Confessions of an Alliance Hopper

Beauty

Decide what you want to do in this game. Some people play to "win". Some for their friends. Some for their own personal goals, and some to have the most stuff. Make friends. Don't be an !@#$%^&, and realize people are not their AA tags. Remember that everyone has the desire to leave their community at one point or another, there are no perfect communities. You just have to realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1338908442' post='2977517']
As I was writing this response, I thought of this study:

[spoiler][img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/duncanking/presidents.png[/img][/spoiler]
[url="http://academic.regis.edu/jriley/414%20presidential_character.htm"]Source[/url]

The best Presidents have been Active Positives. They were good at their jobs and liked doing them. The most problematic have been Active Negatives. They hated their jobs but did them out of a sense of duty. Positive Passives and Negative Passives aren't really engaged enough to cause serious issues.

Not that I'd ever have the time but it would be interesting to group CN alliance leaders on this continuum. In your case, I think you're probably a Passive Positive. You seem to care quite a bit about how people feel about you, maybe more than you should (you created this topic even though the most likely outcome is you getting attacked for posting it) I aspire for Active Positive but I most often fit into Active Negative or Passive Negative.
[/quote]

Cool, I've never seen this before. At least this thread produced something interesting. I'd say I'm probably a Passive Positive. :P

I'd also say there were relative good presidents in everyone of those categories.

Edited by Omniscient1

[quote name='Timmehhh' timestamp='1338909334' post='2977525']
It's quite inactive nowadays. Just find yourself a more active alliance. Like Umbrella, MK, Non Grata, [b]TOP[/b] or NPO for example.
[/quote]

I'd prefer that she spare our admissions staff the wasted time of processing an applicant who is sure to be rejected.

You'll probably never find a place you truly like. A lot like me, I find an alliance, I join it, I enjoy it, then my mind decides this is not good anymore and I nit pick at the stupid little !@#$ until I blow up and leave. You just do it in a lot quicker intervals and your more vocal on owf than I ever was. I've done it a few times and my answer was leading an alliance. I molded it into what I wanted and I was encouraged to do so by a lot of loyal friends who followed me. It is a little bit different to do that now because of the status of the game though.

[quote name='Emperor Whimsical' timestamp='1338938365' post='2977899']
Decide what you want to do in this game. Some people play to "win". Some for their friends. Some for their own personal goals, and some to have the most stuff. Make friends. Don't be an !@#$%^&, and realize people are not their AA tags. Remember that everyone has the desire to leave their community at one point or another, there are no perfect communities. You just have to realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
[/quote]This is good advice

[quote name='Emperor Whimsical' timestamp='1338938365' post='2977899']
[/quote]

Well said

Would I fall under the definition of an alliance hopper?

I never spend more than three months in an alliance. I have been in so many of them that I have forgotten half of their damn names.

I advise you to avoid people that mock you because of this thread or for any other reason, or anyone that mocks other players when they ask for an hand and/or are in some trouble. You don't need the company of idiots.

Off the top of my head I would personally suggest The Grämlins (but bear in mind that it's a long time I don't really hear from them) or, considering how vocal and active you can be, the Cult of Justitia. IRON, NpO and Valhalla are all solid alliances which take the game "seriously" enough and can mostly keep their composure in private and in public: I'd consider them too, if I were you.
If you can give up on the "take the game seriously" (well, for the most part), GOONS is also another good pick IMHO.

At any rate, good luck with your quest.

Edited by jerdge

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1338938856' post='2977903']
I'd prefer that she spare our admissions staff the wasted time of processing an applicant who is sure to be rejected.
[/quote]

This is why a vouch process is great!

;)

There is nothing simple about your request. What I have seen from you and even saw when we talked is you need to be needed. This isn't a slight in any way. The problem with that is, you still have to determine at your root what will make you happy. While you say its activity, likely its more like activity with a purpose.

This is a main reason I have on a few occasions talked about having to be something beyond existing. Those alliances do exist - but like all others have their downsides as well. Because this is a social game your root reason will have to be the people you associate with, your "friends". So stop, take some time and reflect on what you really want to do/be a part of. Then ask the alliances point blank if they feel they can provide that. Certainly for any alliance you go to you will have to address your moving from alliance to alliance, but if you are honest and direct without being indignant I believe you will find what you can enjoy and I mean really enjoy.

You will get grief about starting an alliance but as an alliance leader let me say this: It will be worse if you hate where you are (created it or not) if it doesn't encompass in effect who you are. Members will suffer far greater things if you attempt to hide that. Approach them also honestly and directly. Some will respect you, some will hate you and yet others wont care. Its the nature of things. There is not a day that goes by or a decision that is made by alliance leaders that doesn't follow that pattern. Frankly and directly I always respect someone who stands tall and is honest to me.

