The Single Most Important Person....ever

Hyperion321

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who had this idea first, three years ago?

:awesome:

But yeah, this is a good idea. However, how are we going to manage a poll for fifty candidates?

Don't do a poll. It kills the anticipation of finding out how they were ranked. Secret ballot remember?

Honestly, I think it would be best if this were a CN-sponsored event. A few of us moderate a nomination thread, but the vote (held for 7 days) would be done by PMing a secret ballot to a Moderator containing between 5 and 10 votes. Have the mods tally the votes, and turn over the totals to the people running the nomination thread. Those people contact the authors afterward.

Something like that. It's a rough idea.

Actually, I like that idea. Is there any way to make poll results secret to views after they vote?

This would be better.

Edited by WalkerNinja

Frankly, I think that Bodvar's on to something. We have enough worthies around here to develop a top 50 list. Have public nominations. Hold a secret ballot to vote for the top 50. Have the self styled scholars and writers of the Open World Forum release an article on each in reverse order from 50 to 1, one per week.

Perhaps give everyone 25 votes but when you calculate, show the top 100 vote getters. Coming up with 50 names individually is just too much of a stretch.

Don't do a poll. It kills the anticipation of finding out how they were ranked. Secret ballot remember?

Honestly, I think it would be best if this were a CN-sponsored event. A few of us moderate a nomination thread, but the vote (held for 7 days) would be done by PMing a secret ballot to a Moderator containing between 5 and 10 votes. Have the mods tally the votes, and turn over the totals to the people running the nomination thread. Those people contact the authors afterward.

If we can't do a hidden poll, I think it would be easier if I take the names of every nominee in this thread and compile them in a list in the voting thread. Voters PM me their 10 picks, and I mark up the tally on a word document. Shouldn't be too hard.

Hmm let's see Dilber created the Initiative, Sponge destroyed it, Moo created the Continuum, and while he had a part in destroying it, Sponge/Doitzel still had the helm of the anti-NPO movement. I'd have to say Sponge.

Ugh, single most important person.... ever. This should be hard... hmm...

I'd like to say that the first person to ever exist would be the most important person, since without him/her, the rest of us might not exist either... but then again, that person may have not had actual significance, since another being might've become the first person ever...

I'd go with myself, since the world wouldn't exist without me (or rather, the world, from my perspective, wouldn't exist, since I wouldn't exist, and therefore to me, the world would be of negligible importance compared to my own lack of existence), but we're not allowed to nominate ourselves...

Go with Jesus. Whether or not you believe he existed, you can't deny that he has caused much to happen throughout history (I'd have said God, if not for the person requirement <_<)

FAKE EDIT: Oh you mean CN? I'll go with admin tyvm.

Real edit: spelling

Edited by Velocity111

Sweet, I got mentioned. I do not consider myself one who has ever been much for political masterminding like the others that have been listed here so not sure how I've really shaped the game like they have.

For game mechanics, Syz has been by far the most influential person.

Political aspect, I'd say Ivan or ES

Blowing stuff up: Me :P

I think I'm going to have to go with..

God, this is a tough one.

Dilber.

What he started with WUT has continued to this day, albeit in other forms, yet the general idea has stuck around. These 'power bloc' things weren't really a reality until WUT came along. You had a loose coalition fighting NPO et al during GW1, but they were in no way united in the way WUT and later the Continuum were. I believe it is due to Dilber's brilliant backroom masterminding that we are here living on an interesting Planet Bob today. Ivan's maimkillburn philosophy was in a league of its own, sure, but I would definitely say Dilber was the single greatest political mastermind that we've had to date, with Sponge and then perhaps Archon a close 2nd and 3rd in terms of significance.

I wonder if this nascent poll would show an age bias, by nation creation date.

Being an old timer, I see most things through the lens of Ivan's influence, even though he was never my leader. A portion of the names in your original list would not be where they are without Ivan, imho.

So yeah, Ivan.

JoshuaR and Starcraftmazter.

Both have played key roles in the establishment of NOIR.

