Tech Raiding popularity poll

caleb ryals

Tech Raiding  

434 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think tech raiding is a great way for newer nations to enjoy themselves, wet their appetite for war, and get some initial fighting experience. It harder for newer rulers to enjoy the politics and alliance building of planet Bob due to the learning curve, but tech raiding offers them another way to have fun.

I voted "hate tech raiding", but I really don't. I hate the way it's done these days, where newbies get ganged up on and forced to beg for peace. I hate that if you fight back, you are likely to be sentenced to ZI. I hate that people are told "This is a good way to make a profit", because once you are of any significant size, it's not profitable.

It's how it's done that bothers me. One on one, at smaller sizes, I'm fine with it. Fighting back should be a week of one on one war, not a gangbang by an alliance against some newbie. A request for peace should be accepted - he's shown to be active, stated he doesn't want to fight, and you've made some profit, so leave him alone and bother someone else.

Most alliances aren't willing to raid that way because they are bullies who can't handle an even fight.

Long term, if you want to grow, raiding isn't effective. Once you are no longer small, one guy fighting back will kill off all the profits from a lot of raids.

The fake 'blame it on GOONS' line is getting boring really fast.

As for tech raiding I think SCY summed up my thoughts on it for new / small nations. For large nations, it's really not about the tech or land though, it's just a temporary cure for boredom & I can honestly say that every nation I've raided in the past couple of years, I've wanted & expected them to fight back.

[quote name='Baldr' timestamp='1291091883' post='2526303']
I voted "hate tech raiding", but I really don't. I hate the way it's done these days, where newbies get ganged up on and forced to beg for peace. I hate that if you fight back, you are likely to be sentenced to ZI. I hate that people are told "This is a good way to make a profit", because once you are of any significant size, it's not profitable.

It's how it's done that bothers me. One on one, at smaller sizes, I'm fine with it. Fighting back should be a week of one on one war, not a gangbang by an alliance against some newbie. A request for peace should be accepted - he's shown to be active, stated he doesn't want to fight, and you've made some profit, so leave him alone and bother someone else.

Most alliances aren't willing to raid that way because they are bullies who can't handle an even fight.

Long term, if you want to grow, raiding isn't effective. Once you are no longer small, one guy fighting back will kill off all the profits from a lot of raids.
[/quote]

I hate when someone steals my thoughts from my head. ;)

Well stated. I would add more, but there isn't much point.

[/quote]

I'll give you that I avoid tech raiding "debates" like the plague because it's always the same people arguing over and over again with the same overused arguments and none of this mess gets us anywhere but when did someone get ZI for fighting back?

Edited by potato

[/quote]
I'm going to guess that "forcing newbies to beg for peace" is directed at us. Congrats at once again missing the point, we do not do that. They merely have to join a real alliance.

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1291128592' post='2526530']
I'm going to guess that "forcing newbies to beg for peace" is directed at us. Congrats at once again missing the point, we do not do that. They merely have to join a real alliance.
[/quote]

So now GOONS gets to determine what is and is not a 'real alliance'?

I don't particularly care for tech raiding, I've tried it in the past, and its still useful if i ever find somebody i dislike unaligned. I think its a rather crappy policy, and its why we can't have nice things. Those who are strong into tech-raiding are the kind of people who just like to break things, and if nothing else, its sad that they feel they should use their power to go and ruin another players day just because 'they can'.

I think that 1 on 1 attacks once in a while is fine, but the 3 on 1 gang-rape is a little excessive.

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1291129341' post='2526534']
So now GOONS gets to determine what is and is not a 'real alliance'?
[/quote]
We determine our policy, no one else's.
[quote]
I think that 1 on 1 attacks once in a while is fine, but the 3 on 1 gang-rape is a little excessive.
[/quote]
Then you're an idiot. Aside from that comparison being beyond vile, from a moral perspective 1v1 is just as bad as 3v1. The core of the immorality of tech raiding stems from the violation of the supposed "sovereignty" of the unaligned. The only difference between 3v1 and 1v1 is the rate of tech extraction.