A Mjolnir Announcement

Rampage3

[quote name='Kevin McDonald' timestamp='1325918207' post='2894596']
Toeing, as in keep your toe behind the line and don't cross it.
[/quote]
Ah, I see. I like that too. I always viewed it (not saying I'm right) as towing, as in dragging the 'proverbial' party line. Keeping ones toe behind the line makes sense as well.

:)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mmansfield68' timestamp='1325918440' post='2894598']
Ah, I see. I like that too. I always viewed it (not saying I'm right) as towing, as in dragging the 'proverbial' party line. Keeping ones toe behind the line makes sense as well.

:)
[/quote]

I once read the origin, but forgot it all save for that brief description I offered.

OOC: As with all "origins" of phrases, this could be just one of many. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1325918345' post='2894597']
And yet, do you see GOD complaining?

No, you don't, because you're not privy to their relationship. Neither am I of course, but if GOD feels VE has acted appropriately, there is no problem. If anything, you should be offended at how RoK interpreted their FARK treaty by directly attacking their allies.
[/quote]

I spent months hearing from Xiphosis and GOD how awful and unreasonable FARK's membership was for blocking VE from being in SuperFriends. I'm experiencing some "I told you so" schadenfreude; sue me. I really don't care what GOD thinks about them. As for RoK, I have underwear stains that are more appealing than what RoK has become; I felt that way before the war started.

[quote name='Kevin McDonald' timestamp='1325918928' post='2894605']
I once read the origin, but forgot it all save for that brief description I offered.

OOC: As with all "origins" of phrases, this could be just one of many. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line
[/quote]
OOC: That was a very fun read, friend. Thank you for posting that. It's always interesting to find out where carelessly thrown 'catch-phrases' originate. I've often used the term (and will now spell it correctly) [i]Toeing the line[/i] in conversation, in the context of 'the party line' consisting of a heavy bag of burdensome, weighty ideologues.

:awesome:

Edit: OOC

Edited by mmansfield68

[quote name='iamwalrus' timestamp='1325916215' post='2894573']
I thought I read a report on our forum about someone selling. Anyway, I was mainly talking from my perspective. Hoboage was a nation with 13k tech and 1.4 billion dollars, but he didn't even lob nukes for the most part. Would have loved to fight him. Instead he just turtled and sat there. Oh well, to each their own.

I just know if I was on the receiving end (like I was a few years ago), I would have fought to the end and never surrendered.
[/quote]
Don't believe anyone reported that. Double-checked real quick, but I didn't see anything. And yes, many of their big guys got destroyed before the top NEAT nations exited PM.

On the latter, them the ways for bloc warfare. I doubt GOD wanted to keep its allies at war any longer than they wanted.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1325908114' post='2894481']
This is what I mean. They can rebuy their infra but the tech will take time to recover from. What hurts an alliance is the actual war damage and the loss of vigor that comes from a losing war in most cases. In Karma, we didn't ask for reps, but imposed an outside aid term. I've heard it was actually damaging.
[/quote]
I can confirm this, being the person who was championing the rebuild at Valhalla at the time.
It only really hurts alliances with a large base of tech buyers, RIA and R&R would have had no real issues imho.

[quote]You know damn well VE helping us get reps when we are in the same side of the war is nowhere near you threatening to break a coalition in order to get someone ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WAR lighter terms.[/quote]
VE was not on GOD's side of the war, except for a minor engagement with Nebula-X. VE's leverage for demanding control over who was 'allowed' to hit GOD, and for making demands about peace terms if it felt it needed to, was the threat to go and fight for that side (and take PB with it) – if it was already on that side, it would have had no threat left and therefore no leverage to demand anything.

That is very, very similar to TOP using the threat of fighting for IRON in Karma as leverage to ensure fair terms for their MDP ally who was aggressively attacked.

And that's in addition to the fact that TOP's influence over IRON peace terms is constantly overstated by people trying to score points against them. The deal that was struck was between [i]Grämlins[/i] and IRON, and that was because we had a ToA at the time. And honestly, if SF had had a meaningful top tier or the rest of Karma hadn't been too selfish to hit IRON themselves, none of that mess would ever have been necessary.

