Doing It Better Than Jack

Lonely

OOC: To be honest, nobody cares enough about CN to hack your computer to get at CN logs, particularly those as uninteresting as this. I'm sure there is far more interesting material on your screen, bank accounts, email and the like; even within CN, as a NPO IO, there will be a lot better material than this. No way am I going to believe nefarious means were used to get at this without solid proof – and if you get that, please report it to the hacker's local police service.

A keylogger logs keys. Yes, some malware includes a keylogger as well as other screen-scraping software, address book snoopers, and so on. To call such a mixed bag of malice a 'keylogger' is misleading. IRC isn't something that would usually be looked for by such a program, though.

OOC:The screen capturing software is often written into the key logger and is a very useful add on and many people still call it a keylogger. It is still possible that someone could make a keylogger just to get at his files. However I find this highly unlikely and don't for a second believe it was the case. If someone had we would have far better logs floating around

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ooc]

All this speculation is highly entertaining.

After it was realized that part of my logs were coming up in a search, we both entered into a full security check of our machines, and it was determined that they in fact did come from my machine.

Why that part is the only thing that appeared on !@#$%*, I can not fathom.

Yes, I found a keylogger on my system, I also found a lot of other security breaches. whether it was the keylogger itself, or the other comprimised parts of my system I cannot say, as I am not a hacker. I used the term keylogger in an attempt to make it understandable to those who are not computer gurus.

I thank you for posting this conversation, it has made my life so much better. Now I can hang out with people who have lost respect for me and do not fully believe what i say anymore.

If you find more conversation, please feel free to post them, as they will help elevate my comfort level among my friends.

[/ooc]

[ooc]

After it was realized that part of my logs were coming up in a search, we both entered into a full security check of our machines, and it was determined that they in fact did come from my machine.

Yes, I found a keylogger on my system, I also found a lot of other security breaches. whether it was the keylogger itself, or the other comprimised parts of my system I cannot say, as I am not a hacker. I used the term keylogger in an attempt to make it understandable to those who are not computer gurus.

I thank you for posting this conversation, it has made my life so much better. Now I can hang out with people who have lost respect for me and do not fully believe what i say anymore.

If you find more conversation, please feel free to post them, as they will help elevate my comfort level among my friends.

[/ooc]

If it's any consolation, I'd have preferred that this log did not involve you, but rather one of the less pleasant Imperial Officers. However, my conscience is clean. Your kind have done much worse to others over the years. It's about time you learned what this feels like.

[ooc]

[/ooc]

[ooc]

If your system was actually "hacked" then I'm truly sorry that your system was compromised, it sucks that people need to take malicious action against others for whatever reason and as a working in the computer security field I know how troubling and violating it can feel for ones personal information to be taken as a result of system compromises.

[/ooc]

That being said playing the victim card is not going to get you very far here. Your alliance has a long history of taking actions that have caused people to be estranged from their friends and communities.

In Character (IC) - In Character means that the player is speaking as the leader of their nation or some other citizen of the fictional Cyber Nations world. Anything said is spoken from the viewpoint of that character and has no bearing on the player's emotions or feelings in real life. Forums labeled as In-Character within the Open World RP Forum must adhere to this posting style. References to game mechanics, forums, and IRC are permitted but references to "real life" are not. A degree of OOC commentary is permissible so long as it does not make up the majority of your post, and only given that it is labeled with an "OOC:" designation.

If you want to have an OOC conversation take it to an OOC forum. Sticking a pure out-of-character post in "OOC:" tags and dropping it in an IC forum is directly contrary to the purpose and rules of these forums. It needs to end immediately.

Additional reading:

Reminder regarding IC and OOC

Use of OOC Tags

Oh look, one of the first hits is internal Superfriends logs from...today, talking about attacking Frostbite. Edit: or Citadel. Either way they're talking about attacking someone

http://!@#$%*.com/f30f2fd8f

Katsumi, you're out of touch. Those logs are from sometime in October, they've been on !@#$%* a bunch of times now.

Edited by Haflinger

Katsumi, you're out of touch. Those logs are from sometime in October, they've been on !@#$%* a bunch of times now.

Well, excuse me for being out of the secret logs loop, with me not being alliance leadership just like most everyone else reading this. I'll be sure to consult you next time I provide an example of why you shouldn't put information you don't want everyone to see where everyone can see it.

That's true, the link was circulated around all senior memberships throughout CN a while back. But the point's still good, as they were leaked through !@#$%* in the first place.

Oh look, one of the first hits is internal Superfriends logs from...today, talking about attacking Frostbite. Edit: or Citadel. Either way they're talking about attacking someone

http://!@#$%*.com/f30f2fd8f

In case anyone's wondering, that's like, a month old, and has been solved already.

Edited by Penkala

I'm glad some agree with me that Cortath was not the best choice for Emperor and Mary was not the best choice for regent. Also I've found Lucifer to be a pretty nice guy. He helped me out in spurring the NPO to defend my nation from rogue attacks back when GATO was under NPO viceroy.

I really doubt there was any better choice for Emperor.