Doing It Better Than Jack

Lonely

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And isn't accepting logs about another alliance considered spying these days?

The 'accepting information' line has been brought out already, but it's true. Many of Continuum's wars for example were based on information drops – since as we know 'NPO doesn't spy', clearly you don't consider it spying. The precedent of Karma reinforced that, with most of the world firmly rejecting the idea that OV accepting screenshots was spying. So no, finding logs in the Google cache is not spying.

OOC: If keylogging is involved, that's hacking and is illegal in most countries; it goes way beyond CN if that's true. I don't really see how a keylogger would get you an IRC log though.

This is indeed better than Jack Diorno's thread. No misleading title, some political drama with no actual significance. I like it and I want more like this.

Also I quote Lord Akkarin's post from Diorno's thread because I think his link to logs is as important and entertaining as these logs.

Anyway after being inspired by this thread I went looking and found something.

http://!@#$%*.com/m211d9bd9

Regardless of whether its faked, real or intended as a joke its interesting.

*logs snip*

Looks like just more of the same wonderful internal stability within the NPO. I think they are about due for another department vs department conflict.

Especially considering they were grabbed with a Keylogger ;)

OOC: Yeah, that isn't how a keylogger works. Also there is a thing called Google. It is pretty cool. Especially when people post information to pages indexed by Google.

And isn't accepting logs about another alliance considered spying these days? Just asking.

Didn't you hear? Everyone accepts information from other alliances these days.

Well, the NSO does support spying. So there, I said it. I believe I have said it before. The problem with spying is the getting caught. That is what makes most people upset. The idea that alliances spy is common, even if openly supporting it is taboo. I am not sure that this thread constitutes an admission of guilt though.

The Lonely Man is a member of the NSO, he claims to have received this information freely, without actually asking for or seeking it. Unless someone else can prove otherwise I will support my member. I have used less open means to declare full scale wars in the past so a 20 line blurb isn't that traumatizing to me. I have not had the opportunity to speak to all parties involved in this issue and will make final determination on whether any wrongdoing was committed on Monday.

That being said, I would ask that no member of NSO take part in this "discussion" until such time as I have had the opportunity to address it fully.

Well, the NSO does support spying. So there, I said it. I believe I have said it before. The problem with spying is the getting caught. That is what makes most people upset. The idea that alliances spy is common, even if openly supporting it is taboo. I am not sure that this thread constitutes an admission of guilt though.

The Lonely Man is a member of the NSO, he claims to have received this information freely, without actually asking for or seeking it. Unless someone else can prove otherwise I will support my member. I have used less open means to declare full scale wars in the past so a 20 line blurb isn't that traumatizing to me. I have not had the opportunity to speak to all parties involved in this issue and will make final determination on whether any wrongdoing was committed on Monday.

That being said, I would ask that no member of NSO take part in this "discussion" until such time as I have had the opportunity to address it fully.

Just to clarify, your position is that there's nothing morally objectionable to spying, but if you're caught it's an acceptable CB against you?

Yes, I believe I have said that on numerous occasions. Of course, proving that I personally had a hand in any spying would be quite a feat.

What if it was just a regular member? I don't believe TLM was spying in this instance but let's say he was. If you refused to give him up, would you consider that a legitimate CB as well, even if he had spied by his own initiative?

What if it was just a regular member? I don't believe TLM was spying in this instance but let's say he was. If you refused to give him up, would you consider that a legitimate CB as well, even if he had spied by his own initiative?

Yes, if a member gets caught they will have to face the consequences. I do not condone idiocy.

I do believe that if dilber is going to toss around OOC accusations that, truth be told, could possibly hold some serious legal consequences, it would be in his best interest to actually have proof of said "key logging." If not, the unnecessary slandering of another's potentially good name only seeks to tarnish the name of Dilber and the NPO, as he is a high ranking member of said alliance.

If there is no proof, or if you simply "refuse" to show the "proof" you have, an apology would be in order to smooth things out and restore the peace that your accusation has upset.

Especially considering they were grabbed with a Keylogger ;)

OOC: That is one hell of an accusation to go tossing around

I'm not sure why the OP didn't think he would be getting a boot from his alliance for doing this. Oh well, best of luck with that. :huh:

I have no idea why you'd log dump, seeing as you have nothing to gain politically from doing so. That said, a reasonable response from Moldavi.

Until you realize that just because he doesn't directly order people to spy, doesn't mean that NSO doesn't officially have people spying, only that they'll be disowned if caught and fed to the wolves to protect NSO. ;)

That said, the best spies on Planet Bob don't have to resort to crude methods that would place their alliance in a position to be the subject of a declaration of war.

Until you realize that just because he doesn't directly order people to spy, doesn't mean that NSO doesn't officially have people spying, only that they'll be disowned if caught and fed to the wolves to protect NSO. ;)

I'm pretty sure you can replace "NSO" with any other alliance name and you'd still be right.

I doubt a majority of alliances have people officially spying for them. I know some do but to say that most do seems a bit extreme.
*Any* other alliance, no. More than people realize, yep.

Excuse me, any other alliance that admits to spying. We wouldn't want people to think that kind of thing was the norm.

Excuse me, any other alliance that admits to spying. We wouldn't want people to think that kind of thing was the norm.

Call me naive but I don't think it is the norm and portraying it as such will only give people the idea that it is an acceptable means of operating on Planet Bob. It isn't and it shouldn't be. I know alliances do spy but to say that the majority of the world does it leads me to believe that you must hang out with some fairly immoral fellows.

EDIT: Inventing words isn't cool.

Edited by Daikos