Twenty Rules Regarding Any RPG

ChairmanHal

18. If the RPG developer isn't working on developing a RPG regularly, that game is dead.

Oops!

@DragonsPhyre - I'm not sure if I agree with you or not. A part of me says that just because most of us don't make a serious alternate persona, that doesn't mean we're not playing a role; I would wager that most of us as people have at least subtle differences with us as players in CN. But then again, another part of me says that's still too wide of a definition for an RPG.

I think we might be in some murky middle ground between an RPG and a community-based war/strategy game.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well done Chairman Hal.

@Dragonphyre - just because many players are exceptionally bad and the admin/moderator powers exceptionally tolerant of them, doesnt make this an FPS.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

So IRL, your name is 'DragonsPhyre'...that must make for some interesting business cards. :lol1:

I will grant you that some of you are absolutely horrible improvisational actors, you table talk more than you realize, and that the game lacks traditional GM/DM/computer run non-player characters enemies, but in all other aspects it is a RPG.

EDIT: clarity ftw

I'd argue that the mods/admin count as the GM/DM, and NPCs are just anyone not in your alliance.

Sure they're not really non-players, but from the average person's perspective anyone that's not directly linked to think is just a strategic asset, something to look at when considering a war.

Of course some actual NPCs in the game would be neat, but our current war system would make them pretty useless/boring, or overly destructive.

....then again if any time someone got too big a team of 3 NPCs came by and pwn$%&@ed them, it would make things interesting. Too bad it would make way too many people quit for admin to use it.

Twenty Rules Regarding Any RPG

16. Beer and RPGs almost never mix--unless they result in something so hilarious it is remembered through the ages.

Rule 16 fails. Beer always mixes with everything.

Great to see you around Atrophis!

I submit that rule 16 rings true, though it should be left broader at alcohol.

TWiP is your Schattenmann. This is your Schattenmann on brandy:

20090911-EggPan.jpg

Session Start: Wed Feb 13 01:36:53 2008

Session Ident: DarkMistress

[01:36] <Schloss> you've ogtta be kidding me

[01:36] <DarkMistress> please hang on, I may not be at my computer

[01:37] <DarkMistress> hello

[01:37] <DarkMistress> nope

[01:37] <DarkMistress> we're honoring our treaty

[01:37] <Schloss> heard a line like that at Nuremburg

[01:39] <DarkMistress> nice. this is a game. remember that.

[01:39] <DarkMistress> now, you're blocked. goodbye.

Session Close: Wed Feb 13 01:39:21 2008

February 13th 2007? http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/GPA_war

Spent the next couple days disbanding an alliance over that one.

Edited by Schattenmann

No, it isn't. At best, it's tolerant of those that would like to RP here.

Unless you actually are ruling a nation/empire/alliance/bloc/democracy/dictatorship/other misc. thing that would go here, this is a role playing game. Your role playing as a nation leader.

Great to see you around Atrophis!

I submit that rule 16 rings true, though it should be left broader at alcohol. This is your Schattenmann on brandy:

Session Start: Wed Feb 13 01:36:53 2008

Session Ident: DarkMistress

[01:36] <Schloss> you've ogtta be kidding me

[01:36] <DarkMistress> please hang on, I may not be at my computer

[01:37] <DarkMistress> hello

[01:37] <DarkMistress> nope

[01:37] <DarkMistress> we're honoring our treaty

[01:37] <Schloss> heard a line like that at Nuremburg

[01:39] <DarkMistress> nice. this is a game. remember that.

[01:39] <DarkMistress> now, you're blocked. goodbye.

Session Close: Wed Feb 13 01:39:21 2008

February 13th 2007? http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/GPA_war

Spent the next couple days disbanding an alliance over that one.

I remember that. Good times.... Good times...

EDIT: Saw a post above mine that needed to be included.

Edited by Nintenderek

@Dragonphyre - just because many players are exceptionally bad and the admin/moderator powers exceptionally tolerant of them, doesnt make this an FPS.

Not saying it's a FPS. It's just not a RPG.

Unless you actually are ruling a nation/empire/alliance/bloc/democracy/dictatorship/other misc. thing that would go here, this is a role playing game. Your role playing as a nation leader.

It's really not as simple as whether or not you're technically doing things as a nation ruler. It's the intent and reasoning behind what you do. While I'll grant you that CN does require specific lines of reasoning that could be considered IC for a few actions, I maintain that the majority of the community here do not roleplay in any meaningful form. You might argue technicalities all you want, but CyberNations is no more a RPG than playing Supreme Commander is.

Not saying it's a FPS. It's just not a RPG.

It's really not as simple as whether or not you're technically doing things as a nation ruler. It's the intent and reasoning behind what you do. While I'll grant you that CN does require specific lines of reasoning that could be considered IC for a few actions, I maintain that the majority of the community here do not roleplay in any meaningful form. You might argue technicalities all you want, but CyberNations is no more a RPG than playing Supreme Commander is.

I have to disagree with you. The exact definition of Role Playing Game is

role-playing game

 

Use Role Playing Game in a Sentence

See web results for Role Playing Game

See images of Role Playing Game

–noun

a game in which participants adopt the roles of imaginary characters in an adventure under the direction of a Game Master.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Role+Playing+Game

Now, while someone said the moderators and admins are the game masters, I only partially agree with that. Admin is the game master. He designed the game in the same way that a game master designs, let's say a game of D&D (Just an example). The adventure of Cybernations are all the politics, wars, scandals, diplomacy, internal affairs, tech dealing, and everything else that we do every day as rulers on Planet Bob. Our characters are those rulers. Unless your name actually is DragonsPhyre, your currently roleplaying as DragonsPhyre every time you enter alliance politics. Sure, there are some outside references, like forums and IRC, however most of your typical table top RPG games also have outside references of sorts like that. Sure, people don't always do that great of a job actually typing in character, as if they are an actual ruler, that doesn't mean they aren't actually in character.

26) Don't focus so hard on winning that you forget to have fun. Winning is nice, but the fun is in the process.

27) Don't ridicule new players for not knowing what they are doing, give them a chance to learn and help them out when you can. You were once new and ignorant about the game yourself.

28) Defeating your enemies is one thing. Continually attacking them after they are defeated so they can't effectively play and end up quitting is another.

Hey, that's really great advice; summarizes it perfectly I believe.

I've never participated in an RPG before until Bob.

Also..

# something-or-other, don't be afraid to take risks or to act differently.. variety is the spice of life and the same is true about an RPG.

Edited by ModusOperandi

That's pretty good Hal. Nice job. Except I do like my beer. B)
The game was most fun when I used to be drunk or something half of the time, so if one can control oneself while under influence, I would agree that the rule regarding alcohol consumption is obsolete and should be disregarded by all.

Where else is it better to learn from drunken behavioral mistakes than in an RPG? No real damage done, while being a rectum type of person (or simply of subnormal intelligence) in real life can distrupt reproductional chances or even worse, damage or destroy friendships.

If you can't risk drunken mistakes in an RPG in order to increase your under-influence-self-control, you are not employing the full benefits of playing the game. Of course, it is not required or even expected for anyone to play a game to it's full potential. I have all the respect for players who take the game kind of seriously and play 'to win' in order to maximize their fun and the recreational value of playing, but disregarding these kind of learning opportunities I would regard as counter-productive.

The game was most fun when I used to be drunk or something half of the time, so if one can control oneself while under influence, I would agree that the rule regarding alcohol consumption is obsolete and should be disregarded by all.

A typical rule #5 remark. :awesome: