Objective of the War on NSO?

shahenshah

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be a fair bit disappointed if there isn't a beer review in the terms.

Just for the amusement value. It might even get people to complain about how immoral they are.

Edited by Aurion

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1281439902' post='2409505']Also, two posts to mention 'we're not as bad as NPO'? Seriously? Ironic, too, considering RoK are about the only non-Hegemony alliance to actually have imposed a viceroy which seems to be your only argument.
[/quote]

Oh no you don't, Bob. First of all, the Illuminati requested a viceroy. I know, that doesn't make a lot of sense but it was Terry Howard and he was trying to appease the alliances fighting him at the time. Secondly, that wasn't a RoK thing, that was a group decision involving Superfriends [b]and[/b] the CDT.

Why was I chosen and why did I agree then? Again, because Terry Howard [b]requested[/b] me. I was one of the few (along with Cable of FARK at the time) who argued against and fought against the idea of disbanding the Illuminati. I was also one of the few who didn't want harsh reps or crippling terms seeing as the Illuminati had just been rolled.

There are logs if FARK still has them, not that it won't shut up the usual crowd that sits and shouts about how "evil" Ragnarok is. Heh.

Note: That last line was not in reference to you, Bob.

[quote name='Van Hoo III' timestamp='1281458108' post='2409790']
Oh no you don't, Bob. First of all, the Illuminati requested a viceroy. I know, that doesn't make a lot of sense but it was Terry Howard and he was trying to appease the alliances fighting him at the time. Secondly, that wasn't a RoK thing, that was a group decision involving Superfriends [b]and[/b] the CDT.

Why was I chosen and why did I agree then? Again, because Terry Howard [b]requested[/b] me. I was one of the few (along with Cable of FARK at the time) who argued against and fought against the idea of disbanding the Illuminati. I was also one of the few who didn't want harsh reps or crippling terms seeing as the Illuminati had just been rolled.

There are logs if FARK still has them, not that it won't shut up the usual crowd that sits and shouts about how "evil" Ragnarok is. Heh.

Note: That last line was not in reference to you, Bob.
[/quote]
Yeah, I can confirm all this stuff actually, except the reason why Hoo was chosen (which may well be the truth, I just don't have direct knowledge, so can't confirm it).

Illuminati were beyond saving, though. The war cemented what had been true for a long time: they had no alliance structure at all. When we hit them, we just got wave after wave of surrender offer right away.

IIRC we were taking surrenders something like 2 days into the war. It was just ... pathetic.

(I tend to bring up the Hoo-was-a-viceroy business in a different context: Not all viceroys have been the horrifying personas of evil that they are frequently made out to be.)

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1281433174' post='2409428']
The point of the war is to give everyone the opportunity to start their own thread about it, obviously.
[/quote]

I'm absolutely devestated that you posted this before I had a chance to.

So I'll go with objective 2: forcing NSO to disband unless NPO enters the war. Because something something Hegemony something worse than we were something.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1281439902' post='2409505']
Also, two posts to mention 'we're not as bad as NPO'? Seriously? Ironic, too, considering RoK are about the only non-Hegemony alliance to actually have imposed a viceroy which seems to be your only argument.
[/quote]
The viceroy and NPO stuff was brought in by a member of ODN and NPOers reacted as one would expect, I think in all honesty it would be ridiculous to assume that there will be a viceroy. Also IMO if a one side is willing to make amends to the issue than that is punishment enough.

Edited by shahenshah

Not sure what exactly will be the final terms, hard to put something like 'NSO learned their lesson' into terms. One thing that will be in the final terms is this line (or something similar) right on top:

[quote]We, the New Sith Order, hereby surrender to Ragnarok, the Viridian Entente, The Global Order of Darkness, R&R, and TENE, and agree to the following terms:[/quote]

[quote name='Daikos' timestamp='1281461339' post='2409868']
I'm absolutely devestated that you posted this before I had a chance to.

So I'll go with objective 2: forcing NSO to disband unless NPO enters the war. Because something something Hegemony something worse than we were something.
[/quote]

That would be interesting. Blackmail NSO to get NPO into the war.

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1281429807' post='2409370']
Provided NSO's allies don't get involved, I think the reps will be relatively light. This isn't a major war, NSO isn't a large alliance, and Ragnarok and friends won't take much damage from them. They can't really demand enormous reparations anyway, as NSO can't pay them.

I don't expect to see a Viceroy or anything like that either. SF aren't NPO.
[/quote]

How will they not get involved when this is clearly a defensive war for NSO?
This war has the potential to go all over planet bob. Few are safe from the entangled web of treaties.

Edited by Andre27

[quote name='Andre27' timestamp='1281484230' post='2410384']
This war has the potential to go all over planet bob. Few are safe from the entangled web of treaties.
[/quote]
....except that most of them have said they'll be staying out.

[quote name='shahenshah' timestamp='1281431035' post='2409393']
I feel that still remains to be seen, if the war starts to drag on now, then I suspect alot of people will go with the line of 'there was something more to this than just 6m and a rogue situation', generally what you are suggesting.

