The Freedom of The Seas

Greetings citizens of Planet Bob, over the last few months, several alliances have examined how we have been dealing with tech raids and victims across the cyberverse. Tech raiding has long been a heated discussion among many different parties. The signatories of this pact have decided that through our previous tech deals with a raiding nation, we were indirectly supporting tech raiding. We have come to realize that for us, this is unacceptable. Some of us have also decided that we should try to help raid victims when possible.

as such, we have come together and created this pact. I am proud to announce the
[QUOTE]
[center][SIZE=7] Freedom of The Seas [/SIZE][/center]

[center][IMG]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/953/rszflags.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[b]Definitions: [/b]
[i]Financial Transaction:[/i]
-Financial aid that is sent to or received from a nation with the intent of engaging in commercial activities

[i]Aggressor[/i]
- The nation that initiates hostilities with a nation requesting the aid of a signatory

[i]Notice of Withdrawal: [/i]
-A signed message from official representatives of an alliance stating an intention to withdraw from the pact.

We the undersigned hereby do decree:

[b]ARTICLE I: Purpose[/b]
*A joint declaration of the belief that tech/land raiding is a violation of national sovereignty, denying victim nations their right to peaceful economic growth, constituting piracy.

[b]ARTICLE II: Conduct[/b]
*A mutual commitment among the treaty alliance parties neither to raid nor to engage in financial transactions with nations that have raided a nation (as seen on the nation's war history screen) after financial aid has been sent or received. If a tech seller raids in the midst of a tech deal, the seller must send the cash back and the signatory alliances must not accept raided tech. If a buyer engages in a tech raid, that tech deal is instantly nullified. This serves as the warning.

[b]ARTICLE III: Raid Victim Assistance[/b]
*An optional agreement to come to the aid of non-aligned nations that are the victims of piracy through an application of optional diplomatic, economic or military force commensurate with the strength of the offending pirate and according to the attackers alliance status or lack thereof.

*If any nation accepts the assistance of a signatory that has decided to implement the provisions of this Article, the alliance in question can grant protection and/or financial aid to that nation if and only if:
A. The nation is not on any ZI,PZI, or EZI list
The nation is in good standing with any previous alliance of which it was a member
B. The nation is not an aggressor in any wars

[i]* Any signatory can implement this article at its discretion.[/i]

[b]ARTICLE IV: Sovereignty[/b]
*A recognition of sovereignty between the signed alliances. If a nation in any of the signed alliances violates any of the previous points they shall be handled at the discretion of the alliance.

[b]ARTICLE V: Withdrawal[/b]
*Failure to properly uphold the rules outlined in Articles I-IV to the best of each signed alliance's ability will be recognized as a formal withdrawal by the other signatory alliances.
*A Notice of Withdrawal is required by any alliance that wishes to formally withdraw from the pact 48 hours before formally withdrawing from the pact.

[b]Signed for Celestial Being:[/b]

WarriorConcept, Veda
kulomascovia, Meister

[b] Signed for Avalon:[/b]

Decreed in the year of our Mods and Holy Admin Kevin, this day March 28, 2010 by

Her Royal Ladyship and Supreme Majesty,
Queen Kandria, Sovereign of all Avalon

Signed for the Prime Minister of Her Majesty's Government:
First Lord of Avalon, Subotai, Lord of Blades of Shadow

Signed for the Foreign Office of Her Majesty's Government:
Foreign Secretary, SyndicatedINC, Lord of Schwertbruder

Signed for the Houses of Avalon by the Home Office:
Lord High Chancellor, David der Grosse, Lord of New Nippon

Signed for the Ministry of Marque and Reprisals of Her Majesty's Government:
Minister of Marque and Reprisals: Guffey, Lord of Arimias

[b]Signed For the Moralist Front:[/b]
Vilien, Speaker
The General Assembly

[b] Signed For The Jedi Order:[/b]

Azural, Jedi Advisor

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/Azural15/MasterCouncil.png[/IMG]

[b] Signed For Nations Empowered Against Totalitarianism:[/b]

The NEAT General Assembly

[b] Signed For the AOD Brigade:[/b]

Kellory - Captain - Brigade Leader
Band20 - High Sage - Vice Brigade Leader
Nagato - Grand Sage - Minister of Internal Affairs
Mirreille - Great Sage - Minister of Foreign Affairs
[/QUOTE]

Some of us feel that it is necessary for us to reach out and help those who have been raided whether it be to help the small micro AA to find a protectorate, to reach out to the unaligned nations who are being raided and inform them of protections inside alliances, to send rebuilding aid to an alliance who was raided, to inform unaligned raiders to peace out with their victims, or whatever else a signatory deems necessary to help the victims out.

Some people question what military force may be used. The only nations that will be attacked are those that are unaligned raiders and those that have been deemed rogue. Any attacks are meant to obtain peace for the raid victim. It's obvious we can't get to them all, but we will try our best and each alliance will contribute what they can if they so choose.

This is not a pact meant to take away anyone else right to raid. Yes you have that right to raid, but we have the right to also help those who have been raided. Any alliance interesting in joining, may do so by contacting one of the signatory alliances.

Avalon is proud to be a signatory of this pact. We have always been against the practice of tech raiding, yet we never desire to force our views upon anyone. This pact gives us the opportunity to uphold our values and ideals, and assist those who are being raided. We are very excited to be working with the other signatory alliances with our mutual views regarding tech raiding. I would also ike to thank David der Grosse, a fellow Lord in Avalon for coming up with the initial idea of Freedom of the Seas.

