GOONS Announcement

A few of our members got together to help out an old friend. Has he screwed up and done some stupid crap? Yes, he has. However, he deserves a second chance and Johan forbid that someone does something good for someone without expecting anything in return.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1274296980' post='2303571']
[OOC] English isn't my first language [/OOC] and I like to complicate things :P
[/quote]
Fair enough :P

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1274296980' post='2303571']
If I'm not mistaken, comparing something by giving another hypothetical story is an analogy.
[/quote]

To me it doesn't look like he's comparing - more like he's using a hypothetical to emphasize his point.

It's not "GOONS letting Methrage off for 90M is similar to donating to an orphanage, so obviously they are in the right here".
It's "The hate for GOONS is so such that it doesn't matter what they do, they'll get attacked".

Regardless of the nature and gameplay of an alliance, it takes a ton of work to create a working document with the importance of a Constitution. Congratulations of creating a document that all your member nations can be reasonably expected to follow and adhere to. I did happen to notice (or did I just miss it?) a lack of a statement regarding tech raiding. Is this purposeful, or is there no fundamental stance on it?

[quote name='Merlinus' date='19 May 2010 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1274298326' post='2303588']
Regardless of the nature and gameplay of an alliance, it takes a ton of work to create a working document with the importance of a Constitution. Congratulations of creating a document that all your member nations can be reasonably expected to follow and adhere to. I did happen to notice (or did I just miss it?) a lack of a statement regarding tech raiding. Is this purposeful, or is there no fundamental stance on it?
[/quote]

You'll find it under the heading "Tech Raiding"

[quote]
Tech Raiding
In times of peace, GOONS recognize the sovereignty and security of other alliances. An "alliance" is defined as a group of 15 or more. Smaller groups are recognized by the presence of diplomatic ties. Exceptions may be made both for smaller groups we wish to recognize and larger groups we do not, should the government so decide.

Unaligned nations are not afforded the protection given to alliance members, and may be attacked at the discretion of individual GOONS members. Should a GOONS member bite off more than he can chew and get beaten up while attacking an unaligned nation, he does not have an expectation of backup from other nation, unless the beating up comes from members of a recognized alliance, in which case this may be taken as an act of war on their behalf.
[/quote]

Edit: Also, thank you.

Edited by ktarthan

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1274294840' post='2303541']
Apparently GOONS demanding 90 million from an alliance in order to let a nation off of ZI is the equivalent to donating all of their tech to an orphanage. Seriously how do you guys come up with these?
[/quote]

GOONS never demanded anything. A party came to them asking them what it would cost to get a person off of a list...they threw out a number and it was quickly accepted.

Exactly how is this GOONS being evil? PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD tell me how this is evil or bad?

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' date='20 May 2010 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1274297519' post='2303577']
A few of our members got together to help out an old friend. Has he screwed up and done some stupid crap? Yes, he has. However, he deserves a second chance and Johan forbid that someone does something good for someone without expecting anything in return.
[/quote]

Hey, no one blames those guys for anything. They did a good deed.

edit : for sake of clarity, that is not sarcasm.

Edited by Alfred von Tirpitz

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1274296089' post='2303558']
Whether or not he was trying to equate them is irrelevant, the parallel drawn as to why people hate GOONS and if GOONS did something nice for a change was a false analogy.
[/quote]

I wasn't equating anything. I was stating they could do something that was blatantly more beneficial to people than the rest of us combined have done and they would still get lambasted for it. There was no analogy, just saying that the GOONS are always going to be evil in the eyes of the haters.

Edited by AirMe

[quote name='AirMe' date='19 May 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1274298799' post='2303601']
I wasn't equating anything. I was stating they could do something that was blatantly more beneficial to people than the rest of us combined have done and they would still get trolled for it. There was no analogy, just saying that the GOONS are always going to be evil in the eyes of the haters.
[/quote]

Okay but when has GOONS done something "not evil" is my question. They're good at what they do, they're GOONS. They're the alliance us haters love to hate. And if you don't understand the relationship we have, well maybe you should leave!

