppistan

[quote name='Kzoppistan' timestamp='1281922984' post='2417286']
How dare you! You make sound like I was just picking random antonyms that sounded fancy from an online thesaurus or something![sup][size="1"]1[/size][/sup]

Despite a little creative license, I think the two terms accurately portray the difference between selfish malice and the want to help those around us, at least in a general sense. "Good" and "Evil" was just too bland. Benevolent rhymes too much to be used.

Interesting view about altruism, though. +2 to you on the Srs Bsns scale.
[sup][size="1"]*1[/size][/sup][size="1"]I was[/size].
[/quote]

Malevolence implies a wish to do evil, not to be selfish. The correct antonym for Altruism is Egoism.

Perhaps you should have chose either malevolence/benevolence if you meant a measure of evilness, and egoism/altruism if you meant a measure of selfishness. The two are not interchangeable. :P

[quote name='Floatsam' timestamp='1281923407' post='2417295']
Malevolence implies a wish to do evil, not to be selfish.
[/quote]

What about malice?

Anyway, I'm afraid I can see no distinction between the two.

Damn you people and your... words... and stuff. Alright, fine, at risk of being less 'lols', allow me to formalize my rebuttal in the form of this lengthy wikipedia article that, thankfully, some one else has already written for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism

*When your done reading it, come back, summarize it for me, and then explain to the world how I'm right.

Then we'll see who's gooder at words.

Edited by Kzoppistan

The Black Knight: y +10, x -10. Look out, dude! This guy will !@#$@#$ murder every member of your entire family if you cross him. He does not joke. At the height of power, they are the intriguers and backstabbers, often citing some over-intellectualize doctrine of bullcrap. The weakest of them, while evil, are nothing more than barking dogs.

or

The Troll (can I say that here?): y -10, x -10. Dun Dun DUN. You know 'em, you hate 'em. Their whole purpose in life is to bring you misery in the most humorous way possible. They disregard any use of logic and mock any attempts to explain a situation in an evenhanded manner. The counterpart to the White Knight, put those two in the same room and watch out for the explosion.

Edited by Bilrow

I try to balance Srs Bsns with the Lulz, so I'd plot myself at x=0. I'm not going to judge my own altruism, but I don't really hate anyone in the game short of a couple of people and don't have any overall wishes for harm for anyone, so why not plot myself at y=3 or something.

[quote]Like this idea...if you get really into this, you should add a quiz that goes with it.

[IMG]http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg414/salovskyj/Chartcopy.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
I fail, I failed hard. I'm in the same spot, opposite of the vertical axis. I tech raid and go all WARRAGG on people, so I'm more mean than nice I suppose :D

[img]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab201/Poyples/Graph.jpg[/img]

Looks about right to me, 3,-7. I like tech raiding, I enjoy the war side of the game, I've held grudges for ridiculously long just waiting for a chance for revenge, whether it be during a war I'm in against their alliance or when I eventually go rogue. Someone has been on my 'list' for 797 days now. I'm rarely selfless for no reason, I've never bought tech at anything less than the best rate I can find to help new nations out, I can't think of anything nice I've ever done for anyone ^_^

3 might be a bit high, I enjoy lulz and such, but I'd consider myself slightly more serious business. Maybe a 2 is a better fit. It's around there. If I had a bigger circle like others it would probably cover 1-3 on that scale and 7-8 on the other but it's too late to be bothered changing my picture now.

GATO- boring, really makes me wonder why I came back after that experience. DELETED
Sparta- Has a bad rep these days but back then it was a full of energy and potential, I later became disillusioned with the leaderships policy of pixels first. DELETED
PPF- for 20 glorious days I flew this AA before getting deleted.
NNK- Who cares how much my citizens have to suffer so I can have 50 CM's and a full navy before I build churches and banks.

[img]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/8618/chartcopy2.jpg[/img]

Edited by FlakeSe

I plotted all the points that seemed appropriate (since the further/closer to the weekend and srs drinking things ... ummm ... change ), and then connected them.
[IMG]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9678/k83ho62k.jpg[/IMG]

EEjack

I've definitely changed.

[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/wbdh6v.jpg[/img]

I joined Polar and was as the graph shows. I really thought that the AoA was the 'good guys' and CoaLUEtion were the 'bad guys'. After a bit I realized I didn't really belong in Polar and went to >_< instead. I was still pretending to be outraged by LUE and /b/ but definitely farted around more. When I left after GW3 and joined GOONS, I became disillusioned with CN and wanted to kill everything asap. After leaving GOONS, I tempered myself a fair bit but I still wanted to break CN just in a more subtle fashion. Returning to CN in late 2008 to Vox, I had a much more positive outlook and engaged in lots of wordy serious !@#$ but also got myself into trouble a fair bit (hi bigwoody). Now that I'm in \m/, I've shifted more towards the north end of the graph simply because somebody in \m/ has to take things somewhat seriously and I've sort of grown disillusioned with CN again. I feel very similar to how I did right before WUT's breakup but with a good deal more maturity and experience so that I do not revert to 'lulzy' !@#$. So there you have it.

If we're calling the extreme positive X 'altruism', as in going out to do good things, I'd be X=0. If it's just benevolence, living in peace, I'm more of a 9.

Y = 1. I think I'm a bit more serious-minded than not, but I let a joke slip through every so often.

Meanwhile, some more extreme points for you:

X = 0, Y = 10: Rules Lawyer Extreme. The letter of the law is GOD.
X = 0, Y = -10: Randomness. Almost the same as selfishness, but sacrificing it for a cheap laugh. Hard to pin down tho.
X = -10, Y = 0: Power-hungry, or at least mean. No sadistic streak (negative Y) or dark vengeance/honour-blood (positive).
X = 10, Y = 0: Peacemonger. Not interested either way as above, but less likely to nuke you to dust as a first strike.
X = 0, Y = 0: Average non-OWF player. Politics? What's that?