~ Guffey
Minister of Marque and Reprisal of Avalon

Edited by Guffey

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[center][img]http://i50.tinypic.com/op2oly.png[/img][/center]

Denizens of Planet Bob

As an alliance founded on the ideal of helping the unaligned, Celestial Being is proud to be part of the Freedom of the Seas Pact. We have been working since our creation to fulfill our goals and, while we have been moderately successful, we do appreciate working with others who share our values and believe that our efforts will become more fruitful with their help. We shall strive to uphold the provisions of this treaty and to work with others to fulfill our obligations. We consider this to be a step in the right direction and a step towards the creation and implementation of even greater projects.

Kulomascovia, Meister of Celestial Being

EDIT: An addition:

I forgot to mention this, but alliances that do not tech raid can actually place their alliance information on the Celestial Being forums:
[url="http://z10.invisionfree.com/Celestial_Being/index.php?showtopic=121"]Information on Non-Raiding Alliances[/url]
We direct raided nations to this thread should they choose to join an alliance. No registration required.

Edited by kulomascovia

[quote name='sethb' date='03 April 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1270355576' post='2247232']
How so?
[/quote]

Well...
1. I'm sure quite a few people who's only goal is to incite trouble will be "testing" how far this optional assistance clause goes.
2. I've only heard of three of these alliances (one of which is very small). Maybe it's just me but a document that had the backing of larger and more well known alliances would help.
3. It's not anyone's right to assist unaligned nations or alliances without protectorate agreements. I understand that some nations wish to stay unaligned in order to not get mixed up in alliance politics. It's an admirable decision, however, that nation still needs to be able to protect itself (I've seen plenty of unaligned nations being defended by larger alliances in exchange for tech deals). Failing that, well, admin invented peace mode for a reason.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head.

[quote name='Captain Oliver' date='03 April 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1270355847' post='2247238']

EDIT: So this has no effect on anyone who doesn't tech deal with any of the signatories of this (should I call it) bloc?
[/quote]

It is not a bloc. and as you said, this does not affect anyone who we are not tech dealing with, besides unaligned raid victims who we choose to help out with guidance.

Edited by Guffey

[quote name='Captain Oliver' date='03 April 2010 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1270355847' post='2247238']
Oh no! A bunch of small alliances are now Polaris wannabes! :gag:

EDIT: So this has no effect on anyone who doesn't tech deal with any of the signatories of this (should I call it) bloc?
[/quote]

It is not a bloc. It is a pact. The pact was mainly designed to help the unaligned so they are the ones that will be primarily affected. It will affect others to various degrees but most nations are not going to be affected.

[quote name='kulomascovia' date='03 April 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1270356286' post='2247249']
It will affect others to various degrees but most nations are not going to be affected.
[/quote]

I'd say it would effect unaligned raiders quite a bit.

Defending small nations from unaligned raiders may actually be a pretty good service to the community. A lot of new players may quit if the first thing that happens to them is if they get raided by some newbie unaligned while they are small.

I'm considerably less enthused about the practice of refusing to engage in financial aid transactions with any raider, but that, too, is your choice as sovereign alliances.

As long as this anti-raiding activity is restricted to very small nations who are unaligned, I think this may actually have a good effect on the community. Good on you guys for trying something new. Do it right, and be smart about it.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='03 April 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1270356036' post='2247241']
Well...
1. I'm sure quite a few people who's only goal is to incite trouble will be "testing" how far this optional assistance clause goes.

[/quote]

From my experiences helping the unaligned in Celestial Being, I have not noticed anyone that attempted to "test" our procedures. However, we have anticipated this scenario and, if the worst comes, we'll aid the victim until his raid expires. We will not let the antics of a few troublemakers to derail our overall efforts.

[quote]
2. I've only heard of three of these alliances (one of which is very small). Maybe it's just me but a document that had the backing of larger and more well known alliances would help.
[/quote]

Some of the larger alliances whom we have contacted have said that they are willing to enter into the pact after observing how well it works.
Also, our primary goal is to help the unaligned. While the support of a larger alliance can be useful, it is not absolutely necessary. Celestial Being has been helping the unalinged since its creation. So far, we've made good progress in my opinion.

[quote]
3. It's not anyone's right to assist unaligned nations or alliances without protectorate agreements. I understand that some nations wish to stay unaligned in order to not get mixed up in alliance politics. It's an admirable decision, however, that nation still needs to be able to protect itself (I've seen plenty of unaligned nations being defended by larger alliances in exchange for tech deals). Failing that, well, admin invented peace mode for a reason.

[/quote]

I disagree with your statement that no one has the "right" to help the unaligned. However, we're not assisting anyone without an agreement; do note that in order to receive aid and get protection from us, an unaligned nation does have to agree to a set of rules. Every nation we aid holds these agreements with us.

Edited by kulomascovia

Good luck with this. I respect a number of the alliances signing this including but not limited to Avalon and The Jedi Order.

That said, there is little that will stop raiding alliances.. I still like the cut of your Jib gentlemen! ;)

oo/

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='04 April 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1270356036' post='2247241']

[/quote]

I would take issue with this, if they cannot claim the right to help the unaligned, by what right do you claim the ability to raid them?

[quote name='deathcat' date='04 April 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1270357584' post='2247272']
That said, there is little that will stop raiding alliances.. I still like the cut of your Jib gentlemen! ;)
oo/
[/quote]

I don't see the agreement as being one that is trying to stop raiding alliances. More along the lines of helping nations that were raided understand what happened, the "unwritten rules" of CN and so on.

Note this quote: "This is not a pact meant to take away anyone else right to raid. Yes you have that right to raid, but we have the right to also help those who have been raided"
that is in their explanation.