Would you refuse to defend an "ally"?

astronaut jones

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of the leaders in my alliance, I am personally at least 1/3 responsible for the treaties we sign. Therefore I feel strongly linked to all my allies and will defend them to the last.

In my pre-leadership days, I am fairly certain I would have fought for an ally, regardless of my feelings. However, the situation you speak of have not happened to me personally, so I cannot be 100% on it.

I'd say many alliances give members the right to opt out of military engagement. Sometimes you need peace-moders for the rebuild. Sometimes you have people who need to be away for part or all of the war. Stuff happens.

If they're a real ally, then I would fight for them.

If they're an ally by paper only, then I would not.

Define this. surely you wouldnt sign a treaty with someone just for the hell of it? I mean i sure as hell would defend every single ally CSN has..else i'd be raising hell to drop that treaty

speaking of, brb cancelling Corp treaty

The excuse of 'I'm in my alliance because of the community, not because of the treaties' is all well and good, but honestly, how tight can you be with your alliance-mates, and how much can you respect the community, if you aren't willing to fight alongside your alliance-mates whenever you are asked to, including the times when it is in defense of an alliance you may not like?

Honestly, if someone in an alliance decides not to fight because of the way they feel about one of our allies, the person would probably get ostracized on several levels by their alliance-mates for not being willing to go to war with them.

Treaty = Defend. My nation is at the service of my alliance and I will stand with my brethren in defense of a treatied ally. Don't have to like it, in fact there have been a few situations where I haven't, but there is no reason to be in alliance if you won't honor your word and defend the word of your alliance.

I'm asking would you refuse to defend an ally for whatever reason.

I can't see me NOT defending an ally. whatever the reason. Actually the only impass would be if an ally attacks another ally. Even this way I would think I might defend the one that was attacked first.

No matter if is a bad political move, or if my ally screwup. I will be marching with them. To say that you are good friend when things are going well it is easy. At least my opinion...but I can understand and respect diifferent opinions. I wish others do that too.

Interesting. So no one, so far, will stand up for the individual rights of a nation, but rather blindly follow, or not so blindly follow orders that are given, because they are given.

So, why do you give up your individual sovereign rights so easily?

As a leader of an alliance, I'd never ask our members this question. Well, okay - not do so and then expect that they would give me an honest answer... ;)

If a poll went along with this question, and it was assumed that the person refusing has the right to do so (as opposed to being attacked a traitor the moment the alliance could do so) in the poll, maybe you'd get a different outcome.

Oh, and for the record, (insert standard answer here.) :P

Yes, done it. When an ally has gotten your sig on a treaty under false pretenses or withheld serious info prior to signing, or when an ally is in breach of all legality, then the treaty is dead.

For example, when GATO violated its surrender terms by allowing a Kaos reroll into the alliance and to hold a FA position, then negotiated military treaties with alliances (like Browncoats), those treaties were void. GATO knew that they were up for a butt-kicking and that their terms breach would bring war to people, and their lies-of-omission made those treaties worthless.

People also tend to be retarded and think that a MDP means that they defend their allies in aggressive situtions, like when MDP Partner X spies on an alliance (an aggressive act of war) and gets attacked in response. A treaty partner that defends Partner X is not "defending"--they're in a mutual aggression movement.

Edited by Schattenmann

Define this. surely you wouldnt sign a treaty with someone just for the hell of it? I mean i sure as hell would defend every single ally CSN has..else i'd be raising hell to drop that treaty

speaking of, brb cancelling Corp treaty

This was a personal question to every person on this board. I speak for myself when I say that an ally is someone who stands by you even if the odds of success are low, someone who gives you words of support and has shown a willingness to accept the faults of themselves or others. If you disagree, that's fine with me.

No. If an ally got attacked for a valid and founded reason, I'd smack myself for it and fix it later, but I wouldn't !@#$%* out.

I actually agree with you for once.

The way I think of it is if, let us say, I am having business with a man who I barely know. It turns out he murdered your sister and thousands of others and you have been chasing him for 10 years.

You kill him. Good for you.

At my table. BAD for you.

You were perfectly justified to kill him, but the man was at my table. You could have waited an hour and I wouldnt care. But now I will have to kill you.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

I would never bail on MK. I contemplated leaving fairly soon after first joining, because I disagreed with the Second Shark War, but I decided that I liked the alliance too much to leave over that. Same as now. Although there are alliances I can imagine joining if MK were to disband I'm not going to leave until that happens, so I'll be in any war I'm told to fight in.

As it stands, I would fight for any of my allies regardless of the reason. I would go to the end with them.

Hypothetically? The do something wrong? They are still our allies, my allies, my friends. I stand by them.

So then, since everyone seems to be in agreement that you stick by your allies no matter what, even if they're in the wrong...

How many of you have ever been in an alliance that has canceled a treaty on the eve of war? How many of you have stood up for your allies regardless of the canceled treaty, as they were most definitely canceled as a means to avoid war and destruction?

Have any of you actually backed up your claims here, or is this mere posturing on your part? I mean, as many of you have stated, an ally is an ally, even if they're in the wrong.. so how many of you have practiced what you're preaching here? Or do those canceled treaties not count, as those were "bad allies" for whatever reason?

Edited by astronaut jones

So then, since everyone seems to be in agreement that you stick by your allies no matter what, even if they're in the wrong...

How many of you have ever been in an alliance that has canceled a treaty on the eve of war? How many of you have stood up for your allies regardless of the canceled treaty, as they were most definitely canceled as a means to avoid war and destruction?

Have any of you actually backed up your claims here, or is this mere posturing on your part? I mean, as many of you have stated, an ally is an ally, even if they're in the wrong.. so how many of you have practiced what you're preaching here?

I have fought to the destruction of my nation in accordance with an oath and fought until I could fight no more, accumulating 60 days worth of debts and deleting as a destroyed husk with nothing of value left to give.

I when I make an oath it gets honored.

I have fought to the destruction of my nation in accordance with an oath and fought until I could fight no more, accumulating 60 days worth of debts and deleting as a destroyed husk with nothing of value left to give.

I when I make an oath it gets honored.

And you're one of very few then.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't defend an ally, of course they should, but the things that people are saying in this thread does not mesh with reality. The reality is, probably everyone, or damn near close to everyone, has "bailed" on an ally, for shoddy reasons at best, and while the notion that one would stick up for an ally even if they're wrong is admirable, it is very rarely true.

Even those in the karma war, on the side of NPO bailed on them before being forced back into the fight.

So.. if we can all get passed the lies and back to the truth, that would be great.

Never happened to me. I guess that's a perk of being in government, which I have been for quite some time. :)