What's the deal?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kindom of Goon' timestamp='1286569719' post='2479074']
Probably why they didn't announce it, would have just been a platform for pages of boring, predictable comments as above.

Not that I had any love for the bloc myself.
[/quote]
Boring, predictable comments are this world's bread and butter.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Edited by King Xander the Only

"I'm too cool to communicate and it makes me feel special to see people not knowing something that I know."

Either that or people just are afraid of being flamed or something, which is silly.

Avoiding the forums and trying to not announce things doesn't actually solve any of the apparent problems, and quite likely only exacerbates them by limiting how much meaningful information is even available to discuss here.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1286569881' post='2479077']
I look forward to a glorious future of unannounced wars, treaties and surrender terms.
[/quote]
Considering the current state of the game, that might actually be an improvement.

If nothing else, things would be more interesting.

[quote name='Näktergal' timestamp='1286569587' post='2479073']
What you are saying doesn't even remotely contradict what he's saying, though. A case could easily be made to suggest that the reason [b][i]why[/i][/b] announcements in general have progressed from elaborate explanations of circumstances to terse statements of fact to people no longer announcing things on the OWF at all is because most major topics have a tendency to devolve into massive troll-fest where everyone shows up, whips out their agendas, and proceed to urinate on anyone and everyone they don't like.
[/quote]
Very well said. After a long hiatus from the OWF, coming back here has been alarming and depressing. Every minutia and oblique detail becomes a point of intense contention, and very infrequently do you see people agreeing with someone on the other side of the fence, or even being remotely civil in their disagreements. While there are some posters that have always been like this, the way it has spread to all corners of Digiterra is something that I would like to see reversed. I just don't know how.

I'm not sure if this is the topic to say, but Pandora's Box is now official. Without further ado, the member alliances are:

VE
PC
Umbrella
GOONS
iFOK
FOK
UPN

I'd like to congratulate all my old and new allies!

o/ us!

edit: just to make sure, this is the closest to an official notice there will be. Don't bother contacting UPN. They won't answer any confirmations.

Good luck to the active members in ex-CDT alliances, I'm trying to save time and not PM the 3 of you individually.

Edited by Steve Buscemi

[quote name='Reptyler' timestamp='1286571026' post='2479093']
Very well said. After a long hiatus from the OWF, coming back here has been alarming and depressing. Every minutia and oblique detail becomes a point of intense contention, and very infrequently do you see people agreeing with someone on the other side of the fence, or even being remotely civil in their disagreements. While there are some posters that have always been like this, the way it has spread to all corners of Digiterra is something that I would like to see reversed. I just don't know how.
[/quote]
[quote name='Reptyler' timestamp='1286566321' post='2479043']
Oh, so you were just joking? I get it.

"To err is human. To completely ignore, deflect, and to refuse to admit you have erred is Schattenman."
[/quote]

Here's a start, toadie: "Be the change."

Spare us the speeches.

I don't care what you people say. If you announce these things, it just makes it easier.

I guess CDT being gone is interesting. I mean, it would just gain new members all the time. I guess it finally reached an inactive point that it couldn't recover from.

[quote name='Heft' timestamp='1286570532' post='2479087']
"I'm too cool to communicate and it makes me feel special to see people not knowing something that I know."

Either that or people just are afraid of being flamed or something, which is silly.

Avoiding the forums and trying to not announce things doesn't actually solve any of the apparent problems, and quite likely only exacerbates them by limiting how much meaningful information is even available to discuss here.
[/quote]
Pretty much this. Getting flamed on the OWF isn't [i]that[/i] scary, certainly not something that should put an alliance (and its MoFA, whose job it is) off posting at least those few things which are important matters of public record – treaties, declarations of war, cancellations and peace terms. Not using the forums to post the few concrete things which actually can be the basis of sane, fact based discussion leaves it with no content bar the pointless bickering and makes the situation worse, too.

And I don't really agree that things are much worse, either. The difference is that now we have two sides doing it, not one side doing it and one side too scared to poke their heads above the parapet and post at all, as was the case under the Initiative and the Continuum/One Vision hegemony.

And yes the thread has moved on to the more general principle of not announcing things, since CDT dissolving is by far not the only recent case and (no offence to former members but) the least important of the three that have been exposed. MK did eventually announce their move, Fark still haven't – does that mean the treaties they apparently signed with SF members don't actually exist? (You'd think Fark would remember how non-public treaties are received in the event that they might actually have to use one.) If you don't want to get into a trollfest, just post a gag order on the thread and ignore it after you post.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1286569881' post='2479077']
I look forward to a glorious future [b]of unannounced wars[/b], treaties and surrender terms.
[/quote]

...this would be an extreme nightmare; one I hope never comes close to becoming reality.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1286567755' post='2479057']
It may be because every time there is a thread of any importance most posters will just rip into one or all of the involved alliances.
[/quote]
I don't think someone with a nation of a year in age should be able to comment on today's affairs if he is trying to imply that they were different 3 years ago.

[quote name='Heft' timestamp='1286570532' post='2479087']

[/quote]

And I like it how this comes from a member of the alliance who I wish had [i]less[/i] to say.

