Christmas and War May Not Mix

kingzog

Ceasefires/truces typically aren't such a great idea on a wider scope, but if your opponents agree in your individual wars, it's whatever. If enough people wished to  not fight on a holiday, it would make more sense for that to be a suggestion of some kind in terms of pausing wars mechanically rather than taking a day off a war, which is only 7 days long. The real life parallels don't really enter into the equation when a Christmas Truce in real life only takes one day out of  years long wars while in Cybernations, it removes 1 out of 7 days in a war cycle.

edit: It also would satisfy the desires of the majority, while mitigating the imposition on those who are not culturally or religiously Christian.

Edited by Monster

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It holds true, regardless of day and date, that if you do not have time or will to log on to CN you do not. Be it war or peace.

Those that cant bother with CN on Christmas or New Year will not. I fail to see the need for a 'spectacle' about it. So if you war like minded people in that regard truce will come naturally and regardless. If you do not, it will not come regardless.

Those that cant bother, usually also don't bother to make threads about it. Those that make threads about it, usually are active and invested enough that they will check on CN regardless.

I am happy you will have a desired Christmas Zog. I believe that is the true reason behind this thread. Personally, I made 'the cut' years ago. Life is too short to be spend with people you do not want to bother with. My Christmases are only for people I care for. And they are great as a result. :)

Edited by Branimir

Is it really that big of a deal to send your attacks while taking a shit on christmas day? 

Also, Christmas Truces IRL stopped happening when war got ugly, when they happened in WWI, it was the first year and the majority of the fighting had not happened yet and gas attacks were not yet used. I see your all as sub-human freakbeasts, I AM THE WATCHER ON THE WALL AGAINST SOCIETY. 

A couple years ago, someone asked for a 1 day truce so they could spend Mother's Day with their mom and not need to log in for anything. If someone were to ask for a day to spend time with their family rather than be here, I'd give it to them.

I think many people here have problems with their extended family because things are so bourgeoisified, different sections of the familia divided by issues about inheritances or income. I know this because these issues have weakened my own extended family. Families should be like large clans though, and its a shame when money comes between blood.

I'm wishing now that I hadn't gone into a pm today because it means I can't come out until the 28th. It'd have been nice to to a blitz either side of update on Christmas day. This is a game and Christmas is a time for playing games.

:ehm:

I'm so happy I'm spending Christmas in PM. Wish I'd thought of it sooner.

Why does everyone seem to have awkward interactions with their families during the holidays, particularly the extended versions? I honestly look forward to the instances I get to see them and tend to think I have quality time spent. Sure I have my issues with certain people and no one is perfect but I've never understood why people dread visiting their families. Maybe I'm just lucky :P

Anyways I'm rambling, Christmas truces are a genuinely good idea.

Great post. I can't wait to see my extended family.

Imo, war in this game is what gets people together, across alliances. Sure, there are those that take things to literally and get nasty. The majority I believe, enjoys war and don't get a bad feeling about it. It's just fun aspect of the game. Hence, a christmas truce in game would miss its point. Perhaps it has a symbolical point, but it would be meaningless because all one would need to do is do nothing.

If you want a truce on christmas, then do it where the "real" wars are being fought. Here on the OWF. You want to give a meaning to a truce, then make it a day when people treat each other with respect on the OWF. Thát would cost an effort for a number of people. And if you put an effort into it, then it may have a meaning.

If my opponent asks for a one day truce he'll get one but judging by his 8 to 9 million casualties I'll doubt he'll ask for one so it's bombs away.  I'll not ask.

Screw it.  I'm having a Christmas Truce.  Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by masterbake

If you want a truce on christmas, then do it where the "real" wars are being fought. Here on the OWF. You want to give a meaning to a truce, then make it a day when people treat each other with respect on the OWF. Thát would cost an effort for a number of people. And if you put an effort into it, then it may have a meaning.

I'm not going to take so much as thirty seconds out of my day to visit the OWF, but I definitely see your point. (Worry not. No doubt some will disagree with your sensible suggestion as well.)

Some of the comments here seem to imply some kind of judgment one way or the other, which really wasn't the point of my post at all. You don't want to take Christmas off? Then don't. I don't particularly care.

What I do know is that one of my opponents is spending Christmas day with his in-laws, while I'm having company on Christmas Eve and visiting some of the family I actually like on Boxing Day. So my opponents and I (along with the DS guy fighting alongside me against one nation) have worked out a deal. Most of us could be online at some point during this time, but we choose to give each other a break for the holiday.

You think it's a good idea? Wonderful. You think it's terrible? That's fine, too. But don't puff out your chest and be some kind of "Internet warmonger." Save that for the IC areas; here it just looks silly.

And with that, a Merry Christmas to all. My posting vacation begins riiiiiiiight about....now.

burning-of-seven.jpg

On the beaches of the Kingdom of Pakalolo, lulzists captured in war are being burned alive to celebrate Christmas as well as in sacrifice to call upon the Original Spirit of Ivan Moldavi, who began the first great Lulzicide during the war against the Unjust Path.

Can I eat them? My fellow Pacificans understand my stance on cannibalism. Besides.. if they got captured.. they definitely need to be eaten.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

burning-of-seven.jpg

On the beaches of the Kingdom of Pakalolo, lulzists captured in war are being burned alive to celebrate Christmas as well as in sacrifice to call upon the Original Spirit of Ivan Moldavi, who began the first great Lulzicide during the war against the Unjust Path.

This is an OOC forum.

Also, Sponge spearheaded the Unjust War.

Edited by Starfox101