Facepunch Alliance and the Goon Order of Oppression, Negligence, and Sadism are now apart of a protectorate treaty

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='28 May 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1275054666' post='2314564']
Lastly, the article regarding DEFCON level seems a little unnecessary in my opinion. To each his own.
[/quote]

Cue massive over-reaction.

Grats on the protectorate and all that.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='28 May 2010 - 06:14 AM' timestamp='1275045240' post='2314488']
I'm not sure that GOONS was a very good choice as a protector. I question the ability of the GOONS to provide the monetary aid your 256 nations without harbors so desperately need, seeing as they are themselves a very lower tier-heavy alliance. There are tech deals of course, but that's not nearly as effective and you'll need to find quite a massive amount of tech buyers.
[/quote]

[quote name='R3nowned' date='28 May 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1275053113' post='2314549']
I question GOONS as a protector, because, as others have said, there won't be a lot of aid flowing from GOONS to FP - aid that FP needs quite badly.
[/quote]

Got to agree with the other LB and R3nowned on this one. While it's possible to get that aid easy enough through tech deals, it's not as efficient of a delivery system than straight-on aid, which GOONS by themselves is incapable of providing in massive amounts.

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='28 May 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1275054084' post='2314562']
This isn't a surprise at all. Good luck to everyone.
[/quote]

Gotta go with the Zog on this one. Particularly seeing how Syn conducts himself in matters, GOONS was, quite clearly, the logical choice.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='28 May 2010 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1275054666' post='2314564']
Considering Facepunch has 200 members I don't see why a protectorate treaty was needed, considering they already have enough members to be recognized as an alliance by almost all parties. An MDP or something should have sufficed. That said, I am not at all surprised to see this. Based on GOONS' response to my rather benign comment it was quite clear Facepunch was already firmly in its camp. This is merely a formalization.[/quote]

A protectorate works in this case due to the absolute inexperience of those running Facepunch. The first clue that they were in GOONS camp should have been on IRC when the leader of FP was talked through the process of signing up for a SA account.

[quote]That said, the juvenile attitudes often displayed by members of both alliances demonstrates that this treaty is quite appropriate. A match made in heaven even. I am sure that Facepunch will be satisfied in its new role as GOONS' iFOK, doing on red what iFOK has done on purple. Unfortunately I fear NPO is too smart to take any bait thrown at them by Facepunch on GOONS' behest. Deny it all you want, but mark my words world, this will be the future and this is the purpose of this treaty: to give GOONS the reason it needs to intervene when Facepunch suffers the much deserved consequences of whatever actions it will be taking. I can only ponder as to whom is pulling GOONS' strings.[/quote]

GOONS already has an "iFOK" it's called the 'Stupid Newbie Alliance'. This is just another addition.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='28 May 2010 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1275056557' post='2314585']
GOONS already has an "iFOK" it's called the 'Stupid Newbie Alliance'. This is just another addition.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure Stupid Newbie is just the GOONS applicant AA, but I could be wrong.

[quote name='President Obama' date='28 May 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1275056737' post='2314587']
I'm pretty sure Stupid Newbie is just the GOONS applicant AA, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]That would be correct.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='28 May 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1275056557' post='2314585']
A protectorate works in this case due to the absolute inexperience of those running Facepunch. The first clue that they were in GOONS camp should have been on IRC when the leader of FP was talked through the process of signing up for a SA account.[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Nonetheless it is disappointing to see that an alliance of that size being unable to start up without a "protectorate." Just goes to show GOONS does not want an equal partnership. They clearly want to be the dominate partner. They want Facepunch to know that they [GOONS] are in control. So yes, I do fully expect to see within a few months GOONS having Facepunch do some dirty work, trying to get them some CBs. They will become GOONS' little dog. That is the significance of this treaty.[/color]

[quote name='President Obama' date='28 May 2010 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1275056737' post='2314587']
[/quote]

It takes 65 days to join an alliance where you can fill out an app and be added to their roster basically the same day? Really? ;)

I suggest you take a look at some of the alliance seniority numbers for said "applicant" alliance. While membership may be designed to be transitory and such, that's not how it appears to be run currently.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='28 May 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1275057146' post='2314593']
Nonetheless it is disappointing to see that an alliance of that size being unable to start up without a "protectorate." Just goes to show GOONS does not want an equal partnership. They clearly want to be the dominate partner. They want Facepunch to know that they [GOONS] are in control. So yes, I do fully expect to see within a few months GOONS having Facepunch do some dirty work, trying to get them some CBs. They will become GOONS' little dog. That is the significance of this treaty.
[/quote]

I think it far more likely given the history of "invasion alliances" on Planet Bob that most of FP will disappear, with some of the rest ending up in other alliances and the rest merged into GOONS. Whether your scenario takes place instead or not, GOONS hopes to benefit. Had UPN not fumbled the ball, they might well be in the same position.

As I say, we'll see what happens.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='28 May 2010 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1275057244' post='2314595']
It takes 65 days to join an alliance where you can fill out an app and be added to their roster basically the same day? Really? ;)

I suggest you take a look at some of the alliance seniority numbers for said "applicant" alliance. While membership may be designed to be transitory and such, that's not how it appears to be run currently.
[/quote]

Alliances don't generally ghostbust their applicant AA. It is not uncommon to see long stretches in the applicant AA.

[quote name='alyster' date='28 May 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1275058148' post='2314603']
I have to admit I just lost all hope for Facebunch. They seemed like a nice bunch, but then they go off and sign something stupid like this :wacko:
[/quote]

A protectorate? What morons they must be. To think that an alliance of 200 people new to the Cyberverse needs protection and guidance is just crazy. If they had any intelligence they'd just go it alone and make it up as they go along.

I really don't understand why people are so surprised by this. Both alliances enjoy raiding. Both face very similar problems of too many newbies declaring unauthorised wars/Screwing up tech deals(yes Aedan I am looking at you). I'd think GOONs is in the best position to advise FP on these things seeing as they have dealth with these things quite a few times themselves. Economically sure GOONS isn't the best option but other than that I really dont see anything wrong with this treaty.

[quote name='silentkiller' date='28 May 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1275062016' post='2314639']
I'd think GOONs is in the best position to advise FP on these things seeing as they have dealth with these things quite a few times themselves.[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Yes, seeing has how GOONS hasn't raided a protected AA in a long time they certainly have learned how to deal with these issues successfully. Well, maybe that part isn't true, but they sure have discovered a fool proof system in having MK cover them when they mess up. Maybe they can teach Facepunch how to get into MK's good graces.

In case you missed the point, I am saying that you're wrong. GOONS is in no position to teach Facepunch anything. They may have the same problems, yes, but if the protect has no idea how to get its own house in order what makes you think it is in any position to advise another?[/color]

Just because they have the same problems doesn't mean they should be protected by GOONS. In fact it means that they shouldn't, for the sake that they [i]are[/i] struggling with [i]the same[/i] things. Maybe a better move would be a treaty with them and a different protector.

Well, to be honest GOONS did handle the last raid on one of our protected AAs perfectly well. However, I'm not sure extending their diplomats to yet more of the same problems is the ideal situation. But if they can handle the extra workload (which from FP's warscreen would appear to be considerable), then good luck to them.