Edited by Jens of the desert

[quote name='Altheus' timestamp='1286577931' post='2479156']
...somehow this thread has become a discussion about the merits of announcing via the OWF, rather than about CDT...
[/quote]

Obviously one is more important than the other in peoples eyes. Though yes it is funny to see such a bloc crumble and die. Gotta make way for the new ones I guess. Survival of the fittest and all that.

[quote name='Xiphosis' timestamp='1286587691' post='2479275']
Victory to the Stickmen!
[/quote]
Heh, it feels so hollow...so so hollow.

I think the impressive part of CDT is the sheer amount of alliances it sucked in and churned out.

[quote][b]Current Signatories[/b]

* Menotah

* United Purple Nations

* United Sovereign Nations

* Wolfpack

[b]Former Signatories[/b]

* New Eclipse Order

* The Enforcers

* Union of Republics

* The German Empire

* Order of Feudalistic Security

* Council for Mutual Economic Assistance

* Commonwealth of New England

* Farkistan

* Notorious Freedom League

* BANG Alliance

* Union of Global Nations

* The Brotherhood

* Centurion Defense Cell

* North Atlantic Treaty Organization

* Novus Orbus

* International Combatants for Militaristic Superiority

* The Commonwealth

* Council for Militaristic and Economic Assistance

* Commonwealth of Great Nations

* HeroesOfGaming

* Black Defense Council

* North Atlantic Treaty Organization

* The Foreign Division

* The Centurion Brotherhood

* Ragnarok

* Carpe Diem

* The Dark Evolution

* Fellowship of Elite Allied Republics

* Invicta

* United Commonwealth of Nations
[/quote]
I'd like to see any bloc ever top that.

Edited by Steve Buscemi

[quote name='Jens of the desert' timestamp='1286584606' post='2479238']
I don't think someone with a nation of a year in age should be able to comment on today's affairs if he is trying to imply that they were different 3 years ago.
[/quote]

I never commented on what it was like three years ago. You don't need to be playing three years ago to be able to comment on what things are like today.

[quote name='Steve Buscemi' timestamp='1286571356' post='2479099']
I'm not sure if this is the topic to say, but Pandora's Box is now official. Without further ado, the member alliances are:

VE
PC
Umbrella
GOONS
iFOK
FOK
UPN

I'd like to congratulate all my old and new allies!

o/ us!

edit: just to make sure, this is the closest to an official notice there will be. Don't bother contacting UPN. They won't answer any confirmations.

Good luck to the active members in ex-CDT alliances, I'm trying to save time and not PM the 3 of you individually.
[/quote]

Your alternate reality scenario has been noted. I in particular am getting tired of this tasteless joke getting beaten like a dead [s]iFOK[/s] horse.

On topic though, CDT was a great collection of friends. We had good relations and we liked to hang out on weekends. The problem was that inactivity riddled the bloc for longer than I can remember. Not long ago it was agreed that CDT had run it's course and knowing that we are all tied by treaties anyway, it was unofficially disbanded. The official announcement was on hold until certain other factors were taken care of. A few people have been jumping the gun on the wiki and IRC. I don't agree with how this is getting out, but it's life.

Basically, we're still friends so don't think we aren't. It's just a "Is this significant anymore?" moment.

Edited by Dexomega

[quote name='ClashCityRocker' timestamp='1286599789' post='2479417']
I dont recognize the legitimacy of CDTs disbandment
[/quote]
Lemmee guess...UPN had regarded CDT as dead for a long time wheras no one else had? :awesome:

(This reply will be ooc due to the nature of this thread and other posters doing the same thing)

I was actually planning on making a call-out thread about this trend of not posting any relevant announcements on the OWF.
Not on legal grounds like Bob Janova, but because it makes this game less fun.

We all worry about the declining number of players, but if we all start doing things like this (Not announcing things on the OWF). How are newer players ever going to find out about the things happening in the political scene, if older players have a hard time finding out about them.
I consider myself an active player, but I'm currently not deeply entrenched in the IRC back rooms. I won't be the first to know anything, That's all fine and dandy. however it becomes worry some now that I wouldn't find anything on the OWF about it either. How is a new player going to find out about things if a fringe forum like WorryFreeCN and the Wiki are starting to replace this board.

This game is as good as it is because of the great community it has. Many clones of this game died because they tried to better the gameplay mechanics aspect, but they failed to mirror the OWF. If we start a new convention of not announcing things because it isn't convenient, other alliances will follow and we will kill the OWF. Or do you all think it things will become better when Archon or Cortath decide on never posting anything interesting again?

I hoped STA made a good example in their dealings with \M/, by trying to do most of their diplomatic dealings open on these boards.
The ones you try to keep something hidden from are the ones to find out first.

Don't be scared to look to bad when announcing a negative announcement, because you're playing Cybernations so you always look ridiculous.

[b]So in the end this is still a call out:[/b]

[quote]FARK
UPN
Menotah
USN
Wolfpack[/quote]

Explain yourself on why you feel to good to make an announcement.

Edited by thaone