What's the deal?

So, I've heard rumors abound that CDT is no longer in existence. I go on the wiki and find nothing to this nature. The rumors are coming from rather high places. As somebody that was there when CDT was founded, and somebody that stuck with it until rather recently, I'd personally like to know the truth. If the rumors are true and CDT is gone, why was nothing announced?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' timestamp='1286523615' post='2478703']
So, I've heard rumors abound that CDT is no longer in existence. I go on the wiki and find nothing to this nature. The rumors are coming from rather high places. As somebody that was there when CDT was founded, and somebody that stuck with it until rather recently, I'd personally like to know the truth. If the rumors are true and CDT is gone, why was nothing announced?
[/quote]
I can appreciate your want for information, however you (and CDT alliances) would probably have been better served asking one of the leaders involved personally. If it is gone and there has been no announcement, there's probably a good reason behind that decision.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1286525669' post='2478713']
I like this new thing where we don't announce anything anymore. It makes the world more interesting.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's getting a wee bit annoying. I'll probably get flamed here for asking for information. Silly me for thinking it's a good idea for an extremely old, established bloc to at least tell the world it's gone.

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' timestamp='1286526656' post='2478716']
Yeah, it's getting a wee bit annoying. I'll probably get flamed here for asking for information. Silly me for thinking it's a good idea for an extremely old, established bloc to at least tell the world it's gone.
[/quote]

What I think people are trying to tell you is: "if you want info, go ask those who would know". In this case, CDT alliances. And not make a public announcement where there's a 99.9% chance you won't get your answer.

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' timestamp='1286523615' post='2478703']
[/quote]
It actually is mentioned on the wiki, CDT was recently classified as a defunct bloc. It was from a reputable editor, but as people here have said, if you want confirmation you're better off going to people who might actually know then just posting in public.

Who started this new trend? It sucks. People should have to take time out of their day to hunt down some to ask if and when is decided to no longer exist and Why...It's the responsibility (IMO) of said Bloc/Alliance to announce their stuff with the exception of Fark because they've never done it.

Stop thinking you are cool when you don't announce things, you are not.

Edited by KingEd

[quote name='KingEd' timestamp='1286534656' post='2478746']
Who started this new trend? It sucks. People should have to take time out of their day to hunt down some to ask if and when is decided to no longer exist and Why...It's the responsibility (IMO) of said Bloc/Alliance to announce their stuff with the exception of Fark because they've never done it.

Stop thinking you are cool when you don't announce things, you are not.
[/quote]
It was MK. We haven't been announcing cancellations for a very long time now. But we are cool.

I got a PM about it regarding my treaty web, which confirmed that it is cancelled.

And yes, I really hate this new trend not to announce things, too. Remember GW2, and how the LUE-Fark MDP was invalid because nobody knew it existed? Or how everyone laughed at FAN when they threatened the world with secret treaties? That's the road you're going down – inter-alliance anarchy and the complete breakdown of the norms and procedures of global politics. Treaties only exist because people are notified about them, and about their cancellations. This forum acts as a global legal office and not to post your treaties and cancellations damages the whole system.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1286538730' post='2478765']
And yes, I really hate this new trend not to announce things, too. Remember GW2, and how the LUE-Fark MDP was invalid because nobody knew it existed? Or how everyone laughed at FAN when they threatened the world with secret treaties? That's the road you're going down – inter-alliance anarchy and the complete breakdown of the norms and procedures of global politics. Treaties only exist because people are notified about them, and about their cancellations. This forum acts as a global legal office and not to post your treaties and cancellations damages the whole system.
[/quote]
Nobody wants to deal with the forums in the state that they are in now. You're seeing people on both sides of the treatyweb agreeing.

It's a pity that CDT disbanded. But... Congratulations, RoK. You finally got what you wanted.

To my understanding the intention was to announce it's cancellation, but people wanted to get things sorted and wrap things up properly before doing so.

