Seriousness of CN

Jazzy95

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gibsonator21' timestamp='1297847712' post='2635508']
This sums up my views. It's a game, but it requires a level of seriousness to keep it fun. If everyone was just here as a game it'd be constant war. If everyone thought it was life or death, it'd be too stressful to enjoy. A nice balance keeps it interesting.
[/quote]
This about sums up my opinion as well.

-Bama

2, both and like a game.

I waste my spare time at work on CN, as well as my free time at home when I'm not going out or have anything better to do. Depending on what's happening in CN and RL, I manage my time between the two accordingly.

Obviously real life take precedent and always will but if I've got some stuff I ought to be doing on CN and have no plans for doing much in rl, then I'll get on with what needs to be done in CN.

[quote name='Vladimir Nikanor' timestamp='1297819719' post='2634971']
I view it as a game, but it's not like any other. I would like to see a return of maturity and seriousness concerning it. Considering we're supposed to be rulers of nations, I think it SHOULD be taken seriously to a point. I would be VERY concerned if world leaders started acting half as bad as some of the people around here.
[/quote]

I agree for the most part, though its hard to act as a nation leader, when the nations themselves are nothing more than a tool to bluster the alliance.

I used to put way too much time and thought into this game, and then I realized that it wasn't fun anymore and stepped out. When I joined NSO I resolved never to get to that point again and instead to just keep it fun (and I think we've mostly succeeded). There are still people who take it as seriously as I used to, and often those will be the people who end up at the very top of the pile (not necessarily everyone at the top of the pile is at that stage, though, before snaps at me) - it's not quite as severe as it was during the Continuum days, but that "dedication" is still there.

What annoys me more lately are people who constantly remind us "it's just a game" or who justify things they or others do with "it's a game." I may view this as a game and as something to play around with and experiment with, but Heft, Emperor of the Sith, is pretty !@#$@#$ serious about this !@#$ and doesn't know he's just in a game. Otherwise all the politics and conflict evaporates into a cloud of "it's a game so nothing matters." What makes the wars and debates and petty silliness interesting (or at least tolerable) is the meaning imbued on it, and without our characters giving some sort of meaning to the game-world they inhabit, then it's just boring.

So, yes, it's just a game and some of you need to realize it's just a game and step back and throw caution to the wind and say "$%&@ it if we lose," but some of you need to recognize that there's no point to anything if it's all predicated on "just a game."

It is like a game of course, but that is not to say that it isn't important or serious or emotionally meaningful. I cherish my community and value many of the people I've met here, I also call many friends and believe those relationships are portable from this game to other walks of life. I pay attention to CN events and when my community needs something I step up to the plate and happily *work* to get things done. I've been a part of my alliance longer than I've been on several sports teams and I try just as hard to help us *win* in this environment as I did or would in those others.

This game takes too much time, just like any other. I don't think you could get away with taking it any less seriously - it takes quite a lot of work to build a good alliance. Staying ahead of everyone else is simply about putting more work in than everyone else, which is why Umbrella is so far ahead.

I was in TE gov last round and it was just too much effort, especially at the start. Thankfully it was on uni vacation, but it was still a massive waste of time now that I look back at it.

12 noon - Wake up, log on IRC, discuss plans, write/send PMs and motivation propaganda, hang around to be prepared to temp trade.
3 PM - Change nick to indicate that I'm away, run out to buy lunch.
4 PM - Discuss blitz plans and assign targets, someone panics because we don't have enough time
4.50-5.20 PM - Update blitz.
5.30 PM - Have lunch, hang around IRC to assign targets to people who overslept update, shower
6.30 PM - Discuss IA or FA with alliance gov. What is Alliance X doing? How should we react?
9 PM-2 AM - Girlfriend gets online, webcam/call her, I set nick to away so that I don't have to check IRC every few minutes
3 AM - Do a bit more IA, build trade rings, scan for ghosts. Extra time permitting, scan through the nations for possible rogues.
5 AM - Sleep

Perhaps less work for CN:SE. New alliances without a full government will also need a lot of work. Less work for old, stable, established alliances like GATO and RIA, but still a lot for maintenance.

Still, not enough time to do all those things and it becomes like a full time job without the weekends. It doesn't quite give the satisfaction of actually finishing a job, because we end up doing everything half assed. Not to mention that maintaining a girlfriend also takes a huge chunk of time.

[quote name='MrMuz' timestamp='1298542779' post='2643740']
This game takes too much time, just like any other. I don't think you could get away with taking it any less seriously - it takes quite a lot of work to build a good alliance. Staying ahead of everyone else is simply about putting more work in than everyone else, which is why Umbrella is so far ahead.

I was in TE gov last round and it was just too much effort, especially at the start. Thankfully it was on uni vacation, but it was still a massive waste of time now that I look back at it.

12 noon - Wake up, log on IRC, discuss plans, write/send PMs and motivation propaganda, hang around to be prepared to temp trade.
3 PM - Change nick to indicate that I'm away, run out to buy lunch.
4 PM - Discuss blitz plans and assign targets, someone panics because we don't have enough time
4.50-5.20 PM - Update blitz.
5.30 PM - Have lunch, hang around IRC to assign targets to people who overslept update, shower
6.30 PM - Discuss IA or FA with alliance gov. What is Alliance X doing? How should we react?
9 PM-2 AM - Girlfriend gets online, webcam/call her, I set nick to away so that I don't have to check IRC every few minutes
3 AM - Do a bit more IA, build trade rings, scan for ghosts. Extra time permitting, scan through the nations for possible rogues.
5 AM - Sleep

Perhaps less work for CN:SE. New alliances without a full government will also need a lot of work. Less work for old, stable, established alliances like GATO and RIA, but still a lot for maintenance.

Still, not enough time to do all those things and it becomes like a full time job without the weekends. It doesn't quite give the satisfaction of actually finishing a job, because we end up doing everything half assed. Not to mention that maintaining a girlfriend also takes a huge chunk of time.
[/quote]
That seems like quite a workload.

The ideal workload I can envision for myself is.
Update-10min : Check boards for targets.
Update: Collect taxes , Pay bills , Deliver a case of whoop ass to some rogue if required (Through years of experimentation I have determined a single can is insufficient to deal with most rogues so an entire case is used just to be sure).
Update + 10 min: Make some pointless posts on OWF
Update + 20 min: Wander into IRC & accept praise and replenish/repair fish dispensers.
Update + Whatever: Wander off and have a life.

People take this game way too seriously. I've encountered way too many who treat it like a job, and even more who take their IC grudges OOC. It is completely fine if RULER of NATION is utterly appalled by the actions of your IC enemies, but the second you start attributing IC actions to someone's OOC persona, you've crossed a line that just shouldn't be crossed.

[quote name='Hereno' timestamp='1298579888' post='2644066']
People take this game way too seriously. I've encountered way too many who treat it like a job, and even more who take their IC grudges OOC. It is completely fine if RULER of NATION is utterly appalled by the actions of your IC enemies, but the second you start attributing IC actions to someone's OOC persona, you've crossed a line that just shouldn't be crossed.
[/quote]
I disagree. I believe that IC asshammers are asshammers in real life, just more concentrated and without the social restrictions to limit their asshammery.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1298646078' post='2644741']
I disagree. I believe that IC asshammers are asshammers in real life, just more concentrated and without the social restrictions to limit their asshammery.
[/quote]

I'm completely different in real life to here, I'm much more docile and non combative.

When I first joined and became active and went up the Government ladder, it became to much like a job and I stepped away from that kind of responsibility. Now I'm much more content to help out on occasions on lower government levels. Or just sit and do nothing but mess around. either or, some people take this to serious for sure. I just like chatting to people, annoying people and laughing at people.

Null vote, because polls suck.