Krunk's Super Biased Corner, Episode 2

Krunk the Great

What drew you to your alliance?

I was searching for a new home and already knew many people in there.

Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

It's the largest anyway, but the community probably makes it better than other alliances. Just a cool bunch of guys to hang out with.

Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

Because they cant appreciate the good sides of an alliance and only look at the bad sides of theirs. Of course there are also valid excuses to "hop" alliances.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

10 m/s² if its dead.

I'm not really in one at the moment, but I'll answer in regards to Zenith, since they were my last alliance. I was in the process of doing a project where I would essentially alliance hop every couple of weeks and learn about as many different alliances as possible (I would let the alliance leaders know of my plans to avoid any issues), and on my second alliance I landed at Zenith. I chose Zenith because I had heard good things about the alliance (DK mostly, other people saying they were a decent alliance on the OWF). I ended up staying with Zenith because I was incredibly impressed with their depth of knowledge, genuine interest in the game, great positive attitude that also encouraged "making ourselves better," and having a great sense of organization. On top of that, most of the ministers really knew what they were doing (especially the Finance Minister, Vicente), so the overall leadership really impressed me.

Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

I've never really been in a "large" alliance, as the largest alliance I've ever been in was roughly 150 members or so. I think I'm attracted to smaller alliances because I like the feeling of a small, tight-nit community, especially when you're in a more experienced alliance.

Boredom, and the feeling that their original alliance wasn't right for them. Depends on the person, I would say, and it would be difficult to make a blanket statement regarding the issue.

24 Miles per hour. European.

10 m/s² if its dead.

Err.... /s² is an acceleration, not a speed.

Edited by Ferrous

Needed a place to sort some things out in my head and Pansy offered to let me sit here for a while to do it.

Valhalla was unique to me its everything I wanted my old alliance to be. Tight community that would stand up for its own and wasnt afraid to get its hands dirty when needed.

Some just get bored and need a change of scenery others are just looking for that right fit.

3 squirts or so.

1. What drew you to your alliance?

When I first started playing CN, I received a slew of recruitment messages. I actually read each one until I found one that I thought looked good. TFD's recruitment message was very professional, and the things it offered (including the highest Starter Aid of all the alliances) was extremely enticing. The decision wasn't hard for me. :)

2. Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

The community. Even among the alliances I've been diplomat to and remain in contact with, TFD's community is absolutely unmatched. It's a group of friends who are all in it together, who will do anything for each other. We don't really experience any dramaz, as the overall tone of the alliance is very stable. It's all pretty 'lax, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. :)

3. Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

Well, I am assuming my "hop," you mean "switch." An alliance hopper and somebody who just switches alliances are two totally different people. I'll talk about the second, since that's what I think that's what you're getting at. People change alliances for a couple of reasons. Sometimes they just want to get out and explore. This usually ends up with the person returning to his/her home alliance, unless they really found another alliance that is absolutely outstanding during their adventures. Another reason is because they just aren't satisfied. Maybe the community just doesn't quite fit, or they don't see themselves going anywhere in the alliance. The person would then go and search for an alliance that they will fit better in. Sometimes they find what they are looking for in the first try, and sometimes they have to try a bunch of alliances before they find a real home. Sometimes these people get mislabeled as "alliance hoppers," when they are really just in the "searching" stage. The last reason people leave alliances is because they feel like they need to. Whether there are general internal dramaz, being recruited from other alliances, leaving to help another alliance at war (or to go against a certain alliance), or just because the person wants to get away from another person, this reason is basically the person feeling pushed away from their alliance, so they leave.

4. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I refuse to do your homework for you. Go look it up yourself. <_<

The recruitment vid was pretty damn good. And I'm not saying that cause this is the "biased" thread - http://www.avelegio.net/membership/

The people in the Legion are great. They're friendly, fun, and a ton of help when it comes to building a nation in CN.

From what I've seen the biggest lure is to play a larger role in new or smaller alliances. Why be a squad leader in a huge alliance when they could be a General in a small one?

Don't know. I'm a cheapskate and I bought my radar gun at Big Lots. Needless to say it doesn't have an unladen swallow setting just a laden swallow one.

