Commonly Misunderstood

Magnum T. Gundraw

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I liked some members of GOONS, I absolutely hated the alliance itself. GOONS hurt Planet Bob in such a way that we still haven't recovered. Although LUE was a "lulzy" alliance, they still didn't pull the same junk as GOONS did. GOONS signed treaties left and right without doing proper foreign affairs to attempt to get into the political scene faster. This led to a rapid increase in treaties being signed in CN because other alliances followed suit and ultimately lead to the downfall of the diplomat aspect of CN.

It is this ease of fluidity between the community of the alliance and the internet humor communities that ultimately breeds the difference. I know of some Polars that are /b/tards, some goons, and one or two farkers, but most members of Polar don't have membership in one of these or a similar community (heh, ebaumsworld), whereas I would reckon most of your members do.

edit: lost a preposition somewhere in there

That's interesting. It's strange that Rantburgers have chosen to disperse and go woodworm.

Also: Fred P. has got your preposition and has pawned it for a participle.

Does this mean I'm all srs bzns? Why can't Fark be compared to those uptight people over at Gremlins :P and TOP be the fun lulz alliance? Also yes, you know how we like to bring every thread imaginable back to being all about TOP.

You are the spitting image of serious business. Cold, sterile, sort of cool but in an offputting way. You're better off drinking presbyterians with your Scrabble club on a Sunday afternoon than in a group as goofy as TOP.

Keep speaking the truth, brother.

Why can't everyone just have fun?

Your idea of fun might not be fun for others, and vice versa. I'm not sure where the notion that "lulz" is universally fun for all came from, but it's simply not true. Some people see it as pathetic attempts at humour, or they see it as completely juvenile, devoid of even an ounce of humour, or they just see it was stupid, but your idea of fun isn't necessarily the same as mine.. so, basically, EVERYONE is having fun, but the only people !@#$%*ing about a lack of fun are those who want to bring massive amounts of "lulz" back. No one else ever complains about the subject, because they're smart enough to realize, again, what's fun for you isn't necessarily fun for anyone else.

There are alliances that are fun, FARK is usually universally praised for their humour, but lulz alliances and people who want to bring any of them back are usually looking for an excuse to act like a dick.

Edited by astronaut jones

i determine if an alliance is a lulz alliance on how they hold themselves on the forums and in irc. If they are always joking around, poking fun, making incomplete thoughts and sentences, just doing things for the heck of it, they area a lulz alliance. There are lulz alliances, classy alliances, and in the middle alliances. And alliance can become lulz quit quickly depending on their actions.

I prefer non-lulz personally, I find the atmosphere more attractive than a lulz alliance who want the giggles.

I can't imagine a worse situation than some alliance dissolving and the farewell thread being filled with posts such as, "well, I quite respected them, they were a very serious bunch" and "the decorum and gravitas they brought to CN will be missed" and "I always admired their appreciation of going through the proper channels" and "Today we lose a beloved bureaucracy" and "true purveyors of protocol" and "They were a group who truly loved pretending to be actual world leaders" and "hail the no-lulz alliance" and ummm well...

Thanks you for using "gravitas" I like that word.

I don't feel being a lulzy alliance has anything to do with organization necessarily, it is their foreign affairs and motivations that make it a lulzy alliance.

That being said, I personally, from what I've seen of SLCB, would describe them as a lulzy alliance.

Your idea of fun might not be fun for others, and vice versa. I'm not sure where the notion that "lulz" is universally fun for all came from, but it's simply not true. Some people see it as pathetic attempts at humour, or they see it as completely juvenile, devoid of even an ounce of humour, or they just see it was stupid, but your idea of fun isn't necessarily the same as mine.. so, basically, EVERYONE is having fun, but the only people !@#$%*ing about a lack of fun are those who want to bring massive amounts of "lulz" back. No one else ever complains about the subject, because they're smart enough to realize, again, what's fun for you isn't necessarily fun for anyone else.