If you are looking for places to go many have given good advice as there are many good alliances out there. But you will need to do leg work, not join work, leg work in talking and getting to know who they really are and if they fit your needs and you fit theirs.

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1338982718' post='2978191']
I advise you to avoid people that mock you because of this thread or for any other reason, or anyone that mocks other players when they ask for an hand and/or are in some trouble. You don't need the company of idiots.

Off the top of my head I would personally suggest The Grämlins (but bear in mind that it's a long time I don't really hear from them) or, considering how vocal and active you can be, the Cult of Justitia. IRON, NpO and Valhalla are all solid alliances which take the game "seriously" enough and can mostly keep their composure in private and in public: I'd consider them too, if I were you.
If you can give up on the "take the game seriously" (well, for the most part), GOONS is also another good pick IMHO.

At any rate, good luck with your quest.
[/quote]
I thought this was actually decent until I saw you say NpO is solid and keeps composure. Then I knew it was a joke post.

I mean, sure, they have a community, but what alliance doesn't? You need stats or good allies one to be a "solid" alliance, really.

[quote name='Neo Uruk' timestamp='1339002951' post='2978281']I thought this was actually decent until I saw you say NpO is solid and keeps composure. Then I knew it was a joke post.

I mean, sure, they have a community, but what alliance doesn't? You need stats or good allies one to be a "solid" alliance, really.[/quote]
I meant "solid" as in they having structure and "professionalism", not about their political situation. That's just my personal opinion, based on my personal experience, anyway. Others will have different stories to tell.

[quote name='Neo Uruk' timestamp='1339002951' post='2978281']
I mean, sure, they have a community, but what alliance doesn't? You need stats or good allies one to be a "solid" alliance, really.
[/quote]

Depends entirely why you're playing. If you're playing it as a game and nothing but a game, stats are everything. But if you wanted to just purely play it as a game without thinking of the people, you'd be on TE.

It's a social game, so community matters as much, if not more. You won't see < 400k NS alliances with a strong community disbanding, but even the huge inactive ones will break apart and go their own way. You won't see people stick around or go out of inactivity without a community. You won't get people putting their time into boring !@#$ like IA without others who appreciate that kind of effort.

Edited by MrMuz

[quote name='MrMuz' timestamp='1339007281' post='2978316']
Depends entirely why you're playing. If you're playing it as a game and nothing but a game, stats are everything. But if you wanted to just purely play it as a game without thinking of the people, you'd be on TE.[/quote]
On the other hand, if you truly didn't care about stats like so many people say, you would idle in IRC without a nation. It's a game first, community deal second.

[quote]It's a social game, so community matters as much, if not more. You won't see < 400k NS alliances with a strong community disbanding, but even the huge inactive ones will break apart and go their own way. You won't see people stick around or go out of inactivity without a community. You won't get people putting their time into boring !@#$ like IA without others who appreciate that kind of effort.
[/quote]
My point is NpO doesn't seem like that strong of a community compared to a ton of alliances, not that they don't have a community. So I don't see why you're lecturing me on this anyways.

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1338982718' post='2978191']
[/quote]

Your advice is solid, but different rules apply when you ask for help and then bite the hand that feeds.

Regardless, I hope Rotavele finds what she's looking for.

Edited by Incitatus

[quote name='Neo Uruk' timestamp='1339010123' post='2978336']
On the other hand, if you truly didn't care about stats like so many people say, you would idle in IRC without a nation. It's a game first, community deal second.
[/quote]

There are those people consider the game a tax to be in a community. I'd also point out the political parts of cybernations involve both the community and the ingame parts as well.

[quote name='Emperor Whimsical' timestamp='1339012671' post='2978369']
There are those people consider the game a tax to be in a community. I'd also point out the political parts of cybernations involve both the community and the ingame parts as well.
[/quote]
Well yeah, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying if you were purely in this for a social aspect you wouldn't need to play the game.

[quote name='ccabal86' timestamp='1338987404' post='2978201']
A brief notice regarding our application process: "Controversial" individuals usually require Council approval before admittance :)
[/quote]

I laughed.

My point is NpO doesn't seem like that strong of a community compared to a ton of alliances, not that they don't have a community. So I don't see why you're lecturing me on this anyways.
[/quote]
Honestly I think you have to have a strong community to get through what they've been put through. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't be here right now.

[/quote]

After what they went through of late, I'd think they have a strong community.

[quote name='Gibsonator21' timestamp='1339023537' post='2978439']
Honestly I think you have to have a strong community to get through what they've been put through. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't be here right now.
[/quote]
They're a mass recruiting alliance. You also have to factor in people who don't care about the game other than when wartime shows up.

No doubt they have a few dedicated members, but I'd name quite a few alliances before NpO if I was going to point out a strong community.