Official disbandment of the Grand Global Alliance

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who spent their first six months on Digiterra in the GPA, I cannot say that I am terribly displeased. However, I am sorry that Dementual could not keep the alliance afloat. As others have said, I hope this does not damage the strength of the Green Team. Good luck to the former members.

[quote name='Fernando12' timestamp='1280184477' post='2390368']
fixed.

This is a sad day. Though I was not here when GGA had its day, it is horrible to see such a long tenured AA be gone.

Best regards to all those that wore the Grand Global Alliance AA.
[/quote]
Fixed? You broke everything!

As a long-standing member until fairly recently (relatively speaking--everything's relative when you've been around here more than four years), I can truly say my time there was blessed--through the ups, and through the downs, and all the times in between.

I truly think our decline began when we lost Bilrow, who though controversial on occasion, was one of our best, brightest members and leaders.

I can't say I'm saddened at this. I am pleased, though not surprised, at Ronin's gallant gesture. Airme, you're a better man than I.

GGA, I would have dearly loved to cross swords with you for past wrongs. Alas, we ended up on the same side of conflicts, and the time of reckoning will never come. Rest in peace, then, knowing that you got clean away with it. Well played! ;)

[quote name='pasquali' timestamp='1280261441' post='2391538']
I can't say I'm saddened at this. I am pleased, though not surprised, at Ronin's gallant gesture. Airme, you're a better man than I.

GGA, I would have dearly loved to cross swords with you for past wrongs. Alas, we ended up on the same side of conflicts, and the time of reckoning will never come. Rest in peace, then, knowing that you got clean away with it. Well played! ;)
[/quote]

Many things can be said about the GGA, but that they "got clean away with it" is certainly not one of them.

Few alliances, if any, have had to live under a magnifying glass such as the GGA. Although there are certainly things in the GGA history which do not deserve praise, there are many alliances (including some of those who post denigrating comments here) who have committed far greater atrocities and gotten "clean away with it".

The Grand Global Alliance paid for every ounce of history, claiming they "got away with it" is either a bliss of ignorance or blinded by hate or propaganda.

I'll repeat my previous statement: Good luck to those former GGA members.

[quote name='Andre27' timestamp='1280261874' post='2391543']
Many things can be said about the GGA, but that they "got clean away with it" is certainly not one of them.

Few alliances, if any, have had to live under a magnifying glass such as the GGA. Although there are certainly things in the GGA history which do not deserve praise, there are many alliances (including some of those who post denigrating comments here) who have committed far greater atrocities and gotten "clean away with it".

The Grand Global Alliance paid for every ounce of history, claiming they "got away with it" is either a bliss of ignorance or blinded by hate or propaganda.

I'll repeat my previous statement: Good luck to those former GGA members.
[/quote]

I know full well the history, both ancient and recent. I'm speaking from my personal point of view. I never got to cross swords with them, and that was one of the last things I really wanted to do on Planet Bob.

So I suppose you could say blinded by hate. Not really blinded, but yeah, my statement is personal and although hate is a strong word, it's not far off.

There are other alliances and other atrocities, yes. None that have affected me and mine so closely and dearly, though.

Shame on the GM of GGA for accepting this action from an illegitimate government. If someone couped an alliance I was a member of only to disband it, you can bet everything you have that there's no way in this or any other world that I would accept it. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and may you never allow yourselves to be taken for granted like this again.

[quote name='hizzy' timestamp='1280263092' post='2391563']
am i the only one who's curious as to what exactly happened in that 24 hour window that brought on the disbandment? sounds like it would be an interesting story to say the least
[/quote]

I called that curiosity first :P

As i understand, Dementual wanted to retire and as a replacement he tried to get JB to take his place.
Both GM and allies would not stand for this. The majority of ministers resigned.

Although i have not heard anything about this i assume the GM would not accept Byron (GGA Regent) as their supreme leader and in the end the path was chosen for disbandment.

When there is no upper and lower government, there are few places left to go.

[quote name='Andre27' timestamp='1280263382' post='2391576']
As i understand, Dementual wanted to retire and as a replacement he tried to get JB to take his place.
Both GM and allies would not stand for this. The majority of ministers resigned.

Although i have not heard anything about this i assume the GM would not accept Byron (GGA Regent) as their supreme leader and in the end the path was chosen for disbandment.

When there is no upper and lower government, there are few places left to go.
[/quote]

This isn't even close. :unsure:

[quote name='hizzy' timestamp='1280263092' post='2391563']
am i the only one who's curious as to what exactly happened in that 24 hour window that brought on the disbandment? sounds like it would be an interesting story to say the least
[/quote]

Basically I caused JB to leave NSO, which caused him to go back to GGA, which caused GGA to disband. It's all my fault. I take full responsibility.