The more I see a SFer complain about that the more I wish we'd just waved the ToA in your faces and let you deal with IRON's top tier yourselves.

[quote name='NoFish' timestamp='1325897293' post='2894389']
I can assure you that luck had very little to do with it. I'm not privy tot he specifics of the negotiations, but I do know we fought hard and VE are the best allies anyone could have.
[/quote]
VE had NOTHING to do with your terms I assure you. See what Levi said. Your luck in this war has been amazing.

This is what I mean. They can rebuy their infra but the tech will take time to recover from. What hurts an alliance is the actual war damage and the loss of vigor that comes from a losing war in most cases. In Karma, we didn't ask for reps, but imposed an outside aid term. I've heard it was actually damaging.
[/quote]
Yes, when you have more tech buying nations than sellers it hurts growth. RnR and RIA would have been fine as they have a lot of tech sellers.

[quote name='Buds The Man' timestamp='1325944846' post='2894754']
VE had NOTHING to do with your terms I assure you. See what Levi said. Your luck in this war has been amazing.

Yes, when you have more tech buying nations than sellers it hurts growth. RnR and RIA would have been fine as they have a lot of tech sellers.
[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't say it would and they're not the main targets for punitive terms anyway.

[/quote]
You're thinking from the position of former Umbrella and from that of a top level nation. Yes if you're a big nation with a huge warchest that allows you to insta-rebuild, losing infra doesn't hurt that much.

But for nations without insta-rebuild warchests and/or trying to build up to the top tier to get a WRC, which is great majority of the nations in existence, lost infra can be a lot more damaging than lost tech because you can't just instantly replace it, and they need the infra before they can even get to buying tech, building wonders, etc.

Once you have a high level infra, most/all of the wonders, and a huge warchest, tech is the biggest thing because it's all that's left to increase your damage multiplier. But before that, making progress on infra levels, warchest, and wonders is just as important. Don't discount the fact that most nations are still striving to build up to where they've maxed or closed to maxed out everything else but tech.

Edited by Azaghul

[quote name='Kevin McDonald' timestamp='1325913926' post='2894550']
And it's fairly clear that you only believe what you want to believe.

I was in those negotiations, I know exactly what TOP did. Go away.
[/quote]
I'm not going to go into details in this venue, but Crymson was referring to your ignorance about what happened this war as much as what happened during Karma.

Edited by Azaghul

[quote name='Krack' timestamp='1325919258' post='2894606']
I spent months hearing from Xiphosis and GOD how awful and unreasonable FARK's membership was for blocking VE from being in SuperFriends. I'm experiencing some "I told you so" schadenfreude; sue me.[/quote]

You'd have something approximating a point if we were angry about VE's handling of this.

As Sard said, we aren't and you don't.

[quote]I really don't care what GOD thinks about them.[/quote]

I guess we're even, since I sincerely doubt anyone in GOD cares what you think of VE.

[quote name='Aurion' timestamp='1325968253' post='2895021']
You'd have something approximating a point if we were angry about VE's handling of this.

As Sard said, we aren't and you don't.

I guess we're even, since I sincerely doubt anyone in GOD cares what you think of VE.
[/quote]

Here's a point for you ... your alliance almost unilaterally ruined the best bloc on Planet Bob. Everybody got rolled because of this. *applause*

[quote name='Krack' timestamp='1325970687' post='2895049']
Here's a point for you ... your alliance almost unilaterally ruined the best bloc on Planet Bob. Everybody got rolled because of this. *applause*
[/quote]

Always talking, never knowing a damn thing.

I'd be impressed, but it's kind of sad.

Edited by Aurion

[quote name='Krack' timestamp='1325971187' post='2895056']
Okay, I take it back. You guys have done swell. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Poor attempts at sarcasm aside: Swell, no. Unilaterally got the whole bloc rolled, no.

Third time's the charm?

Edited by Aurion