[b]*Runs away crying[/b]

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1274299417' post='2303615']
Okay but when has GOONS done something "not evil" is my question. They're good at what they do, they're GOONS. They're the alliance us haters love to hate. And if you don't understand the relationship we have, well maybe you should leave!

[b]*Runs away crying[/b]
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2cie8hw.jpg[/IMG]

[i]He didn't like me! He NEVER liked me![/i]

[quote name='nippy' date='19 May 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1274299608' post='2303617']
[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2cie8hw.jpg[/IMG]

[i]He didn't like me! He NEVER liked me![/i]
[/quote]

Pretty much this.

Also, please continue blowing this out of proportion with more :(( GOONS :((

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1274296089' post='2303558']
Whether or not he was trying to equate them is irrelevant, the parallel drawn as to why people hate GOONS and if GOONS did something nice for a change was a false analogy.
[/quote]

Well that is a pretty sweeping generalisation... I am pretty sure that I qualify as "people" (well, person really I guess) and I certainly do not hate GOONS.

[quote name='The AUT' date='19 May 2010 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1274299417' post='2303615']
[/quote]

Are you telling me to :frogout: by any chance? [img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r7/Louisa00/emot-frogpwn.gif[/img]

Still, I certainly agree with you in your praise that GOONS are very good at what they do, and I commend your humility in conceding this fact. Maybe you are salvageable after all.

([i]post overloaded with frogs [two is one too many!], sorry[/i])

The more the morality brigade here, who are largely from alliances who don't have the wherewithal to do anything to the GOONS, continue to bash them, the closer it pushes the alliances who probably could do something closer to the GOONS.

Also, congrats to Methrage on his record-setting transfer fee. Hopefully it works out for all.

Edited by Kowalski

[quote name='Sardonic' date='19 May 2010 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1274306470' post='2303749']
Indeed, I would like to thank Yev and his buddies for teaching us the value of friendship:

Around $90-$120m
[/quote]

I guess everything has its price.

[quote name='Kowalski' date='19 May 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1274301556' post='2303663']
Also, congrats to Methrage on his record-setting transfer fee. Hopefully it works out for all.
[/quote]
That is true, congrats to methrage indeed. I think goons would tell me to abandon my nation before they paid half that :). Can never go wrong with friends in high places

Edited by Jakome

[quote name='Jakome' date='19 May 2010 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1274309637' post='2303799']
That is true, congrats to methrage indeed. I think goons would tell me to abandon my nation before they paid half that :). Can never go wrong with friends in high places
[/quote]
I just did the math. Your nation is worth approximately $23,422.74 to GOONS.

And no, he's not for sale. :((

[quote name='ktarthan' date='19 May 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1274310523' post='2303814']
I just did the math. Your nation is worth approximately $23,422.74 to GOONS.

And no, he's not for sale. :((
[/quote]

I'll give you $24,000 for him.

[quote name='Bob Janova' date='19 May 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1274270212' post='2303248']
Ninety million dongs for one low level rogue is pretty outrageous profiteering.
[/quote]
That's extremely dishonest of you Bob and I'm very disappointed to see that you've stooped to writing something here that approximates to a bald-face lie. Meth's nukes easily destroyed a far greater amount of infra, tech and land amongst the GOONS nations he's fought over the past weeks than 90 million dongs will cover.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='19 May 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1274313409' post='2303858']
Hmm... let me talk to my boss.
[/quote]

OMG YOU ARE EVIL FOR ACCEPTING MY FIGURE THAT WAS HIGHER THAN YOURS....or something.....I am still confused.

C wut i did thar?

Edited by AirMe

[quote name='AAAAAAAAAAGGGG' date='19 May 2010 - 02:30 AM' timestamp='1274250586' post='2303096']
Hey, congrats on reading the thread!
[/quote]
This is very funny, coming from you.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='19 May 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1274275526' post='2303291']
To be fair, this is the exact same argument that Moo used to use to defend NPO's target list as being not a permazi list.
[/quote]
Exactly. So, GOONS congrats on keeping PZI. I also loved the pot shot on FEAR. Keep it classy boys.