Krunk's Super Biased Corner, Episode 2

Krunk the Great

Alright, so Here's another few questions for the world at large....

• What drew you to your alliance?
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

• Well, I started off in Meritokrati (OOC: I was recruited into the game to work as gov there), and then we merged into Invicta not long after.
  • Basically, I just stuck around where I've been 'cause it's what I've always known. Works for me just fine.
  • They're not finding what they're looking for, though I don't think some people ever will.
  • African or European?

• The Star Wars Theme, and many great minds from CN like Anthony.
  • Anthony.
  • Because Anthony isn't in their alliance.
  • Who swallows what?

Edited by kevin32891

• Power, fortune, fame. Got here, and all I ended up with was this lame nation. Not even a free t-shirt.
  • Power over a few people... making babies cry... cool people in Stickmen.... not like I would go join someone else in stickmen, either, since the only difference is whose puppet the alliance is. I like all of our puppet masters.
  • They end up with friends in various alliances, and randomly decide they want to see what is going on over yonder. Or, they are addicted to it, like JtG.
  • Zero. If I swallow something, it won't be going through the air. Or so I hope.

EDIT: tagfail

Edited by E Schrodinger

# What drew you to your alliance?

It is from another place The Order of the Paradox recruited her initial membership. I was part of the group that inflated the only three dozen of TOP members to just over 100, a number we roughly held until the Order accepted applicants to all members of this world. I have had earlier experience with this group and joined to try it out.

# Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

I have been member of The Order of the Paradox since July 25th 2006.

While we might not have had the numbers it never seemed to be an issue for the internal well-being. People are active, smart and entertaining in their posting. It is home for me and for those who have decided to join us over the years.

We sometimes joke about being a "revolving door" alliance due to an tendency to re-accept members who left only days prior to do something else. In fact that might be the greatest strength of us. The loss of a member is a grievous loss, because we did lose not some random ruler but a formidable member of the Order, one that will weaken the well-being of TOP itself. If they decide to return it is a great event, often superseding any news this world might provide. This kind of friendship I do believe to be rare and that is why I continue to be part of the greatest alliance to ever grace the cyberverse.

#Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

Knowing what you want on planet Bob is not knowledge found easily. People want to find a place to call home and that journey is often a long one, going through many alliances. As long as you don't burn the bridges behind you, alliance hopping is fully acceptable in my eyes.

#What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Depends on the swallow since there are a few different of them. You also need to account for age and sex of the swallow

What drew you to your alliance?

It was filled with friends I made in \m//>_< and plus its pretty much amazing.

Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

They treat me alright and I've been in three different large alliances. It's overrated.

Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?
They just don't feel like a part of the alliances they join. After a while they find a proper home.
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

$%&@ if I know.

* What drew you to your alliance?

Its reputation for hard fighting and camaraderie.

* Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

Mostly same as above. The people there show a genuine concern for each other.

* Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

Internal drama or they feel that they are a poor "fit" with the personalities that lead the alliance (not necessarily those who hold office). The atmosphere of any alliance is essentially a product of its most active members. Don't get along with those people or don't like how they roll and you'll probably be unhappy. True alliance hoppers are rare and probably have trouble fitting in on Planet Bob in general, not just with specific alliances.

* What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

24 miles an hour

Edited by ChairmanHal

1) GATO was recommended to me, by someone who was already playing.

2) I know the people. I guess that having been in GATO since I started, I'm used to the alliance. When I left for another alliance, I didn't feel as if I really belonged there.

3) Because they don't feel comfortable in that alliance, for whatever reason.

4) African or European?

For the most part I wanted to try something new with a good friend. I had held a government position of one sort or another for the majority of my time in my former alliance {which is awesome} so I didn't really have an opportunity to try something new. After a short period of inactivity, I found that I could be apart of the start of a new alliance which was centered around member activity, and sharing close personal bonds with one another. I rightly believed this would create a lot of ease in coordinating projects, coordinating wars, etc. This has proven to be true in being able to fight larger armies.

Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

I don't think this question works for somebody in one of the larger alliances, however that's not the case for me.