This isn't an official line, but personally I'm very sad to see CDT dissolved and wish that that bloc had continued on indefinately. It's dissolved (of which blow it I'm going to give the OWF a straight answer, because there isn't enough of that), because the bloc had been struggling for a long time to unify it's foreign affairs and that was making it hard to move things forward.
Despite that a number of people wanted to carry on fighting, of which I'd include myself, but the prevailing view was that the struggle to keep things going had been going on for just too long and so it was time to pack up.

Definately end of an era & whilst like any bloc CDT had it's low points, it also had many very happy days and brought people together who still share lasting friendships. From NATO it's first member to Wolfpack it's last, I'm proud to have met all of you.

o/CDT. A damn fine bloc

I got a PM about it regarding my treaty web, which confirmed that it is cancelled.

[/quote]

When something happens and affects an alliance with enough power to make a big deal about it, it will swing back the other way.

[/quote]

On the marco level I'll cut the opposite way, because I like a degree of uncertainty in the development of a conflict...and not just of the "who is going to ditch their treaty partners?" variety. Now, there's an argument to be made that uncertainty might lead to even more tentative behaviour because no one wants to lurch into a trap, but we're not exactly a community with an overabundance of elan as it stands.

When it concerns a bloc as old as CDT, though, that probably merits an announcement.

I think the problem has less to do with people not announcing things than it has to do with a handful people jumping the gun and running to OWF with every rumor they hear so everyone knows something is happening before it's announced. Seriously people, if you're going to do that, at least do it the way Vox did, with a bit of investigative journalism and a decent presentation

Edited by flak attack

At the time that I posted this, the wiki had not yet been edited, and rumors had been circulating for several weeks. I wasn't exactly on friendly terms with most of CDT, which is fine by me.

It is sad to see the bloc go. As a former member, I wish it weren't true, but all great things must come to an end, I suppose. o/ CDT

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1286525669' post='2478713']
I like this new thing where we don't announce anything anymore. It makes the world more interesting.
[/quote]

It may be because every time there is a thread of any importance most posters will just rip into one or all of the involved alliances.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1286567755' post='2479057']
It may be because every time there is a thread of any importance most posters will just rip into one or all of the involved alliances.
[/quote]

I disagree, this is merely the natural progression.

Originally, announcements used to contain the reasons why the announcement was being made, along with a lengthly treatise on their feelings about their decision.

However gradually the reasons became shorter and more vague, until eventually they simply morphed into the classic "Reasons communicated in private" or "you know why".

We have simply gone that next step further and now the announcement itself has been "communicated in private".

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1286568312' post='2479061']
I disagree, this is merely the natural progression.

Originally, announcements used to contain the reasons why the announcement was being made, along with a lengthly treatise on their feelings about their decision.

However gradually the reasons became shorter and more vague, until eventually they simply morphed into the classic "Reasons communicated in private" or "you know why".

We have simply gone that next step further and now the announcement itself has been "communicated in private".
[/quote]
What you are saying doesn't even remotely contradict what he's saying, though. A case could easily be made to suggest that the reason [b][i]why[/i][/b] announcements in general have progressed from elaborate explanations of circumstances to terse statements of fact to people no longer announcing things on the OWF at all is because most major topics have a tendency to devolve into massive troll-fest where everyone shows up, whips out their agendas, and proceed to urinate on anyone and everyone they don't like.

It's always been true (and especially during wartime, when who's hailing and who's trolling in any given topic was rarely determined by what was actually being said as much as by which side the topic creator was on), but it's absolutely gotten worse over the last year or so. We've reached a point where most people don't seem interested in honestly reacting to events as much as they're desperately looking for an excuse to insult people they already dislike, so why should any self-respecting alliance go out of their way to try and justify themselves to the OWF and give the trolls what they want?

I've heard multiple people holding some degree of authority in one alliance or another flat-out state that the OWF has essentially become worthless. Bypassing it entirely and contacting people you actually like/respect via private channels is mostly just a way of avoiding the childish games and high school politics the public forum has long-since devolved into.

[quote name='King Xander the Only' timestamp='1286568946' post='2479066']
Too bad. I really would have liked to see a formal announcement on the disbandment. I could have had a party.
[/quote]

Probably why they didn't announce it, would have just been a platform for pages of boring, predictable comments as above.

Not that I had any love for the bloc myself.