There are alliances that are fun, FARK is usually universally praised for their humour, but lulz alliances and people who want to bring any of them back are usually looking for an excuse to act like a dick.

You and I may have disagreed in the past over certain political events, but I'd have to agree with you here.

The most I'd really experienced a self-described 'lulz' alliance was when I'd talk with a former acquaintance who went to the Republic of Allied Defences (now part of Bel Air). I think I understood 'lulz' to be less serious, and embracing silliness. I'm honestly reluctant to use 'lulz' as a way to describe the sort of group you're referring to, as a result. I'd use less complimentary terms, since a light-hearted comedy-based alliance shouldn't be put in the same category as one that comes off as a bunch of kids confusing wit with raunchiness.

'Lulz' has usually been used to refer to alliances who don't really play the political game, but who are just looking for conflicts and wars to 'have some fun'. They're generally disliked because this 'fun' necessarily comes at someone's expense.

I feel like \m/ was a bigger so called "lulz alliance" in its hay-day than GOONS. Interesting though.

\m/ had lulzy moments, we would also kick your arse across Planet Bob when it came time to get serious.

Sort of an extension of my previous definition, lulz alliances are not all that competitive. Oh they'll fight hard when they absolutely have to, but if they fight and lose and have a good time, then they are happy.

The old GOONS and \m/ were HIGHLY competitive alliances. They took their role in the Initiative seriously and played politics with the best of them. So while \m/ might have appeared to be just another lulz alliance, and I can understand why someone might come to that conclusion based on skimming the old CN forums, a closer look revealed something else.

FYI: SLCB by the above definition is not a lulz alliance either. The Stickmen bloc is not on Purple to make it into the next Pink. Exactly why its on Purple is another question of course....

Edited by ChairmanHal

\m/ had lulzy moments, we would also kick your arse across Planet Bob when it came time to get serious.

Sort of an extension of my previous definition, lulz alliances are not all that competitive. Oh they'll fight hard when they absolutely have to, but if they fight and lose and have a good time, then they are happy.

The old GOONS and \m/ were HIGHLY competitive alliances. They took their role in the Initiative seriously and played politics with the best of them. So while \m/ might have appeared to be just another lulz alliance, and I can understand why someone might come to that conclusion based on skimming the old CN forums, a closer look revealed something else.

FYI: SLCB by the above definition is not a lulz alliance either. The Stickmen bloc is not on Purple to make it into the next Pink. Exactly why its on Purple is another question of course....

I was around in their time. But yes, according to the forums they were lulzie. I know on the inside every alliance takes things much more seriously than their "face" on the forums. I always thought of them as lulzie because they made me laugh, and at one time (if i remember right, which it may be possible i don't AT ALL) they attacked the admin. That also made me laugh, in that evil way.

Oh Hal, Hal, Hal....will you ever stop being so quotable?

I can't recall ever being 'afraid' of \m/. The way they folded like cheap lawn furniture in the UjW was frankly typical of their 'skills' when not attacking unaligned nations.

As for me, I enjoy the anti-lulz undercurrent in CN. Coincidentally, those most opposed to it are those I tend to respect the most, regardless of our in-game loyalties.

I can't recall ever being 'afraid' of \m/. The way they folded like cheap lawn furniture in the UjW was frankly typical of their 'skills' when not attacking unaligned nations.

I can. Just before the UJW they were a different alliance. And could be very intimidating, especially WC. Then it all went downhill.

Oh Hal, Hal, Hal....will you ever stop being so quotable?

As for me, I enjoy the anti-lulz undercurrent in CN. Coincidentally, those most opposed to it are those I tend to respect the most, regardless of our in-game loyalties.

You're correct, though their reputation came more out of people screaming and the, weird, almost cult like following two of their now banned leaders had. They were loud and brash, and made a hell of a lot of noise, and it worked in intimidating people, but you're right. You're absolutely right.

They were pretty intimidating when they threatened you with the full backing of the Initiative. In all honesty, I was surprised how quickly they caved in UJW, though circumstances both on and off the battlefield were against them. I believed the hype too much, I guess.