Official disbandment of the Grand Global Alliance

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am part of a prestigious group that can claim to have been on an EZI list of the Grand Global Alliance, and I certainly counted them among my greatest enemies for quite some time. Bilrow's $@!-kissery and continual attempts to destroy his alliance certainly did a number on the GGA, I'll say that much.

I will, however, say that Dementual's GGA was the most functional I have ever seen the alliance, in my 4+ years of CN. It was inwardly focused, committed to its membership and its allies, and was all-in-all an above average alliance. It had its warts, certainly, but Gondor was proud to stand by them for the duration of the Grandor Ratification. And $%&@ the haters.

The treatment of Ken in its death throes (without knowing more about the circumstances and context) certainly seemed tactless and unbecoming of a respectable alliance, but it's a shame nonetheless that such an old, storied entity has hung up its boots (even if they were a shell of their former selves and even if I never much cared for them).

[quote name='RePePe' timestamp='1280268370' post='2391678']
The very fact that 15 pages have elapsed and there aren't at least 2 people trying to claw at each other's throats is a testament. It's a testament to the fact that whether you hater or loved the GGA, most everyone can appreciate the historical nature of this announcement.

Once again, good luck to those former members of the GGA who will always be GGA in heart.
[/quote]
When this game ends, the GGA will be remembered. I'm not sure you can predict the same for a few of the current sanctioned alliances.

[quote name='NewPoseidon' timestamp='1280727484' post='2398010']
When this game ends, the GGA will be remembered. I'm not sure you can predict the same for a few of the current sanctioned alliances.
[/quote]
GGA will be remembered in the same way as the Flying Tigers. That isn't a good thing.

[quote name='flak attack' timestamp='1280754523' post='2398309']
GGA will be remembered in the same way as the Flying Tigers. That isn't a good thing.
[/quote]
Like them or not (and I didn't, really really didn't), the GGA had an impact on Planet Bob.

Flying Tigers? Not so much.

[quote name='flak attack' timestamp='1280754523' post='2398309']
[/quote]

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1280755153' post='2398313']
Who? What is the flying tigers?
[/quote]
I vaguely recall reading about the FT though I can't remember anything about them. For all eternity most older, active rulers will remember GGA as the EBIL ONES. Hopefully some will understand that history is written by the victors.

[quote name='NewPoseidon' timestamp='1280788010' post='2398864']
I vaguely recall reading about the FT though I can't remember anything about them. For all eternity most older, active rulers will remember GGA as the EBIL ONES. Hopefully some will understand that history is written by the victors.
[/quote]
People realized that's what GGA was like when they, or rather NPO, was still winning wars. Most of the world will remember GGA by the quote about why they don't need WRC's for a reason.

Part of me is sad to see one of the oldest alliances in the game go under. Most of me, however, is happy to see this disbandment because it means the degradation of GGA is finally over.

Good luck to GGA's former members, and a final hail to my one time allies. o/

[quote name='Fallen Fool' timestamp='1280813193' post='2399224']
Part of me is sad to see one of the oldest alliances in the game go under. Most of me, however, is happy to see this disbandment because it means the degradation of GGA is finally over.
[/quote]

This is an accurate summary of how I personally think a lot of old leadership views this.

[quote name='flak attack' timestamp='1280811305' post='2399172']
People realized that's what GGA was like when they, or rather NPO, was still winning wars. Most of the world will remember GGA by the quote about why they don't need WRC's for a reason.
[/quote]

The funny thing about your statement flak, and what I frankly have never understood is that despite many community members and Alliance charters recognizing "free speech" for there membership on the OWF, irresponsible statements, such as the one that you are recalling, are perceived to be doctrinal or policy of the alliance in general, despite being made in the context of "free speech," and not from an Alliance government representative.

Forgive me, that thought is a bit choppy, but I remember the post that you are referring to very well (as I was MoC at the time and monitoring the OWF more closely) and it was not made by anyone that could even be remotely considered part of our government structure. It was, in fact, made by someone that was more of a dissident member, even at the time the statement was made.

I take issue with the your inference that this was implemented policy. With other more homogenized alliances paying lip service to the concept of free speech, one of our members posts something based solely on their own opinion, and it became our cross to bear for the remainder of our alliance's lifetime.

[quote name='WildeKaard' timestamp='1280855349' post='2399607']
Oooooo yeah, and then promptly left the alliance and stuck us all with the fun afterbirth.
[/quote]

I think he either went inactive or messed one time to many on the CN forum.
I vaguely recall him several topics about aircraft and he was never one to hold his tongue.

[quote name='WildeKaard' timestamp='1280855349' post='2399607']
Oooooo yeah, and then promptly left the alliance and stuck us all with the fun afterbirth.
[/quote]
I think Andre is right and he was smited from the cyberverse. He was more active in his latter days and ran for the Templar position if I remember correctly.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1280755153' post='2398313']
Who? What is the flying tigers?
[/quote]

The Flying Tigers were a micro alliance that declared war on the GOONS in the summer of 2007 (July I think?), at the height of GOONS' power.