BTW, so have MyWorld, PMac627, and Fort Pitt.

Oh no, I'm a nobody. People don't even reply to me on the forums. E_S pops in and all hell breaks loose. Dilber posts and people gasp with anticipation. I get nothing. As for the black team, I had less to do with it than the fine folks at OBR, who pushed the Dark Vows, and for NOIR Sceptor would probably be the biggest player, though I certainly helped manipulate the black team into the ODP+econ NOIR treaty over the other suggestions ;).

I'm still going with Dilber slightly edging sponge.

Listen, I really don't care what you say about me (okay, that's a total lie, but I won't be conceited enough to address it in such a thread), but don't talk smack on my alliance.

Well, the individual contribution of MK was not immensely important. NPO's fall came as the result of collective action and general revulsion, it would have happened regardless of whether MK had been around or not, which says nothing about the fine fighting ability and high activity of the alliance to be sure, though you seem to be implying such.

Gonna go with Unsure. The long term implications of what he did and Starfox's expulsion and all that haven't really been explored or appreciated any.

Interesting that someone remembers that. If that hadn't happened >_< (Later: \m/) would have left The Initiative within weeks.

No, I've just been sort of important for a long time, had my moments, sure, but not the kind of long term intensity that others have demonstrated. Which also is true for about 90% of the people mentioned in this thread.

If you made a top 100 list, I think I could have a shot at it, I'm far too much of a team player to make it into the top 25 though.

There is one candidate that stands out among all the others, and it has been mentioned before, that is Dilber.

Dilber literally wrote the book in terms of CN geopolitics, if we went back to the creation of CN, assumes everyone involved in CN between then and now would be involved at the same time and at the same level of activity as they where. Then remove a single person, no such removal would result in a history so different from how we know it now as the removal of Dilber, not even close.

Remove Ivan Moldavi, it would be fair to assume that NPO would rise to power, would create enemies, and we would get to the point of GW1 where Dilber comes in and does his thing.

Remove Sponge, you might take away UJW, although knowing 404 among others, I doubt it wouldn't happen anyway. Sponge's real feat here was to see it coming, and succesfully smashing UJP to bits and pieces.

Remove Moo, and you'd have someone else as Emperor of NPO, doing much of the same things Moo did.

There where many architects behind this most recent conflict, taking away one of them would not stop it from happening.

Taking away Dilber could have rather extreme results:

I would find it more likely than not, that GW2 would not be the turning point where the political scales swings so much in the favour of NPO and it's allies that to this day, *none* of the alliances that made up league have ever returned to something that even remotely resembles their relative strength, and if I am not mistaken, most of them no longer exist anyway.

Remove Dilber, and maybe NAAC, Legion, GATO and LUE would be around now still sanctioned (although I find it likely that those four would be outgrown, or crushed, by more organized and energetic alliances somewhere down the line anyhow)

Remove Dilber, and maybe Karma would come crashing down on big evil tyrant NpO and the hegemony with Polar at it's center, although there would probably not be an UJW for Polar to gain the chance to get there in the first place.

Sponge, Ivan, Moo and others are undeniably skilled, the two first ones are definately masters without rivals on several vital aspects of the game that does make their nomination and a top 10, probably top 5 spot very well deserved. Taking away either of them would change a lot of things, but not that many things.

But #1, that's Dilber, because he (when he didn't fall victim to such silly RL things as school) is the master without rival on the most important field of them all.

Pretty much this. Dilber changed the game forever. We are all Dilberists, whether we love him or despise him. He stepped into a world of inward alliance policy, of few treaties, and ended that world. Nearly all of us, regardless of our sides, follow his philosophy. That is not to say that all treaties are empty or that we all throw them around. But we all conduct foreign relations at a level that would have seemed shocking to the Moldavist world. Perhaps Ivan had the same impact in his own time, but the world today, the Dilberist political age, would probably have happened with or without him. We all play Dilber's game, and we will for the foreseeable future, even if he and every single member of the NPO were to suddenly delete.

-Bama