Most Important Treaty of All Time

Essenia

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordinance of the Orders defined politics for a long long time....

Pretty much OoO seemed to be the strongest treaty, at the time, ever

As for blocs..Q will live in infamy for their shens likewise i think SF has its place in Yee Old Book of Cybernations. last time we saw a bloc of this size, atleast in my short time being here, was Q(which was obviously alot bigger and meaner)

Note: I got here Nov of 07 but it took about a year to get into the politics and whatnot

To counter all these NPO/NpO/GOONS/Q/WUT centric treaties(and yes, I realize that politics in this game has revolved around these alliances/blocs much more than anything else :P ) here are some other treaties off the top of my head that were important:

Independence Council(I think that was the name anyway)

ODN - Legion treaties pre- GW3

Early game NPO - Legion MDP

Harmlins Pact

The Citadel

Superfriends

CnG

Frostbite

The League

NPO - GGA MDP(right after the PC coup)

NAAC - GATO - LUE web of treaties

United for Orange

LUE - Fark secret treaty(?)

Alright, less impressive list then I thought it would be. And I suppose you could make the case for a few of them as the 'most important treaty of all time'. Well, not really.

Edited by President Obama

I reject your trilateral idea and pick the OoO. 'The Orders' were the centre of the game for a long time and that treaty was the concrete expression of that.

For a bloc, WUT takes a lot of beating. That was the one that tied together the major powers and beat bipolarity out of the world, giving us the hegemonic version of the game we played for two years. Everything else – Continuum, BLEU, SF, Citadel, C&G – is a reaction to the world that the Initiative created. Perhaps in another year we will look back and say that Citadel or Frostbite is the most important, but so far that's not the case.

Ha. Independence Council. That made me laugh.

Well, I was just putting out treaties I know off the top of my head that had some importance. Obviously, nothing was going to top the Q/WUT/OoO/Drinking Buddies argument thing going on. :P

Unless you were saying that the treaty itself made you laugh of course.

I think that in terms of sheer influence, as Crymson said, Q is hands down the dominator of the category. The sheer weight of them caused entire alliances to disband without a shot being fired. That being said, the warrior in me has a good deal more respect for WUT. Whereas Q sort of inherited the world, WUT fought for and achieved global domination with blood, sweat, and tears. Without WUT, Q could never have existed.

Edited by WalkerNinja

I think that in terms of sheer influence, as Crymson said, Q is hands down the dominator of the category. The sheer weight of them caused entire alliances to disband without a shot being fired. That being said, the warrior in me has a good deal more respect for WUT. Whereas Q sort of inherited the world, WUT fought for and achieved global domination with blood, sweat, and tears. Without WUT, Q could never have existed.

WUT did indeed need to fight in order to gain supremacy, in contrast to Q, and it did indeed succeed at this. However, I feel many forget that the WUT's ascent to the pinnacle of political power also marked, in the event, the beginning of the bloc's clear, steady implosion.

Edited by Crymson

The Dove Doctrine. It was the first alliance to alliance treaty and if it had not been broken the world would be a very different place.

I agree. I also think that GUARD had a significant impact on the game, as it is known as the first "bloc". Its the same as The Dove Doctrine, just for blocs. ^_^

I'd say SF was one of the more important treaties signed from the UJW era until now. They have been one of the, if not the only, power center on the planet that had not been under control or under the influence of Q for two years. They stood as a relative safe haven in the treaty web along with C&G for those who did not want to align with NPO & co, and by some random stroke of luck they were able to grow unchecked while NPO's other enemies were destroyed until eventually they weretoostrong to take by NPO's agenda. SF becoming too strong to destroy is one of the main sources of tension before the Karma war in my opinion. Their strength, along with C&G's, gave people hope that they could speak what they wanted to, whenever they wanted to, because they knew that there were indeed people out there strong enough to stand against Q.

And so for that, I think SF deserves a mention.

The random stroke of luck wasn't as random as you might think. Q leaders just came together and realized the game wasn't much fun without some meaningful opposition, so they let SF grow to get that opposition, knowing that they would never get the strength too harm Q.

Superfriends failure to become that opposition to Q, made a lot of people bored even within Q. So some people decided to do something about it and switch sides which made sure there was some serious opposition, which lead up to Karma.

In your opinion, which bilateral treaty had the greatest influence on the cyberverse (note that I'm counting bilateral as three or less even though I'm fully aware what the word means because three alliances is not really a bloc)?

And here I thought Frostbite was a bloc. Oh well.

Drinking Buddies and the Ordinance were by far the most important treaties between three or fewer alliances, and WUT easily the most important bloc. There is an important difference between "most powerful" and "most important"; while at its height the Continuum was indeed more powerful than WUT ever was, it was stagnant and only participated in one major war before collapsing. WUT won GWII and GWIII, and its collapse set the stage for the UJW.

Edited by Moridin