The Freedom of The Seas

Hmmm... No accusations of being an evil Hegemony yet. You're doing good so far!

I just hope you have the logistics and cooradanation to pull all this off.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Guffey' date='05 April 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1270387046' post='2247468']
many of the small unaligned nations are new to the game. The get tons of messages about alliances, don't really know what to do. Suddenly they find themselves being attacked for what they think is no reason. Our goal is to inform them of what is happening to them, the protections of alliances, etc. Its giving a helping hand to new players of the game.
[/quote]
While I do support the right to tech raid, I can only applaud you for your efforts here. Good luck.

[quote name='Guffey' date='04 April 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1270387046' post='2247468']
many of the small unaligned nations are new to the game. The get tons of messages about alliances, don't really know what to do. Suddenly they find themselves being attacked for what they think is no reason. Our goal is to inform them of what is happening to them, the protections of alliances, etc. Its giving a helping hand to new players of the game.
[/quote]
Recruitment messages usually tell people that joining an alliance will give them protection from raiders. When they get enough tech to become a target and get attacked they should be able to put 2 + 2 together. If you dont want the people you tech deal with raiding why not give them a discount and make it conditional that they dont raid during the period of the tech deal. It makes more sense and will be less effort to get new people into an alliance rather than trying to police tech raiding on none nations.

This pact represents a step forward for all the nations of planet Bob opposed to the narrow, sectarian and harmful actions of tech thieves. I hope it meets with the greatest success.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='03 April 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1270356036' post='2247241']
Well...
1. I'm sure quite a few people who's only goal is to incite trouble will be "testing" how far this optional assistance clause goes. .
[/quote]
:ehm:

Rudyard Kipling
Poems
THE YOUNG BRITISH SOLDIER

When the 'arf-made recruity goes out to the East
'E acts like a babe an' 'e drinks like a beast,
An' 'e wonders because 'e is frequent deceased
Ere 'e's fit for to serve as a soldier.
Serve, serve, serve as a soldier,
So-oldier ~OF~ the Queen!

Now all you recruities what's drafted to-day,
You shut up your rag-box an' 'ark to my lay,
An' I'll sing you a soldier as far as I may:
A soldier what's fit for a soldier.
Fit, fit, fit for a soldier . . .

First mind you steer clear o' the grog-sellers' huts,
For they sell you Fixed Bay'nets that rots out your guts --
Ay, drink that 'ud eat the live steel from your butts --
An' it's bad for the young British soldier.
Bad, bad, bad for the soldier . . .

When the cholera comes -- as it will past a doubt --
Keep out of the wet and don't go on the shout,
For the sickness gets in as the liquor dies out,
An' it crumples the young British soldier.
Crum-, crum-, crumples the soldier . . .

But the worst o' your foes is the sun over'ead:
You ~must~ wear your 'elmet for all that is said:
If 'e finds you uncovered 'e'll knock you down dead,
An' you'll die like a fool of a soldier.
Fool, fool, fool of a soldier . . .

If you're cast for fatigue by a sergeant unkind,
Don't grouse like a woman nor crack on nor blind;
Be handy and civil, and then you will find
That it's beer for the young British soldier.
Beer, beer, beer for the soldier . . .

Now, if you must marry, take care she is old --
A troop-sergeant's widow's the nicest I'm told,
For beauty won't help if your rations is cold,
Nor love ain't enough for a soldier.
'Nough, 'nough, 'nough for a soldier . . .

If the wife should go wrong with a comrade, be loath
To shoot when you catch 'em -- you'll swing, on my oath! --
Make 'im take 'er and keep 'er: that's Hell for them both,
An' you're shut o' the curse of a soldier.
Curse, curse, curse of a soldier . . .

When first under fire an' you're wishful to duck,
Don't look nor take 'eed at the man that is struck,
Be thankful you're livin', and trust to your luck
And march to your front like a soldier.
Front, front, front like a soldier . . .

When 'arf of your bullets fly wide in the ditch,
Don't call your Martini a cross-eyed old !@#$%*;
She's human as you are -- you treat her as sich,
An' she'll fight for the young British soldier.
Fight, fight, fight for the soldier . . .

When shakin' their bustles like ladies so fine,
The guns o' the enemy wheel into line,
Shoot low at the limbers an' don't mind the shine,
For noise never startles the soldier.
Start-, start-, startles the soldier . . .

If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.
Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
Go, go, go like a soldier,
So-oldier ~of~ the Queen!

The sheer spank of this jib calls for a ruddy good bonking.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[quote]If you dont want the people you tech deal with raiding why not give them a discount and make it conditional that they dont raid during the period of the tech deal. It makes more sense and will be less effort to get new people into an alliance rather than trying to police tech raiding on none nations. [/quote]
That is actually almost exactly what they're doing, though without the discount – if you want to tech deal with these alliances you can't be raiding.

Re 'you can always join an alliance' – as long as it's big enough and raider approved, otherwise you might get raided anyway!

Congrat's on establishing this, guys.

Also, as several Viridians have already pointed out, two of the signatories in this pact are Protectorates of the Viridian Entente. If you mess with them, you'll have to deal with us.