I like the activity, the intelligence of the membership, the eloquence of the membership, the freedom, and the close bonds we share with ourselves and our allies.

You know a lot of very well-liked people would be considered alliance hoppers had you seen their alliance history. It depends on the person and the motives, not the number of alliances they've been in. I've been in... 3 different alliances in over 2 years of CN.

Edited by Blacky

Ideology.

It's been a great experience personally, I enjoy the company of the members that I've brought in, and though we're small, the community is very tightly knit and loyal. There aren't many alliances that have a culture like TMF, so I consider myself blessed.

They just aren't the kind of people who find a home easily. Everyone has a different story, I think labeling someone an "alliance hopper" without taking into account any extenuating circumstances is an unfortunate tendency in the CN community.

African or European?

1. I was hanging out on the offsite forum my alliance is originally from at the time it was created.

2. Do I even need to answer this question?

3. It varies in the specifics but at the core it's because they aren't getting everything they want out of the alliances they've been in.

4. African or etc.

Goose did.

The people

Yes

It depends on whether you are talking about an African or European swallow.

Edited by wickedj

* What drew you to your alliance? CSN was going to war, and my previous alliance was going to sit things out.

* Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? The people are just, well, awesome.

* Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? they are unhappy with something.

* What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? I don't know that!

Edited by Fronz

Being a founder of it probably had something to do with it.

I know more about our members in a smaller group than I would in a larger group. Easier interactions, less feeling of anyone being just a number, etc. Also, being a founder and all, it would be remiss of me to think badly of it.

Boredom is probably the number one reason, or maybe the idea of 'these idiots are just screwing it all up, I can do it better myself'

I must have missed that day in class

1. Has many good friends of mine, granted there are 2-3 alliances that do.

2. I've known quite a few members personally for almost two years now ( I think one is applying to the same college as I am).

3. I had a hard time finding an alliance "just right". There are only two that were "just right" and I wish I could be a member of both.

4. Where did this come from?

Edited by Voodoo Nova

1) After the AE-FINAL war, FINAL was seeking a legit protectorate, Londo and Camelot gave us that. When the noCB war happened, the newly merged alliance of Athens(Camelot plus HotU), were my favorite people on the game. Somehow, a 2/3 vote by the FINAL trium, was no enough to send us to war in defense of our protectors, so most of us resigne FINAL, and fought alongside Athens. Best political move I ever made.

2) We were allowed to be part of building Athens into what it was. Many former FINAL have served at various times in GOV positions. We feel as though we have had a hand in making this alliance what it is. What makes it better? Forged in fire. There is not a tighter group on all of Bob. That is a fact.

3) People hop alliances because loyalty on Bob is fleeting.

4) Significantly slower than the top running speed of a Llama, I can assure you of that.

1. I got recruited from offsite by someone in this alliance.

2. I like the people. That's pretty much the key thing I'm looking for in an alliance, really.

3. Because they're still looking for what they want out of the game, be that power or the right community or whatever.

4. 63 km/hour.

What drew you to your alliance?The personal relationships I have with those in SSX, also the decidedly different nature of SSX politics.

Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?Again, the personal relationships, they drew me back to SSX, from a much larger alliance. Also, the chance to play a larger role in the decisions and politics.

Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?Being one of the most prominent Alliance-Hoppers, at least of those I know of <_< I suppose it's that I'm looking for something in an alliance. And I am not willing to compromise, I will find it. And finally, I believe I have.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?Somebody's Mother. Can't say whose.

Edited by MiasmaCircle

A friend in my BF2 clan recommended not only CN but also to join GATO.

I have been in GATO for almost 3 years and have never left. I feel that I fit with GATO and have not had the desire to leave. GATO is a community and I have made some good friends there.

Some like the change of scenery, some feel as if they can't make a change then they will, or some just can't stay still in one place for long.

http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

I followed Mila to CSN, after much prodding by her to actually get them to let me in. Her and KaitlinK really made my time in MA fun and enjoyable, and once they both left there really wasn't much reason for me to stay, and if I were going to go to another alliance, it was going to be one that either of them were in. There was a specific reason I didn't apply to RoK, which had to do with who one of their allies were, so that left CSN.

- Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

After a time, it really doesn't matter what alliance you're in, but who's in the alliance with you. The direction/structure of the alliance has little to do with why you stay or leave, I've found, so long as you're surrounded by people you like and people you can have fun with.

- Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

Boredom. If you have no connection to the people in your alliance, eventually you're going to want to leave, that's my case. I got the whole "running your own alliance" bug out of my system awhile ago, so I'm never again going to try and get into a government position in any alliance, so it's all about being entertained, enjoying the company of those around me, and if I ever find that I'm not enjoying it, then I'll leave. Though sometimes people alliance hop for power, sometimes they're forced to, but for me, it's always been about finding the right fit.

• What drew you to your alliance? It's where Seerow, Tamerlane, and most of the rest of the jrcom exodus headed after Anthony's expulsion. That was pretty much it.
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? MK has a great, diverse community; a VERY active membership; knowledgeable, experienced players (reflected politically, militarily, financially, and internally); and a pretty rich history.
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? Boredom, not finding what they're looking for, and any other number of personal reasons.
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? According to WikiAnswers:
    "It depends on whether you are talking about an African or European swallow.
    The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour*, beating its wings 7-9 times per second (rather than 43). But please note that a 5 ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut.
    *Based upon published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study gives an estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or miles an hour."

• What drew you to your alliance? The Imperial Order (my previous alliance) was disbanded by myself, so I had to find a new alliance. My decision was between tF, NpO and STA, our closest allies and friends. tF was out of the running due to the fact I didn't want to build/help build up another small alliance. I wanted to go back to a large/moderate alliance. STA was on white, where I was at the time, and wasn't as huge as NpO. It was a hard decision between these two awesome alliances, but either way, I'd be in an alliance close to the other.
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? STA is a great alliance, I've been in alliancese that started small and built up for about a year and a half now. I liked them because of their size, you usually knew everyone. STA is big, but not massive, meaning you can't really get lost, like I did in NPO, and for a bit, CON.
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? They are too hard to please, they have expectations far higher than what even the "best" alliance(s) have. Probably impatient also. I define an alliance hopper who has an average time in an alliance less than a month-two months throughout their alliances.
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? What kind of Swallow, be more specific

* What drew you to your alliance? I technically don't have an alliance (I should probably talk to AirMe about finishing off my debt...) but I liked Ronin's theme and the people

* Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? Again, don't have one technically. Would have stayed if I took the game seriously and wanted to actually work in it. But they were cool, fun, and let me wander the forums freely so that was nice.

* Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? They're looking for some place that fits...or their dicks and nobody likes them.

* What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? African or European swallow?

I'd wanted to try something different for a little while, so when I was free of governmental shackles in my old alliance I decided to start looking around. Queried Hoo on IRC to find out more about the alliance he was starting and found out it was based on all the things I wanted in an alliance, mostly high activity, and had a lot of people joining that I got on with.

I love the activity levels. There's only 40 people in the alliance but there's always meaningful discussions going on. I really get on well with pretty much every member, the only other people I get on as well with are people I knew before we came to the Cyberverse. Important alliance discussions get opened up to the general membership meaning that even before I was in government I felt like I could influence the alliance and keep it going in the direction I was enjoying already. We've also got pretty badass allies and for the most part I agree with their political position and opinions which always helps.

I don't see the big deal in what some people would consider alliance hopping. I've been in 4 alliances in my time here, but with legitimate reasons for leaving each one, except the last obviously. Anyway I've only ever encountered two people on the Cyberverse I'd call an alliance hopper and mean it in a derogatory way. Kobiashy, and someone who I barely remember the name of King Death or something. Either way, changing alliances is cool, changing alliances because you can and doing it once a month or something is stupid. Whatever, each to their own. All it's going to do is make alliances less likely to take the risk and accept them, meaning all they do is cut down the chances of them finding somewhere they really enjoy.

Edited by Poyplemonkeys