What if there is peace tomorrow? What if the terms are
- Rogue responsible for 6m,
- NSO responsible for 6m Heft sent
- The apology that everyone takes very seriously.

[/quote]

Literally the only thing this would bring about is Ivan giving us a history lesson 4-6 months down the line on how NSO fought the entirety of SF to a stalemate singlehandedly. For good measure maybe throw in a "that apology didn't mean a surrender" and presto.

As to your original query, I'd say the objective is to teach NSO a lesson in humility.

[quote name='Matthew Conrad' timestamp='1281486211' post='2410434']
As to your original query, I'd say the objective is to teach NSO a lesson in humility.
[/quote]
By making us the center of everyone's attention for an extended period of time? I don't think this was thought through all that well. :P

[quote name='Andre27' timestamp='1281484230' post='2410384']
[/quote]

I may be missing something, but from the way RoK worded their DoW, it seems like they consider themselves to be the injured party, i.e. NSO committed acts of war against them. That would make this a defensive war for RoK & friends, no?

[quote name='Mirreille' timestamp='1281503033' post='2410816']
I may be missing something, but from the way RoK worded their DoW, it seems like they consider themselves to be the injured party, i.e. NSO committed acts of war against them. That would make this a defensive war for RoK & friends, no?
[/quote]
Certain other alliances have made similar arguments. They generally were ridiculed for such reasoning. Hasn't it been generally decided by the winners of the Karma War that you don't get to call something defensive if you're the one declaring war?

To answer Andre's question better, if memory serves the New Sith Order had requested its allies' nonparticipation in hostilities. The reasons are for the Order and its allies to understand, as well as those they wish to illuminate. (Wish I were one of the ones in the know.)

As far as how long the war will go on? Well, some people have shown a rather bloody-minded fixation on getting a surrender out of someone else. How well has history treated them so far? Ragnarok and its current allies may wish to learn from prior examples.

[quote name='Qaianna' timestamp='1281504805' post='2410858']
Certain other alliances have made similar arguments. They generally were ridiculed for such reasoning. Hasn't it been generally decided by the winners of the Karma War that you don't get to call something defensive if you're the one declaring war?

To answer Andre's question better, if memory serves the New Sith Order had requested its allies' nonparticipation in hostilities. The reasons are for the Order and its allies to understand, as well as those they wish to illuminate. (Wish I were one of the ones in the know.)

As far as how long the war will go on? Well, some people have shown a rather bloody-minded fixation on getting a surrender out of someone else. How well has history treated them so far? Ragnarok and its current allies may wish to learn from prior examples.
[/quote]
Post of the thread right here.

[quote name='Matthew Conrad' timestamp='1281486211' post='2410434']
Literally the only thing this would bring about is Ivan giving us a history lesson 4-6 months down the line on how NSO fought the entirety of SF to a stalemate singlehandedly. For good measure maybe throw in a "that apology didn't mean a surrender" and presto.

[/quote]

Humility through humiliation does not works, just like an apology with the gun on your head.

Regarding history lessons, so one man's words hold you to what you should or should not do? its the words you dont agree with, I dont see how you can be concerned about it. Boosting his ego right here lol.

Edited by shahenshah

[quote]Certain other alliances have made similar arguments. They generally were ridiculed for such reasoning. Hasn't it been generally decided by the winners of the Karma War that you don't get to call something defensive if you're the one declaring war?[/quote]
Quite right. RoK is the offended party, they considered the offence grave enough to go to war and they (along with GOD, R&R and VE) started an aggressive war as a result. It's a longstanding precedent that 'he said bad things about/spied on/aided an enemy of me' doesn't mean you're in a defensive war ... in fact such a thing is ridiculous because none of those things puts you in a war [i]at all[/i].

[quote name='Qaianna' timestamp='1281504805' post='2410858']

[/quote]

ahhh but see, the issue is, anything can be done and an enemy can be treated in any manner without really any regards and the enemy just [i]has[/i] to accept it. Why, you may ask, because NPO/co did worse. that is it. or course when pressed to find out what NPO did that was so much worse, we get things like viceroys (basically banned now) and forced disbandments (which i feel you can't honestly force another alliance to disband, it will be the members who decide that fate). though as has been pointed out, in this case RoK has imposed a viceroy and GOD has forced alliances to disband. Other things that get thrown out are flimsy CBs ya know like going to war over $6 million dollars, or declaring war in the middle of negotiations...

well umm... NPO did worse now by.... ummmm... hold on give me a minute something will come to me. Ah yes, the true stand by- attacking smaller alliances for the hell of it *gets memo that NSO is smaller than RoK by itself, way smaller than RoK, VE, GOD, RnR, and TENE...* humph... oh oh i got it, by attacking their allies. yeah bet no one on SG's side has done that.... aiight, aiight no one has lost a war yet claimed otherwise. damn, they got me finally. they are not nearly as bad as NPO because when they lose a war, they don't claim otherwise.

Edited by Dochartaigh