A Formal Invitation from FAN

He Who Has No Name

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just makes me want to be a US resident even more. It's hard being a Canadian with a penchant for guns, though not impossibly so, I'd say maybe just annoyingly so.

To show your sympathy, I think you should send us some of those Zippos. Come on. They're badass.

[quote name='Learz' timestamp='1286993958' post='2483717']
Hypothetically speaking, if one were to build one from, uh, kits and the such, roughly how much would it run (ballpark figure)?
[/quote]
From what I'm hearing it seems you'll need to spend around $1,000 to get all the parts, a little more or less depending on the quality of the parts you go for. The lower part with the FAN flag they're selling will cost you $200, it seems what a lot of people are doing is just getting the lower part for now and the rest of the parts as money allows.

[quote name='Learz' timestamp='1286993958' post='2483717']
Hypothetically speaking, if one were to build one from, uh, kits and the such, roughly how much would it run (ballpark figure)?
[/quote]

For a bare minimum cheap setup you'd probably have ~$700 into the gun. An average quality build would run $1000-$1200. There's really no upper end to the price limit.

Oh man. I'm so tempted!

Also, this gives me a cheap excuse to show off some of my toys.

My mid-length 5.56 shortly after I finished building it:
[img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3107/28590109037089138466100.jpg[/img]
(you can't tell in the crappy photo, but it has the calguns.net lower with California flag logo)

My S&W 15-22:
[img]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5630/25638109035985805243100.jpg[/img]

-Craig

Edited by Comrade Craig

I forgot to mention in my previous post.

If you do not already have an account on fangamers, you need to use an ISP/School/Work Provided email for signup. gmail/freemail aren't allowed for registrations, and you will get a "This email addy is banned" message. It's not you, it's the anon-email. That is doing it.

If you have a friendly FFL and go with used parts, you could put together a decent platform from the lower (The lower is the item considered as "The Firearm", as it has the serial number on it) for around $500, though there are better avenues around that we are sort of experts at to help you get the bang for your buck. (pun intended). We will give advice and videos, but we aren't selling the rest of the parts. There are a lot of companies out there dealing in much higher volumes that we will point you to to get a better deal.

Like Squeebo said, they are like a lego kit. 2 screws, a few pins and springs, and it's hard to put it together "wrong" (other than losing the springs, they tend to go near the speed of sound to a place in the workroom you didn't know existed. )

Quick rundown on parts:

Lower parts kit, fills out the holes/gaps in what you see above is around $125 for a nice trigger, varies a bit.
Stock: Telescoping stock or fixed stock, with buffer tube, around $100
Upper Receiver with barrel: This is where the price varies a LOT, depending if you want rails for lights, grips, night vision, etc. Low end is $250-ish, high end is $2,500-ish (with a good optic).

The platform itself is very accurate, and essentially like a 57 Chevy, no matter what you start out with, you can always change out any parts later. Most of us (FAN Members) have several AR's for different purposes, such as competition, hunting, defense, close range, long range, etc. Others simply swap out the "Upper" (Barrel and upper receiver) for the different applications, using the same lower receiver (pictured in OP).

Edited by brass

[quote name='mpol777' timestamp='1286996270' post='2483748']
For a bare minimum cheap setup you'd probably have ~$700 into the gun. An average quality build would run $1000-$1200. There's really no upper end to the price limit.
[/quote]
Ahh. I'm going to have to pass on that hehheh. Maybe next time around I'll be able to afford it :P

[quote name='jeff barr' timestamp='1287006187' post='2483873']
I love how that Website says MACHINED OUT OF SOLID BILLET!!!!!11!!!!!!!1!11!1!1!, as if there was such a think as hollow billet.......
[/quote]

Machined billet lowers are much better than Cast lowers, where the molten aluminum is poured into a mold to make something close to the final shape you see above, then machined. Cast aluminum cracks quite easily, relatively. Different manufacturers play with words to get more money for an inferior product, hence the precise wording.

We tend to do things on the side of quality, something that if you buy it, it lasts a lifetime. Hence the Zippos, embroidered rather than printed cloth, etc. "Going the cheap route" nearly always ends up costing more a decade or so later, compared to doing it right the first time.

Edited by brass

[quote name='brass' timestamp='1287005901' post='2483868']

Like Squeebo said, they are like a lego kit. 2 screws, a few pins and springs, and it's hard to put it together "wrong" (other than losing the springs, they tend to go near the speed of sound to a place in the workroom you didn't know existed.
[/quote]

Lol. A spring shot out of a lower I was building 2 days ago and it took me about a half hour to find the damn thing.

This is a great opportunity to get a custom base for a slick gun build and the rest of the parts can be purchased as you go. Its much easier for most people to spend $100 - $200 at a time then buying a complete gun for $1000 - $3000. Just start with the stipped lower and come over to fangamers and let us know what you are looking to get out of your rifle. Not only will you have something you made yourself but it will allow you to break up the purchase cost, customize to your application, save money overall, and pull from the experience of FAN on assembly and part selection. :nuke:

[quote name='CDPII' timestamp='1287009972' post='2483917']
Lol. A spring shot out of a lower I was building 2 days ago and it took me about a half hour to find the damn thing.

This is a great opportunity to get a custom base for a slick gun build and the rest of the parts can be purchased as you go. Its much easier for most people to spend $100 - $200 at a time then buying a complete gun for $1000 - $3000. Just start with the stipped lower and come over to fangamers and let us know what you are looking to get out of your rifle. Not only will you have something you made yourself but it will allow you to break up the purchase cost, customize to your application, save money overall, and pull from the experience of FAN on assembly and part selection. :nuke:
[/quote]

:lol1: I had a detent shoot about 30ft out a window from a 2nd floor apartment...I never found it, had to order a new parts kit from brownell's. I keep A LOT of extra parts around now.

Edited by SirSqueeboo