How long has it been?

Alfred von Tirpitz

[center][center][code]Nation Created: 4/17/2008 4:01:08 PM (1,526 days old)[/code][/center][/center]

On that sombre note, we start this topic. Yes i believe it has been slightly longer than 4 years that i have been in and around Cybernations. For one, my ISP had better send Admin some dollars since he charges me per byte, it sure feels like per byte. If had been someone else telling me they played a game daily for the past 4 years i would look at them funny and with concern. I might even dial an emmergency/addiction helpline to get them some help. I cannot think of any other game that has held me to itself on a daily basis for more than 6 months in a row. There was Diablo 2 LoD that i played on and off for two to three years but there would gaps, like a week or two would go by [after a year of daily play :P ] before i would go back to playing it.

So yeah, Mr. Kevin from Texas, you made a game that went on to beat Blizzard's Diablo 2 LoD in terms of holding my attention. Of course, we realize that most of that period was enjoyable not because of what Admin created but because of the world created around it by the people who came to inhabit this dump. And such people, like.. from the craziest unwashed loon post linking an irc channel to an image of his parts, to the most interesting radiologist who sang opera over teamspeak in 2008. The game was interesting to play, mainly as a backdrop and as a necessity to all the scheming and plotting we wanted to do. I mean, if the nations were not mandatory we might have gone right along ignoring them for 20-25 days and still carry on the scheming and plotting, coz that was our main game. Oh and we need pixels to sort of keep score of who actually won, statistically, i think.

Over time however it has sort of lost its charm, not because of anything that is wrong with the gamer per se, because face it, its the same as it was in April 2008 except the navy thing and some space colonies and whatever. What has changed, in my opinion, is the energy levels of the people involved. We all got older, and lazier. New guys dont step up, you mentor a few, see them become good enough and they delete out. Old ones are burnt out. Those that persist, would rather go in for a good little pre-ordained-outcome war of 10:5 odds than actually have to work for their fun. In this the most fun times i had in the game were pre-karma. Boy did we $%&@ ourselves over by bringing down the evil big red giant. Having a charged atmosphere of "omg anyone can get rolled for sneezing wrong" is better than the supergrievances era, or the current somnolent schizophrenic ennui laden atmosphere. The current hegemony, that i hear so much about was great as the underdogs but are piss poor at being the tyrant. You just do not engender the same atmosphere that made the game of survival and growth against odds, fun. The lot of you, regardless of your alliance affiliations.

Anyways, it has been a good trip, and now my engine is running on fumes. My tech is almost all gone, just one aid cycle left, [psst: Admin, make sending out tech easier if someone wants to donate it all].

Its been almost a year and a half since i have been on irc for more than a few minutes at a time and i want to take this opportunity to send a shoutout to all my friends on there. If any of you guys are still around. Bah!

Ciao people.

[quote name='Delta1212' timestamp='1340279958' post='2991741']
Now? Really? This is the moment you choose?
[/quote]
I have had one foot out the door for almost 5 months now, since the biodad thing, it just took this long to get rid of the tech. Also, what is so special about this moment?

Edited by Alfred von Tirpitz

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1340281687' post='2991755']
I have had one foot out the door for almost 5 months now, since the biodad thing, it just took this long to get rid of the tech. Also, what is so special about this moment?
[/quote]

I just came back. That's what.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1340281687' post='2991755']
[/quote]
Seriously im still waiting, im ready when you are its not like ill be here forever either

I hear ye, Alf.. I've been playings this game for nearly 4 years now and that is an amazing feat considering my ADD. It is the community, because.. lets face it.. if I were addicted to pushing buttons, I could carry a calculator around with me everywhere.

I know this was coming, but it's still a rotten day. You are one of the biggies, the best CN has to offer and you will be sorely missed.

Even though you are flushing your nation, don't be a stranger... IRC is just a few more buttons away and what's a few more clicks after all this time mashing them.

Hail Alfred von Tirpitz
friend
:wub:

Hey AvT, sad to see you go man. :(

You were one of the good ones, and extended out a hand when no one else did. I'll always remember the series of events following the third (or fourth?) time I rouged GGA and how you fought for me personally. Now I'll say to you what you said to me in that thread:

Dude, find me when this is over.

o/

- D_T (Xerxer)