Most Important Treaty of All Time

Essenia

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

United For Orange. It was not only the first Sphere-based unity treaty, but the Cyberverse's first MDOAP and first instance of pervasive integration of two separate alliances's financial, military and social derpartments. While it did not live up to expectactions for those within LUE (First Great War, anyone?), it still served as a template for all meaningful defence treaties thereafter.

Yeah, IC was first I believe. That is why I had to crush it before it was fully birthed.

The Independence Council fell apart due to pre-existing internal issues, not due to Pacifican membership following GGA's forward of an invitation. The entire bloc was put together hastily by GGA, UCS and ODN, with LUE invited late in the process. The motions for LUEnited Nations' departure from the Council had already initiated prior to any Pacifican involvement (which only really constituted a few mildly annoying posts on the bloc's forums), with the former being the true cause of the bloc disintegrating.

Edited by Revanche

And here I thought Frostbite was a bloc. Oh well.

Drinking Buddies and the Ordinance were by far the most important treaties between three or fewer alliances, and WUT easily the most important bloc. There is an important difference between "most powerful" and "most important"; while at its height the Continuum was indeed more powerful than WUT ever was, it was stagnant and only participated in one major war before collapsing. WUT won GWII and GWIII, and its collapse set the stage for the UJW.

Shut up, Moridin!

I'd say SF was one of the more important treaties signed from the UJW era until now. They have been one of the, if not the only, power center on the planet that had not been under control or under the influence of Q for two years. They stood as a relative safe haven in the treaty web along with C&G for those who did not want to align with NPO & co, and by some random stroke of luck they were able to grow unchecked while NPO's other enemies were destroyed until eventually they were too strong to take by NPO's agenda. SF becoming too strong to destroy is one of the main sources of tension before the Karma war in my opinion. Their strength, along with C&G's, gave people hope that they could speak what they wanted to, whenever they wanted to, because they knew that there were indeed people out there strong enough to stand against Q.

And so for that, I think SF deserves a mention.

I was gonna say something along these lines, so I'm glad you did it first. Because you did it better.

United For Orange. It was not only the first Sphere-based unity treaty, but the Cyberverse's first MDOAP and first instance of pervasive integration of two separate alliances's financial, military and social derpartments. While it did not live up to expectactions for those within LUE (First Great War, anyone?), it still served as a template for all meaningful defence treaties thereafter.

The Independence Council fell apart due to pre-existing internal issues, not due to Pacifican membership following GGA's forward of an invitation. The entire bloc was put together hastily by GGA, UCS and ODN, with LUE invited late in the process. The motions for LUEnited Nations' departure from the Council had already initiated prior to any Pacifican involvement (which only really constituted a few mildly annoying posts on the bloc's forums), with the former being the true cause of the bloc disintegrating.

Nice attempt at revisionism but no.

The IC was created as an attempt to counter the OoO and I got Prodigal to jokingly include NPO. Once there I rewrote the charter and it was put to a vote before ODN could have any input on it. NPO signed and GGA signed, creating the IC without UCS, ODN and LUE, eventhough they were part of the original talks. I had admin access on the boards and was party to and directing of most of the formative discussions. If Atherton or Pope Hope would open them up publicly the interior discussions could be seen by all clearly.

The balance of the alliances involved worked well together for months afterwards, including the GPW, so any supposed pre-existing "internal issues" couldn't have been enough to cause the bloc to disintegrate.

I agree. I also think that GUARD had a significant impact on the game, as it is known as the first "bloc". Its the same as The Dove Doctrine, just for blocs. ^_^

I guess that's KIND of true, but blocs, whether or not we were calling them that then, existed long before GUARD. GUARD stood simply as the first bloc that was completely sovereign from the rest of the MDP web. I would almost be tempted to call the AoA the first bloc. Maybe.

Edit: or United for Orange....

Edited by NationRuler

I think that in terms of sheer influence, as Crymson said, Q is hands down the dominator of the category. The sheer weight of them caused entire alliances to disband without a shot being fired. That being said, the warrior in me has a good deal more respect for WUT. Whereas Q sort of inherited the world, WUT fought for and achieved global domination with blood, sweat, and tears. Without WUT, Q could never have existed.

