Most Important Treaty of All Time

Essenia

In your opinion, which bilateral treaty had the greatest influence on the cyberverse (note that I'm counting bilateral as three or less even though I'm fully aware what the word means because three alliances is not really a bloc)? Also, which bloc level treaty had the greatest impact on the game?

For the first, I would say the Let's Be Drinking Buddies Pact. By combining the two most powerful alliances, it created the core of a power bloc that would go on to dominate to Cyberverse.

For the second, I would say the World Unity Treaty. So many things about the game that are taken for granted (for good and for ill) came about only because of the incredible domination of this bloc. No bloc since, not even the much hyped Continuum has come close to wielding as much influence.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's a toss up between Drinking Buddies and OoO.

WUT for bloc of course. Q can't compare.

EDIT: I suppose Drinking Buddies wasn't a bilateral treaty, oh well.

Edited by Hasin

I'd say it's a toss up between Drinking Buddies and OoO.

WUT for bloc of course. Q can't compare.

EDIT: I suppose Drinking Buddies wasn't a bilateral treaty, oh well.

I've got you covered:

note that I'm counting bilateral as three or less even though I'm fully aware what the word means because three alliances is not really a bloc)? Also, which bloc level treaty had the greatest impact on the game?

I, too, feel that the Drinking Buddies was the bilateral treaty with the greatest impact upon the game; it dictated world affairs---even during the presence of the WUT, as the three alliances involved in the DBP probably comprised the majority of the WUT's strength in any event---from the post-GW1 period all the way to the start of the Unjust War.

Whereas many here have named the WUT as the bloc that most impacted the game, I'm going to disagree and apply that honorific to the Continuum. When the World Unity Treaty was signed, there was a de-facto bloc of opposing forces (indeed, the WUT was created in part as a counter to these); not until Great War III, when the latter were decisively defeated, did the WUT become the premiere political entity in the game---and the bloc did not last long in this position, as it almost immediately began to splinter at this stage, likely because of the absence of viable opposition. Indeed, this period in which the WUT was the ascendant bloc in the game was very short; between the end of Great War III and the start of the Unjust War (which saw a much-larger coalition rise against and obliterate the the already much-reduced WUT) was only a period of five months, and indeed that period saw the expulsion or withdrawal (not counting those alliances that withdrew after the war began) of a whopping six of the original thirteen signatories to the bloc.

The Continuum, meanwhile, was not formed in response to any opposing bloc; it stuck together despite the lack of outside threat; it contained the vast majority of the strongest alliances in the game; it was indisputably the dominating military and political force in CN until the last month of its existence, a period of some sixteen months; and it was indeed the most powerful presence in the history of the game.

I'd say SF was one of the more important treaties signed from the UJW era until now. They have been one of the, if not the only, power center on the planet that had not been under control or under the influence of Q for two years. They stood as a relative safe haven in the treaty web along with C&G for those who did not want to align with NPO & co, and by some random stroke of luck they were able to grow unchecked while NPO's other enemies were destroyed until eventually they were too strong to take by NPO's agenda. SF becoming too strong to destroy is one of the main sources of tension before the Karma war in my opinion. Their strength, along with C&G's, gave people hope that they could speak what they wanted to, whenever they wanted to, because they knew that there were indeed people out there strong enough to stand against Q.

And so for that, I think SF deserves a mention.

I would like to remark that while I personally feel that the Ordinance of the Orders was the most important bi-lateral treaty in history, and that WUT was the most important bloc treaty in history, I can't ignore BLEU for its influence on how the world is today.

Firstly, it most definitely played a huge part in the UJW, which is undeniable. It served as the centerpiece of the UJW beatdown, ending the reign of WUT and the Unjust Path, exiling GOONS, \m/, and Gen[m]ay from the game (all of which were very influential alliances at the time), and setting the stage for the biggest upheaval in politics that CN has ever seen - mainly, the cancellation of the OoO, the destruction of the blue sphere, and the spark that would eventually ignite the Karma War. NpO may have been the leader of BLEU, but the bloc's influence on what happens today, as well as what happened a year ago during the WotC, and even before that during the UJW, is quite high among the other major blocs of history. The League was a major political player in 3 great wars; Blunity was the spearhead of one major war, became the victim of another, and inspired a third, all of which provided for much more political upheaval than any of the Great Wars (in my opinion).

I'd say SF was one of the more important treaties signed from the UJW era until now. They have been one of the, if not the only, power center on the planet that had not been under control or under the influence of Q for two years. They stood as a relative safe haven in the treaty web along with C&G for those who did not want to align with NPO & co, and by some random stroke of luck they were able to grow unchecked while NPO's other enemies were destroyed until eventually they were too strong to take by NPO's agenda. SF becoming too strong to destroy is one of the main sources of tension before the Karma war in my opinion. Their strength, along with C&G's, gave people hope that they could speak what they wanted to, whenever they wanted to, because they knew that there were indeed people out there strong enough to stand against Q.

And so for that, I think SF deserves a mention.

Well, you do know Fark, RoK and RIA also held treaties with NPO?

Well, you do know Fark, RoK and RIA also held treaties with NPO?

Yeah, was about to say, it wasn't as much a stroke of luck as an agreement by SF and NPO that dealing with Polar was most important issue at the time. The NPO RIA MDP was only canceled a few months ago, even if I doubt either side cared much for it.

Also, all you "Ordinance of the Order[/i] fellows are doing it wrong, just saying. It is a logical mental insertion to be sure.

Edited by Essenia

Anyone not answering OoO is not paying attention enough.

Although it may be one of the most well known, with out drinking buddies pact, or the blocs that were formed from it, it was really just an extension of what was already known. They rolled together.

I would agree that treaties have different degrees of importance at different times for various reasons.

Continuum, with all its aspects, was pretty important as it drives and shapes bob for long.

OoO has its importance, in the way it linked 2 very important alliances, for all the discussions it created, for its cancellation.

Harmlins Accords is pretty important too (for the special link it creates).