[quote name='Jaymjaym' timestamp='1280263566' post='2391581']
This isn't even close. :unsure:
[/quote]

Well, those are the events i heard from several GGA members.
If either Dementual, Byron or Partisan wants to give a time line from their point of view then they are quite welcome to do so.

[quote name='pasquali' timestamp='1280262117' post='2391548']
I know full well the history, both ancient and recent. I'm speaking from my personal point of view. I never got to cross swords with them, and that was one of the last things I really wanted to do on Planet Bob.

So I suppose you could say blinded by hate. Not really blinded, but yeah, my statement is personal and although hate is a strong word, it's not far off.

There are other alliances and other atrocities, yes. None that have affected me and mine so closely and dearly, though.
[/quote]

In an additional point of irony, if you had gotten your desired conflict, those you would have crossed swords with would almost certainly not be the ones that, in your personal point of view, committed said atrocities

The very fact that 15 pages have elapsed and there aren't at least 2 people trying to claw at each other's throats is a testament. It's a testament to the fact that whether you hater or loved the GGA, most everyone can appreciate the historical nature of this announcement.

Once again, good luck to those former members of the GGA who will always be GGA in heart.

[quote name='shaneprice' timestamp='1280199757' post='2390720']
My Dear Friends and Family:

Today is a truly sad day for the Grand Global Alliance. I have long feared that this day was coming. I have served proudly as a member of the Grand Global Alliance for the last three years until very recently. The one thing I have come to realize is that their is a point in time where you look at a given situation and wonder if the cause is staring at you through the mirror. Believe me when I said that I have had many such moments over the course of the last three years, but now I have a bit to say to quite a few people.

I was always of the belief that the Grand Global Alliance needed to separate itself from the New Pacific Order. I believed that there was a sovereignty infringement which had to be rectified. I sold my ideas by stating that if we leave NPO there will be others who will be friendly to the Grand Global Alliance. No new friends other then MASH stood up. I was sadly mistaken. What we have seen over the course of the last two years is the decline of a major world power due to the inactivity and ineptness of the government, starting with myself.

[b]Dementual of the Grand Global Alliance[/b]
Dementual, I thank you for trying everything possible to resurrect this alliance. You have done all that you can and you should not fault yourself for not being able to save what couldn't be saved.

[b]Byron Orpheus of the Grand Global Alliance[/b]
Byron, your term as Regent has been an interesting one, while I have no doubt that you tried everything that you could to save this alliance, I can only say that your behavior in #gga is certainly not reflective of the respectful spirit of the GGA that we have had in the past. The GGA has always had critics, we have always tried to rise above it.

[b]Jonathan Brookbank of the Grand Global Alliance[/b]
The person I thought had the name recognition to make the GGA succeed. Sometimes I am wrong. Thanks for trying...it was beyond all help.

[b]Bilrow of the New Pacific Order[/b]
Bilrow, I don't know if you remember, but you are the one that recruited me Bilrow. I am sorry for any offense that I have caused you and I am sorry that my policies have helped to lead the GGA where it is today. You are and always will be the founding "father" of the GGA for better or worse. We were once friends, I am sorry that we are not anymore. One day perhaps, we will speak again.

[b]Moo-Cows of the New Pacific Order[/b]
Moo-Cows, I sold you short way to early before I realized that we were both being manipulated. I should have encouraged the GGA to stand in the defense or the Order rather then to find new friends. While I do feel you were a bit over-bearing at some points, it cannot be denied that you were only trying to help. I shall always consider you a friend for that reason, regardless of what you think of me.

[b]Cornelius of the Viridian Entente[/b]
Cornelius, when you were Lord of the Entente you became my protector as I tried to implement these far reaching reforms that probably led us to this point anyway. I thank you for your commitment to green unity and your willingness to befriend me. It will always be remembered.

[b]Sognatore of Phoenix Rising[/b]
My policy regarding the New Pacific Order, along with a few other things, caused you to leave. I am sorry that this was the path that had to be taken and I am sorry you had to leave your CN home. You have dedicated much time and effort to the well-being of the Grand Global Alliance and I am confident that history will be very kind to your past in the Grand Global Alliance. Thanks for being a friend to me back then.

[b]Andre27 of Phoenix Rising[/b]
Andre27, I am sorry for couping you. There is no other way to describe that. Perhaps one time you may be able to forgive me, but until then, good luck...and god speed.

[b]Qaianna of Phoenix Rising[/b]
Qaianna, the powerhouse in the waning days of the Triumvirate, I should have given you more of a chance. I am sorry friend.

[b]Degenerate108 of Cerebus[/b]
Degenerate, we haven't talked in months. I am sorry that you felt the need to leave. You were a sounding board for me for a long time and never hesitated to tell me when I was wrong. Thank you for that. Good luck in Cerebus.