[quote name='TypoNinja' date='03 April 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1270358410' post='2247284']
I would take issue with this, if they cannot claim the right to help the unaligned, by what right do you claim the ability to raid them?
[/quote]

You're correct. I did phrase my earlier sentiment, about "no one having a right to help the unaligned", wrongly. You do have a "right" to do anything you wish. However, the raider also has the right to say screw you. It'll be interesting (at least to me <_<) to see when the optional assistance clause will be invoked.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='04 April 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1270356036' post='2247241']
3. It's not anyone's right to assist unaligned nations or alliances without protectorate agreements.
[/quote]

Um, what?

EDIT: I didn't notice you addressed this above.

[quote name='Alterego' date='04 April 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1270386259' post='2247462']
I will challenge this as often as I can, off to find a target. Unalligned people are unalligned by choice. Who are you to force your defence of them upon them?
[/quote]

They aren't forcing anything, they are merely offering aid to raid victims. Also, the fact that you're allied to at least one of the signatories and you threaten them is cute.

Edited by DarkEra97

[quote name='Alterego' date='04 April 2010 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1270386259' post='2247462']
I will challenge this as often as I can, off to find a target. Unalligned people are unalligned by choice. Who are you to force your defence of them upon them?
[/quote]
What part of this pact did you hope to challenge?

[img]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1759/neatflagaquaflower.jpg[/img]

As Nations Empowered Against Totalitarianism (NEAT)we are honored to be a part of this agreement. Though we do not know well the alliances which are also involved, this has been something we have been striving to be a part of from the very beginning of our alliance NEAT v1.0.

This will not be the furthest of our endeavors this is just the beginning. Any nations or alliances which view the declaration of wars over money or technology as morally appalling it is never to late to take action and support those who are powerless.

Edited by iamwalrus

[quote name='kriekfreak' date='04 April 2010 - 08:08 AM' timestamp='1270386495' post='2247463']
I hate to agree with Alterego here but if they don't want to be techraided they can always join an alliance.
[/quote]

You mean, if they don't want to be tech raided, they can always join an alliance of the "right" size and with the "right" connections and follow their rules and be subject to their politics, etc.

[quote name='kriekfreak' date='04 April 2010 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1270386495' post='2247463']
I hate to agree with Alterego here but if they don't want to be techraided they can always join an alliance.
[/quote]
That's what everyone who joined the GPA thought, too.

The ability to exercise sovereignty is dependent on freedom from coercive influence. Decisions made at the point of a sword are not true choices, especially when those making such decisions are charged with the protection and wellbeing of others. As with personal liberties, this ends where it comes into conflict with the natural sovereignty of other nations. The argument that one entity has the inherent "right" to trample on the independence of others is plain wrong in a world where anyone values their own security. History has shown quite well what happens when such powers are permitted to continue unchecked.

Political climates change. History never literally repeats itself, people just like to draw comparisons. I'm less than two years a national leader, and I've already seen amazing changes in fortunes between various alliances, often at great personal risk and sacrifice of the leaders who are brave enough to begin the process.

It's 2010. At some point, the majority of citizens of Planet Bob will have to come to the realization that one size alliance (or otherwise) does not meet everyone's needs and then do something constructive to account for that. Being critical is something anyone can accomplish. Working toward solving a problem is far more impressive. I'm very proud to be allied with those who chose working toward solving the issues.

Edited by White Chocolate

[quote name='Doitzel' date='04 April 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1270406272' post='2247673']
That's what everyone who joined the GPA thought, too.

The ability to exercise sovereignty is dependent on freedom from coercive influence. Decisions made at the point of a sword are not true choices, especially when those making such decisions are charged with the protection and wellbeing of others. As with personal liberties, this ends where it comes into conflict with the natural sovereignty of other nations. The argument that one entity has the inherent "right" to trample on the independence of others is plain wrong in a world where anyone values their own security. History has shown quite well what happens when such powers are permitted to continue unchecked.
[/quote]

So then if you don't mind me asking why didn't you include protection for small alliances with no treaties? Alliances like these still get raided. Or am I just mis-assuming un-aligned to mean NONE?

[quote name='Guffey' date='04 April 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1270387046' post='2247468']
[/quote]

If that's all, that's fine. I wish you guys good luck.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='04 April 2010 - 05:40 AM' timestamp='1270356036' post='2247241']

3. It's not anyone's right to assist unaligned nations or alliances without protectorate agreements. I understand that some nations wish to stay unaligned in order to not get mixed up in alliance politics. It's an admirable decision, however, that nation still needs to be able to protect itself (I've seen plenty of unaligned nations being defended by larger alliances in exchange for tech deals). Failing that, well, admin invented peace mode for a reason.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head.
[/quote]

There's always the option to join a neutral alliance such as GPA, TDO, WTF, etc.

[quote name='Londo Mollari' date='04 April 2010 - 06:03 AM' timestamp='1270357397' post='2247267']
Defending small nations from unaligned raiders may actually be a pretty good service to the community. A lot of new players may quit if the first thing that happens to them is if they get raided by some newbie unaligned while they are small.

I'm considerably less enthused about the practice of refusing to engage in financial aid transactions with any raider, but that, too, is your choice as sovereign alliances.

As long as this anti-raiding activity is restricted to very small nations who are unaligned, I think this may actually have a good effect on the community. Good on you guys for trying something new. Do it right, and be smart about it.
[/quote]

I agree with this.

Lastly, ignoring the moral/ethical problems of "raiding" on BOB I wish the best of luck to all signatories involved in this pact. Hopefully it works out.