The Sages

supercoolyellow

[quote name='Believland' date='21 July 2010 - 08:02 AM' timestamp='1279713714' post='2382407']
[color="#9932cc"]I would like to thank RV who taught me how to post. In style and color too.[/color]

Honest to god, you should. I mean, just leave.
[/quote]

You wound me so :(

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came to the (possibly cynical) conclusion quite a long time ago that other people who could possibly give you advice on a situation are also likely the same people who will try to screw you over down the road. I have a few friends I occassionally bounce an idea or two around with every now and then, but I wouldn't say that I go to them for advice, per se.

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='21 July 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1279759618' post='2383668']
Vox wasn't really cynical or retired...
[/quote]
Not to derail, but how in the hell was Vox not cynical? I'm pretty sure that all the 11 founders and our members were extraordinarily cynical of the world. I personally thought we'd have to wait a lot longer for Karma to come.

That things worked out the way it did was great, and yeah, we believed change was possible, but it was very large uphill battle, one that we, for the very first months, did not think would ever work. It was just the most fun way to play the game, even if nothing would change.

I would also say that we were pretty retired, since we didn't do any FA work (other than intel from spies/FAN/OcUK), no real internal work (retruiting, etc.) or military (maybe once a month we'd coordinate [i]something[/i]. Many of us just posted on the forums and other places.

I can see one saying how we weren't really retired, but Vox was clearly cynical. Many of us did in fact think we were better than everybody else. :awesome:

Speaking again of Vox, I must remember to mention Jofna, who was fun times and taught me a thing or two about blowing stuff up.

[quote name='Earogema' date='22 July 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1279775377' post='2384085']
Not to derail, but how in the hell was Vox not cynical? I'm pretty sure that all the 11 founders and our members were extraordinarily cynical of the world. I personally thought we'd have to wait a lot longer for Karma to come.

That things worked out the way it did was great, and yeah, we believed change was possible, but it was very large uphill battle, one that we, for the very first months, did not think would ever work. It was just the most fun way to play the game, even if nothing would change.

I would also say that we were pretty retired, since we didn't do any FA work (other than intel from spies/FAN/OcUK), no real internal work (retruiting, etc.) or military (maybe once a month we'd coordinate [i]something[/i]. Many of us just posted on the forums and other places.

I can see one saying how we weren't really retired, but Vox was clearly cynical. Many of us did in fact think we were better than everybody else. :awesome:

Speaking again of Vox, I must remember to mention Jofna, who was fun times and taught me a thing or two about blowing stuff up.
[/quote]
It may be hard to judge such a diverse group of individuals, but a lot of you posted like idealists.

[quote name='Arcturus Jefferson' date='22 July 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1279775840' post='2384102']
It may be hard to judge such a diverse group of individuals, but a lot of you posted like idealists.
[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose. I probably was one of them.

Generally I go to my alliance leadership, they there for a reason, once in power you should be confident enough and know enough not to need a robust amount of advice from outside alliances, any other advice I go to my colleagues, ministers, former ministers etc.

woo for yawoo

[quote name='Bob Janova' date='22 July 2010 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1279799856' post='2384349']
It's quite possible to be both an idealist and a cynic ...
[/quote]
In fact, I'd say most cynics are idealists. Without ideals for the world to crush, there's very little to be cynical about.

I was Egore's understudy and played by that rubric, developing it further, until it failed. Then I drew a new playbook and stuck with it through Karma. Other than Egore I've drawn lessons from observing Dilber, Doitzel, Sponge, and Archon. I've openly clashed with each of them at one point or another. More than anything I've learned from experience.

The Third Edition should be a hoot.

I once met a bird and it taught me to love,
I met a man, and he taught me to hate,
I met a communist, and he taught me to think,
I met a Polar, and he taught me pain,
I met an idealist and he taught me to believe,
I met a banned member, and he taught me to fight,
and finally I met a reroll who knocked some goddamn sense into me.

The people who have had the greatest level of impact on my development and style would be (in chronological order): Divine Hammer, Tulak, Chimaera, Doitzel, and Ivan Moldavi. Ironically, I am no longer on good terms with any of those people.

Nowadays, I get most of my advice from my inner circle of alliance-mates and friends such as Jaym, Dera, Dementual and STC/Ro when I can find them, and my allies.

Edited by New Frontier

[quote name='Ivan Moldavi' date='23 July 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1279930039' post='2386730']
I didn't know we were on bad terms.
[/quote]
I am on bad terms with DH, Tulak, and Chim. I am "not on good terms" with you and Doitzel because I am not on any terms with you. I don't think I've spoken to you a single time since your PM regarding my resignation, and Doitzel left the game months ago (after the two of us not speaking at all for almost a year).

[quote name='Ivan Moldavi' date='23 July 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1279930039' post='2386730']
I didn't know we were on bad terms.
[/quote]

[quote name='New Frontier' date='23 July 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1279930509' post='2386741']
I am on bad terms with DH, Tulak, and Chim. I am "not on good terms" with you and Doitzel because I am not on any terms with you. I don't think I've spoken to you a single time since your PM regarding my resignation, and Doitzel left the game months ago (after the two of us not speaking at all for almost a year).
[/quote]

Reconcile! It'll be a kodak moment

But to go back on topic, some of my mentors/people who have influenced me either through my observation of them or their own personalized counsel to me would include:

Megamind, The Arbiter, Imperial, Sinatra, Madalchemist, Feanor, Londo, Cheyenne, Liquid Mercury, Minarchist, Longbowe, and King William IV

[quote name='Lord Fingolfin' timestamp='1279935126' post='2386823']
But to go back on topic, some of my mentors/people who have influenced me either through my observation of them or their own personalized counsel to me would include:
Feanor, Liquid Mercury, Minarchist, Longbowe, and King William IV
[/quote]

You can't do worse than this. Well, unless you add Dera. I'm dead serious.

Jofna taught me how to fight. I can't wait to be 3k NS to use everything I know :v

Kronnn aka Prawn for forum stuff at Sparta.

Wilhelm the demented for general advice from Sparta (level headed guy and a true scholar)

War stuff kind of picked it up myself from all over the place.

Being a royal pain in the $@! and drama queen, I picked that up from myself.

How to enjoy CN, I picked that up from IClean/Balder. The Corporation.

Well, back when I joined UCN, I had a few people who took me under their wing and taught me what I needed to know, so I have to give my credit to some of the greatest people in CN

Jonnygozy
Rivertommy
Darkfox
Vielwerth

But most importantly, two of my great friends:

Minister of Silly Walks
Ernesto Che Guevara