The warrior in you? Warriors have spine.

The Continuum, meanwhile, was not formed in response to any opposing bloc; it stuck together despite the lack of outside threat

These two independent clauses are the two biggest piles of horse !@#$ i've seen in some time, and i read dozens of uni student essays a day. Thanks for the *chuckles*!

Nice attempt at revisionism but no.

The IC was created as an attempt to counter the OoO and I got Prodigal to jokingly include NPO. Once there I rewrote the charter and it was put to a vote before ODN could have any input on it. NPO signed and GGA signed, creating the IC without UCS, ODN and LUE, eventhough they were part of the original talks. I had admin access on the boards and was party to and directing of most of the formative discussions. If Atherton or Pope Hope would open them up publicly the interior discussions could be seen by all clearly.

The balance of the alliances involved worked well together for months afterwards, including the GPW, so any supposed pre-existing "internal issues" couldn't have been enough to cause the bloc to disintegrate.

Wait, this is what caused the fall of IC?

Either you're extraordinarily cunning, your enemies really ridiculous, or a combination of both. :o

I, too, feel that the Drinking Buddies was the bilateral treaty with the greatest impact upon the game; it dictated world affairs---even during the presence of the WUT, as the three alliances involved in the DBP probably comprised the majority of the WUT's strength in any event---from the post-GW1 period all the way to the start of the Unjust War.

Whereas many here have named the WUT as the bloc that most impacted the game, I'm going to disagree and apply that honorific to the Continuum. When the World Unity Treaty was signed, there was a de-facto bloc of opposing forces (indeed, the WUT was created in part as a counter to these); not until Great War III, when the latter were decisively defeated, did the WUT become the premiere political entity in the game---and the bloc did not last long in this position, as it almost immediately began to splinter at this stage, likely because of the absence of viable opposition. Indeed, this period in which the WUT was the ascendant bloc in the game was very short; between the end of Great War III and the start of the Unjust War (which saw a much-larger coalition rise against and obliterate the the already much-reduced WUT) was only a period of five months, and indeed that period saw the expulsion or withdrawal (not counting those alliances that withdrew after the war began) of a whopping six of the original thirteen signatories to the bloc.

The Continuum, meanwhile, was not formed in response to any opposing bloc; it stuck together despite the lack of outside threat; it contained the vast majority of the strongest alliances in the game; it was indisputably the dominating military and political force in CN until the last month of its existence, a period of some sixteen months; and it was indeed the most powerful presence in the history of the game.

I would have to disagree with that conclusion.

Of course tC was much more massive both politically and militarily, but it ultimately included many alliances that either were part of tI or closely allied to core alliances of tI.

As such it wasn't a complete re-invention of the wheel, rather the collectively assembled victors of pre-GW3 and UJW.

What was new and innovative with tI was the close knit cooperation between the members, working together for one goal and ultimately, through better military, political and propagandistic organization beating a theoretically stronger opposition.

After that, surely it was possible to combine more alliances - more NS - into blocs, but that isn't necessarily such a great accomplishment then creating this concept in the first place.

To add to this, the credit surely goes a whole lot to Dilber for being the architect of this bloc, naturally not alone, but still.

World Unity Treaty, or as its enemies called it, the Initiative. It set the tone for future blocs and made nearly half of CN's nations nearly untouchable by its external enemies.

Untouchable to external enemies, but if you had an internal enemy...

I'd say SF was one of the more important treaties signed from the UJW era until now. They have been one of the, if not the only, power center on the planet that had not been under control or under the influence of Q for two years. They stood as a relative safe haven in the treaty web along with C&G for those who did not want to align with NPO & co, and by some random stroke of luck they were able to grow unchecked while NPO's other enemies were destroyed until eventually they were too strong to take by NPO's agenda. SF becoming too strong to destroy is one of the main sources of tension before the Karma war in my opinion. Their strength, along with C&G's, gave people hope that they could speak what they wanted to, whenever they wanted to, because they knew that there were indeed people out there strong enough to stand against Q.

And so for that, I think SF deserves a mention.

Half of SF had treaties with NPO, and the others with other NPO allies. Also fought with NPO against WotC