Alright, so Here's another few questions for the world at large....

• What drew you to your alliance? Destiny
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? My parole officer said no to the transfer. Sometimes they act like they listen to me. It's a comforting illusion.
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? Loose morals
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? What's it worth to ya?

Edited by Kzoppistan

Best recruitment message (i.e. message content and alliance principles)

They are not national micromanagers.

12 gallons

Edited by Sterling Shmigadoo

• 2 weeks later...

I Joined them on the moon, got on well, made the switch here too.

Teamwork, community, vision and activity.

Because they don't find what they are looking for in each alliance.

An early XKCD puts it best:

monty_python.jpg

*What drew you to your alliance?

I joined the Imperial Blue Covenant back in March 2007 because they were the only blue team alliance that tried to recruit me with a non-mass PM. I was just coming off a re-roll after roguing the NAAC recruiter who had been sending me a stock message for about 50 days straight. I think it was MarkingNationX or something like that? They didn't offer anything special or make any promises, but I had figured out that I needed an alliance, so I joined the first one that actually seemed to want me. I ended up in GOD when President Smith proposed a merger with DLP. The merger itself was overly complicated, but the people involved were right. The IBC was failing anyways. You didn't need to be a genius to know that a 50-man alliance with an ANS of 4k was going nowhere fast. Our stongest nation was 11k, and we were getting most of our growth from selling off tech we'd raided. It's still one of the reasons I don't much care for the NpO. When we were a protectorate of theirs, the only time we got any help was when another 50 man alliance threatened to attack us because a rogue ghosted us. They gave us 15 million in aid for the entire alliance once, and expected us to kiss their feet for it. If some of you have long enough memories, you might remember that travesty of a forum topic, though I really doubt it. Our involvement in Blue Unity efforts was a joke. So, we merged with to form GOD, an alliance with friends outside of the Polar sphere of influence, and got on with it.

*Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

Woo lordy. I've been tempted to find another place every so often, but I keep staying because GOD is the only alliance that I've helped shape. There's been a number of people that have put a mark on GOD, and I'm not afraid to shun modesty and say that I think I've had a chance to contribute more than many others. Cornelius is an awesome guy, and I use him as an example because I know he'll understand, but he was always a foreigner in GOD. He's a fantastic leader and a great guy, but his heart belonged to VE. He never took a very active role in GOD (from my memory at least) and was more of a friend from out of town who was staying with us for a while. I've never wanted to be one of those people who joined an alliance that wasn't home and tried to make it work. If I thought I had a chance to get in on an alliance that needed some IA, I might try it out for a while, but it'd never be home that way GOD is.

*Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

IMO, some people play CN like they were writing a story. They know who the characters are, and they know the setting, but they need exciting new materials for their tale. If I felt that I was in need of something exciting in CN, I'd hop ship for a little while too. I've always wondered what being just a name in a big alliance would be like. I dunno, maybe they need new friends. Maybe they need to get away from that nutbar who answers simple questions with dumb analogies.

*What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Whatever Xiph tells me it is.

Edited by Aloop

[OOCish]

[*]What drew you to your alliance?

My college roommate told me to join.

[*]Why have you stayed in your alliance,

Because it's my alliance. You don't leave your alliance. I view it kind of like citizenship. If you don't like something, you work to improve it. You don't go find a better deal somewhere. Better or worse, it's my alliance. That's how I see it.

[*] what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?

The people and the relationships. [/generic]

[*]Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?

Because they think they'll have more fun somewhere else, and they don't agree with my view of what an alliance is. They think they gain something by getting more perspectives. I think they lose something for having none of their own.

[*]What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?

holy-grail.png

Ahhhhhh

Anyone who didn't get the allusion in this question should be ashamed.

I was drawn to the New Pacific Order to retire from active leadership and for the friendships I had there. Not sure what happened there in regards to staying retired. :grumble:

The community and camaraderie.

People "hop" alliances for number of reasons spanning from not quite a fit for them, too large, too small, not enough movement, wanting to be in charge and bored.

As fast as Pico chasing a squirrel.