[b]KungFuHamster of Phoenix Rising[/b]
Another excellent triumvir that came into my line of fire. I apologize for what happened to you and take full responsibility. I hope your home in PhoenixRising has been far kinder then the one you had here.

So with all of that said, please understand that this is a personal statement, and does not represent the government position of the Green Old Party or it's government. If anyone has any questions my coldfront nick is ShanePrice{GOP], thank you all for a great run.

Fortuna Fortes Juvat!!!!
[/quote]

You showed a lot of maturity in your post and for that you should be commended for. I'm glad that you have had time to reflect on the situation and are willing to admit your mistakes. That shows real growth.

Although I don't doubt that you thought you were doing the right thing, I think that your error was in your methods. I believe that the way that you chose to change the GGA, with the coups and the mass treaty cancellations, was too drastic and left both members and friends reeling. A less drastic method would have probably have been more well received. What you did threw out the baby with the bathwater.

I have been interacting with GGA since I first fought them in GWIII. I was impressed by their skill, maturity, and their honor. I had further interaction with them in the time between GWIV and WoTC and had the pleasure of negotiating a treaty between NATO and GGA. In my capacity as a NATO diplomat, I had the honor of working with Bilrow, Ironchef, Sognatore, and Derek Jones. These four will always be to me a shining example of good alliance government and I very seriously considered joining GGA at that time. The only reason I didn't was I wasn't patient enough to work up through GGA's ranking system.

I lost touch with GGA during my time in Zenith but was happy to fight on the same side as GGA during Karma. It was very much like reuniting with an old friend. Unfortunately, this reunion never happened as it was around that time that you, Shane Prince, started your plans to shape GGA. I've never been a patsy of NPO but loyalty to long term allies is very important to me and the legal eagle in me shies away from coups. Once your changes started happening, GGA was no longer an alliance that I would want to be close to because it was not the GGA that I had known. So I stayed away.

So I will tip my hat to you, GGA. You are an alliance that I have admired for most of my time in Cybernations. Because of you, I had time to work with Bilrow, Derek Jones, Sognatore, and Ironchef, four people who I admire very much. My conception of you will always be positive.

[quote name='Andre27' timestamp='1280263989' post='2391589']
Well, those are the events i heard from several GGA members.
If either Dementual, Byron or Partisan wants to give a time line from their point of view then they are quite welcome to do so.
[/quote]
I'm not sure where the myth that I was retiring, that JB was replacing me, or that he even wanted to, came from.

The fact of the matter is, JB didn't like the government structure we changed up after he left a couple months ago and was only looking to retire and/or take a sabbatical in GGA, as a regular member [OOC: because his 60 hour workweek + school took up too much of his time] (which I found out after he applied, since the last conversation I had with him before he applied was about how he probably wasn't going to come to GGA because he didn't like the structure).

Later on that evening, I was pissed off by the heartlessness of a couple people in my government (OOC: in addition to dealing with a family death, and the destruction of my car; in-game drama over something retarded wasn't really necessary) so I said I was going to take a few days off. That was short-lived however (about 10 minutes) because of someone pulling me back in so I could attempt to solve an apparent crisis that evolved after some people got butthurt over retarded !@#$. Following this was around 15 more hours of sleeplessness, hardcore drama, demoralization, and the final realization that no matter how hard anyone tries, the alliance simply needed its long-deserved peace.

Anyway, the only sort of "retirement" that I was planning was a short break, and JB wasn't going to be hitting government for multiple reasons including: he didn't like the structure, I wouldn't do that to our allies, and I liked leading the GGA. I liked it a lot. Spent money left and right on it, too.

[quote name='RePePe' timestamp='1280268370' post='2391678']
The very fact that 15 pages have elapsed and there aren't at least 2 people trying to claw at each other's throats is a testament. It's a testament to the fact that whether you hater or loved the GGA, most everyone can appreciate the historical nature of this announcement.
[/quote]

You're right. In fact, it inspired me to dig up Prodigal Chieftain's final statement. If you ignore the profanity, [OOC]the rule-breaking[/OOC] and the completely insane parts....

[quote]To the people of GGA, your choice has been made. You are all worthless !@#$@#$ goddamn cowards. You choose Bilrow's cowardly bowing down to Moldavi because it's easier, less scary than my call to fight? You'd rather be slaves, their !@#$%*es, their whores, their playthings, their possession, rather than risk losing a little infrastructure? $%&@ you all to goddamn hell. !@#$@#$ disband that piece of !@#$ !@#$@#$ shell of an alliance, it doesn't deserve the name of the noble Grand Global Alliance which stood against evil and tyranny.[/quote]

....he was almost on to something.

Truly, he was a prophet.

I love how when the GGA disbands, everyone is all "OH IM GONNA MISS YOU AND WE LOVED YOU SO MUCH" where were you when the GGA was under political fire? You hid. So why are you acting like you care now?