Pico vvvv

lolpico.png

Edited by Bilrow

• What drew you to your alliance? ScoobyDooby-Doo asked me to join ODN after a year of retirement.
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? The people in the alliance make it seem undesirable to leave.
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? Because they don't fit in or didn't find what they wanted.
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? I don't know----AHHHHHHHH!!!!

People "hop" alliances for number of reasons spanning from not quite a fit for them, too large, too small, not enough movement, wanting to be in charge and bored.

This is the only answer that really makes sense to me, and doesn't seem like it's pushing a particular attitude on everyone else.

Ironic, coming from someone I get along with SO WELL.

Okay, this is actually a long story. TOOL was my first-ever ambassadorial assignment (from CCC), and I must have won them over, because when I first quit the game back in September of 2008, the active TOOLies literally begged me to come back into the game. :P So I promised that I would when I finally decided to make a comeback, before anyone else even tried to recruit me. And I like to honor my word. :P

So, despite offers from numerous alliances, including CCC and their Polar allies (still :wub: you guys btw), I joined TOOL. They have a pretty tight community amongst the active members.

Why I've stayed also has to do with honoring my word, and I've always been a sucker for being committed. Had I not quit the first time I'd've probably stayed in CCC, and if [OOC]this game[/OOC] allowed dual citizenship, I'd be in both alliances. I love TOOL and I love the CCC. Both have the type of community that even an Aspie (note: this is both IC and OOC :P) like me can fit into just fine. I have been able to be part of a team without really having any issues with anyone's personality. I had that in CCC as well.

The reasons will actually vary. Most people are just looking for a place to call home but are never 100% satistfied. Some people will do what we called "cutting and running" in the CCC, where they join, stay long enough to get some sort of financial help, then bail. And some people will get into trouble no matter where they go. :P

Varies from person to person. :P

I got blown up in the karma war and I went to an alliance that would take me in, now I am having an awesome time and I am bigger and better that I have ever been before.

Because they are really nice people and they are good at what they do. And I fit in to polaris now.

No idea, I tend to not 'hop' unless circumstances force me to move.

I Dunno. But I know they cant carry coconuts.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

So many of these Facebook style questionnaires to fill out of late!

• What drew you to your alliance? I joined in July '08 and joined out of the need for a change of scenery. I was really getting bored of CN and on the verge of quitting in the 3-4 months prior to that. Turns out I should've stayed. I was in an ex-MK protectorate and C&G founder member alliance, Deck of Cards, which I helped found, and I really saw no other option as to where to go other than MK. So, I just hopped over the fence. MK was supposed to be my retirement home. :mellow:
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance? Its activity, its ability to take things seriously when it needs to, the hilarious boards and IRC channels, its competent leadership, its knowledge of the game (not just trashing labour camps, but the politics, too) and its astonishing diversity (I know we're LUE 2.8 and everything, but I think at last count we had more ex-\m/ than anything, and we had a grand total of roughly...10). I reckon a lot of the members would agree that it's a tricky place to leave, when they consider the number of people who join MK, leave MK, join MK...even two of our current high government have dared to dirty themselves with such skullduggery. :P
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances? Because they think there might be something better out there.
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? I don't know.

• What drew you to your alliance?
  • Why have you stayed in your alliance, what makes it better (in your mind) than maybe a larger alliance?
  • Why, in your opinion, do people "hop" alliances?
  • What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

1, I was either going to be kicked from DE because I stood up against Coolgreen's disastrous leadershop on many occasions, or I could leave before then, I chose the latter, because it would just be quicker. I chose DT because I knew Myworld from my BDC days when he was our viceroy from NpO, where he really showed how good of a leader he could be, and because DT fit my style, smaller, but powerful, and staying out of drama, all of which DE was not.

2, There is little to no drama internally, and we stay out of drama externally. We are powerful, yet small. And we are tightly knit. There are no secrets, there are no grudges, it is us as a team of nations growing in our little dark corner of Bob.

3, They do not settle down, they do not fit in with the crowd, they usually are trouble makers.

4, Why has anyone not figured this out (without using wiki)? The answer clearly has two sides, African or European?

Edited by Fort Pitt